PDA

View Full Version : best bow lifing prop?

dschifan
10-30-2004, 02:40 PM
I have a 1994 lavey craft sebring 208, the boat is pretty heavy and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what prop to start with to carry the bow?

Kim Hanson
10-30-2004, 03:13 PM
That would be a cleaver........( . )( . ).......... :cool:

CrazyHippy
10-30-2004, 04:14 PM
That would be a cleaver........( . )( . ).......... :cool:
You got it backwards Kim... A cleaver lifts the stern (useful on boats that creat their own lift in the front ie. Cats & tunnels)
A chopper generally lifts the bow, but they like to be run up fairly high , which would require a low water pickup and jackplate :messedup:
I'd give Kevin @ R&R props a call.
His Website (http://www.randrpropshop.com/home.htm) and Phone # (702) 564-7502
He know's his stuff, and is a fellow ***boater :D
Tell him I said HI
BJH

Tom Brown
10-30-2004, 08:00 PM
The best bow lifter I've ever used is a Merc Trophy... and by a wide margine. An inline chopper or SRX might be a good second choice. The current Merc chopper is OK for bow lift too but not as good as the older inline chopper.
I don't subscribe to the Scream & Fly propagated myth that choppers need to be surfaced. When they first came out, jack plates and surface running weren't really around but the choppers still made a big difference on boats that worked well with bow lift. I picked up 6 mph with a small ear chopper on my boat before I installed a jack plate.
Of course, jacking the engine helps the speed quite a bit. If you're running burried, a chopper provides a LOT of steering torque. If you're going to run burried, I'd think about trying a Trophy
... or whatever Kevin at R&R recommends for your setup. :D

CrazyHippy
10-30-2004, 08:30 PM
ON my Avenger I run the motor Buried (it's a ski boat) and it really liked a 24" trophy 4.
I went to Kevin And asked him how to get it out of the water farther (less trim to get it on the pad) and he suggested a 27" Powerquest, and it worked bitchen. Give him a call.
BJH :D

Kim Hanson
10-31-2004, 05:20 PM
You got it backwards Kim... A cleaver lifts the stern (useful on boats that creat their own lift in the front ie. Cats & tunnels)
A chopper generally lifts the bow, but they like to be run up fairly high , which would require a low water pickup and jackplate :messedup:
I'd give Kevin @ R&R props a call.
His Website (http://www.randrpropshop.com/home.htm) and Phone # (702) 564-7502
He know's his stuff, and is a fellow ***boater :D
Tell him I said HI
BJH
I run a chopper, I think I will get a cleaver and try it out! If it sucks...at least I will have a limp home prop :wink: .....( . )( . ).......

Kim Hanson
10-31-2004, 05:25 PM
The best bow lifter I've ever used is a Merc Trophy... and by a wide margine. An inline chopper or SRX might be a good second choice. The current Merc chopper is OK for bow lift too but not as good as the older inline chopper.
I don't subscribe to the Scream & Fly propagated myth that choppers need to be surfaced. When they first came out, jack plates and surface running weren't really around but the choppers still made a big difference on boats that worked well with bow lift. I picked up 6 mph with a small ear chopper on my boat before I installed a jack plate.
Of course, jacking the engine helps the speed quite a bit. If you're running burried, a chopper provides a LOT of steering torque. If you're going to run burried, I'd think about trying a Trophy
... or whatever Kevin at R&R recommends for your setup. :D
Tom thats what makes mine so loud running it, the prop is so close to the surface it makes a nice rooster tail though.........( . )( . ).......

bigkatboat
10-31-2004, 09:08 PM
"DSCHIFAN", does your hull have a long flat center section? Does it 'drag' the outside corners? If it does, the tail is too wet, and the boat needs the center 'keel' built up. The weight needs to ride on the center (for the outboard to work) and if the "pad" is too deep and too long the entire tail drags. This in turn causes the tail to 'lift' and drive the nose in! When the outside corners drag, they also lift the transom. This lift causes the "mass weight" of the boat to shift forward, and the boat drives over. You are "over trimming" to try and correct this but it is not working. A prop change may feel better, but what I have described is the real problem. Take photos of the boat at speed, and you will see what I am talking about. Good luck! PS, when driving, it 'drags', then 'hops', then you "overtrim" to get a smooth but slow ride.

sorry dog
11-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Raker ain't a bad one either for the thru hub variety. I had good speed with little trim with it but it was a turd for acceleration.

Forkin' Crazy
11-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Raker is good three blade. Renegade is a good 4 blade. Both through the hub exhaust.
How heavy is the motor? How much set back?
A CG change aft will affect the running attitude a lot.

TIMEBOMB
11-05-2004, 10:43 AM
What motor combo do you run? If is a Merc go to Mercury Part express punch in your zip, find a dealer in your area that offers demo props and try till you get what you want. I run choppers, cleavers and a merc lightning e.t, it all depends on what the water conditions and boat load are. My fuel tanks are 29 gallons each so fuel load also pays a factor. The E.T has benifits of both the cleaver and the chopper. Good bow lift and also will pick the stern up. Basically it is a round eared cleaver. My cleavers work good with close to empty tanks and the chopper works good with a full fuel load. So depending on how far I plan to travel depends on what prop I run. Try to find either a demo prop or someone that wil let you try one out before you buy. It can get pretty expensive if you buy one and don't get the performance you wanted. :cool: Gary