PDA

View Full Version : 460 probs

rstover1
06-04-2001, 09:40 AM
On a recent outing to the lake I noticed my brand new 460 was blowing oil out of the breather cap its a hardin mariene 460 recently refreshed std bore little bit of a cam also it would run great a about 4300 rpms then the rpms would drop to about 3500 with my foot still in it. It has a 750 vac secondary I think a double pumper would fix some of the problems. Any help whould be great.

mister460
06-04-2001, 10:43 AM
How was the motor broken in? Did you put synthetic oil in the brand new motor? Who put it together? Any warranty? Is it blowing smoke out the exhaust too? Describe with a little more detail and maybe we could work out a solution.

dcraig
06-04-2001, 12:05 PM
Sounds like you have a fuel supply problem to me. Did you change all the fuel filters before running the new motor. Check the tank, all fuel lines, fuel pump, the filter in the carb, etc. A doublepumper/mech. secondary is a good upgrade, but try to fix the problem first.

Havasu Hangin'
06-04-2001, 12:19 PM
Actually, that exact same thing used to happen on my 750 double pumper. It turned out that the secondaries were running out of fuel- dirty cross over tube & passages. A rebuild was in order for me.
I agree with mister460- that oil situation sounds a little more serious. I don't know if the RPMs are related to the oil blow-by, but that's generally not good. How much oil? What do your plugs look like?

rstover1
06-04-2001, 12:36 PM
Not much oil just a little it was broke in running at an idle about 1500 rpms for about 30 min with 10w-40 not synthetic no oil out of the exaust. It has a pcv valve on one valve cover and a breather on the other. New fuel filters and fuel line were installed when the motor was put back in. The tank was flushed at a radiator shop. Both filters stay full of fuel. Also ran boat at about 25 mph for the first 2 hours on the water then the oil was changed and noticed the problems after that.

rstover1
06-04-2001, 12:40 PM
Also the plugs are just light tan no burnt oil. The motor was put together buy Charlies performance Ford I've got a call into charlie as we speak. He told me when he put it toghther that he would fix any problems but I wanted you fellas to give me an opinion first. thanks mister460

spectras only
06-04-2001, 01:05 PM
It sounds like a premature blowby .Not very encouraging when you just had the engine done.There's a possibility the rings were installed the wrong way.Try a new PCV anyway,and check if there's a baffle plate under the breather cap inside the valvecover.Hopefully you just need time for your rings to set in?Also I would go up to the 850 Holley marine carb with vac secondary.It has 88 primaries and 94 secondaries.Try it you'll like it as the phrase goes,hehe.You didn't mentioned if your 750 carb was checked or rebuilt? Occasionally the diaphragm [membrane] can fail and is readily available at speedshops.You check it with engine off,throttle wide open and push the rod upwards and see if it settles back nicely to its original position after you let it go.You can change the diaphragm spring rate also.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 04, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 04, 2001).]

mister460
06-05-2001, 11:48 AM
Spectras is right, the rings or just one set of them may have been installed upside down. This would cause alot of combustion blowby, hence oil out the breather. Try checking the power valve on the carb, too. They can blow out with the slightest hiccup of the engine. Was it ran at a constant 25 mph of was the speed varied? Constant speed during break in is BAD. But doesn't sound catastrophic though. Maybe a broken ring or somethin'. Good luck regardless!

rstover1
06-05-2001, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the help guys charlie is checking compression. said hed fix any problems not constant 25 average crusing around the lake.

77charger
06-05-2001, 07:51 PM
Is it blowing smoke or oil.smoke would indicate blowby.If it is oil what kind of valve covers do you have .if they do not have a baffle in them oil will seep out that was a problem on my boat bought new covers with baffles and the problem went away more common as the rpms increase.

06-05-2001, 08:38 PM
Before losing your cool over a freah engine with a little bit of blow-by give it a chance to fully break in. 460s not bored with a torque plate will take alot longer to seat the rings. This is because the head bolts torque to 135-145lbs and this will distort the cylinders as much as .003-.004"

jroos
06-09-2001, 12:19 PM
Dude, Relax. 460 isn`t completely broken in. Had same prob with mine. As for falling on its face, MINE TOO. Checked tach rev limiter, not, checked high fire 4c box limiter,not, intake leaks vacuum leaks, not. Perko was pinching fuel line. Mine though was not able to idle below 1000. 750 vac is fine. Im runnin a 750 4150 series mechanical double pump dual feed. Fuel restriction is deffinately your problem. Break motor COMPLETELY IN and the smoke will go away. You will always see a little on start up and shut down. Ford big boys all do it. Some more than others.

froggystyle
06-10-2001, 01:23 AM
You know what you could do would be do the classic Ford performance upgrade kit. It guarantees you 100 to 150 horsepower with nothing else added.

rstover1
06-10-2001, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the help everone but I sold the taylor and bought somthing I know more about a bbc in my dream boat a condor tx 19 with a dominator pump.