PDA

View Full Version : Need Place Diverter help!

NordicSquirt
08-18-2001, 08:53 PM
I am installing Place Diverter tonight, and am having trouble with steering cable. The pump is old style Dominator. When I went to hook up steering cable, there is a space (1 1/2) between steering arm(off of Diverter) and steering cable (from boat). Any body else have this problem?

flat broke
08-18-2001, 10:03 PM
Ive had a similar problem on a 12JG and rectified it by using a longer bolt with a 1' piece of stainless bar stock with a hole drilled down the middle of it for the longer bolt. Works fine and only cost a couple of bucks.
Chris

NordicSquirt
08-18-2001, 10:09 PM
Thanks, I thought about that, but wondered about strength. Anyways, better go to the old Machince Shop down the road tomorrow.

Rat Raft
08-19-2001, 08:20 AM
Grt that baby running, next Sunday will be here before you know it. I had to make a spacer for mine too, I used a piece of aluminum and a long bolt, but I didnt need as much as you do. Did you get the motor running yet?

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-19-2001, 01:36 PM
Thats typical dude.....I am went to Lowes and in the hardware dept. they have a bin with S.S. sleeves that work great for shims. They should have one that will fit perfect. MAKE SURE YOU USE LOCKTITE. I went so far as to drill a small hole in the nut and bolt then installed a cotter pin just to be on the safe side. I have been running it like this for 2 years now without problems.

NordicSquirt
08-19-2001, 08:01 PM
I made a spacer out of square steel stock, so far so good. I finished the motor today, and took it out for a shakedown. No problems, just need more break in time. Thanks.