PDA

View Full Version : strippin heads

shaun
11-01-2004, 05:17 PM
I dont see why there would be a problem with this but i just wanted to check.
Can i use aircraft stripper to remove the paint on the inside of the heads? The heads i have somebody painted the inside of them and i'd rahter strip that off so it doesnt end up in my engine.

Moneypitt
11-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Are the heads bare, valves out etc.? You may not want to use any heavy duty stripper around the valve seals, so if the heads are still assembled I would say NO...Disassembled, ok strip away..........MP

shaun
11-01-2004, 05:32 PM
The heads are still intact, i have a spring compressor would i be able to pull everything off that would be harmed by a heavy duty stripper? I've never had a pair of heads that where painted on the inside before so if anybody has experience on doing this i'd like to hear it!

GofastRacer
11-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Shaun, strip them and get them hot tanked, that way they will be totally clean!...And don't repaint them on the inside!..

BGMAN203
11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Do what go fast said. I can see that paint screwing up your new motor if it starts to come off

Underfunded
11-01-2004, 10:27 PM
That would seem ugly for sure. I read someplace summit paints their parts sometimes.

Moneypitt
11-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Alot of rebuilders paint the inside of heads, and blocks. They apply the paint right out of the hot tank to prevent rust. This paint, when correctly applied will stay on. Oil run down/back is aided by this coating, but the idea of any of the paint peeling and winding up in the oil screen is scary at best. If the paint is still on after a season of use, I'd leave it on, and hope for the best. Any paint will be removed by the hot tank during rebuild, and unless it is re-applied right after tanking leave it off. I've seen more oil pickups fouled with plastic timing gear pieces than paint, as well as excess silicone from squeeze out during assembly. If you take any off, take it all off...........MP

GofastRacer
11-02-2004, 08:21 AM
I used to paint all my blocks and heads for a long time with no problems, then I had one that the paint came off, fortunately I caught in time before I ended up with spun bearings, that was the last time I used paint. If I want to oil to flow easier I polish!...

LakesOnly
11-02-2004, 09:39 AM
I used to paint all my blocks...then I had one that the paint came off...that was the last time I used paint. If I want to oil to flow easier, I polish!...
Yeah, baby:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Shortblock_Overhead-med.jpg
Actually Shaun, if you look carefully, you can see that even the cast surfaces of the cylinder heads were polished this way too...for the same reason:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Valve_Train_Install-med.jpg
Blast the paint off, then get yourself a lo-o-o-o-o-t of flapper wheels, buddy! :D And be sure to clean all parts thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly when your finished.
LO

rrrr
11-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah, baby:
Actually Shaun, if you look carefully, you can see that even the cast surfaces of the cylinder heads were polished this way too...for the same reason:
Blast the paint off, then get yourself a lo-o-o-o-o-t of flapper wheels, buddy! :D And be sure to clean all parts thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly when your finished.
LO
Now here's a guy with too much time on his hands......
:D :D

shaun
11-02-2004, 01:39 PM
I dont plan on repainting the inside of the heads, there have been many posts on here about doing that and the posts allways end up with the majority saying it's a bad idea.
Will hottanking absolutly remove the paint from the heads? I didnt think it would, in fact i think i remember somebody saying that there machinest was amazed that the paint held up so well after they hottanked the block.
I have a spring compressor, will i be able to remove all the components and use aircraft stripper or is it just a bad idea?

GofastRacer
11-02-2004, 01:46 PM
A good shop will have a good hot tank and it will take it off but you can use a stripper if you don't mind the mess. A spring compressor is all you need to dissasemble the heads which needs to be done anyways!.. :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Now here's a guy with too much time on his hands......
:D :D
You aint even lying about that :2purples: :2purples: I thought i ha alot of time on my hands polishing my jet :2purples: lakes whenever you want to polish the insie of my motor just holla at me;) i will be glad to rive it over to you;)