PDA

View Full Version : 32 FT for 100k

cdog
11-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Damm! I was just toolin around and saw this add in offshore only.
32 Ft Boat with twins for 100k. What a f'in deal. I got a feeling these west coast guys are pounding us in the ass with their prices.
http://www.sunsationboats.com/

Kilrtoy
11-01-2004, 11:30 PM
That does look good, but that boat needs alot more HP than that so tac on another 75K for the blue motors and now you have a boat and again its now 175K plus tax.....

cdog
11-01-2004, 11:32 PM
That does look good, but that boat needs alot more HP than that so tac on another 50K for the blue motors and now you have a boat and again its now 150K plus tax.....
It will probably do 70 with the small block twins and remember if you take out of state delivery you have no sales tax.

canuck1
11-01-2004, 11:33 PM
That does look good, but that boat needs alot more HP than that so tac on another 50K for the blue motors and now you have a boat and again its now 150K plus tax.....
Why does it need more motor?

Kilrtoy
11-01-2004, 11:34 PM
To slow the 500's get it to around 82-84 if I remember correctly

BADBLOWN572
11-01-2004, 11:43 PM
I would not say that the west coast companies are raping anyone on the price. Coming from within the industry and knowing what things cost, it would be really hard to hit that # in terms of cost much less retail. That boat offered I am sure is stripped. It did say that it has a pair of 6.2 Mercury motors. Those are twin small blocks that are way under powered for a 32' boat. I also do not know what type of amenities these boats have. There are plenty of ways to strip costs out of the boat, but it is not always the best way to go. Chances are that when you get that boat fully decked out, you will be easily in the same area as the cost of the west coats builders.

cdog
11-01-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't know i've just been there and done that. A Procharger on each one of those 6.2's and it would hang with the efi 500's. I built a pretty acceptional boat with shockwave and it would have cost 130k with all of the goodies. Imco SC drive,stand off box and hydro steering. And thats assuming the engine package was around 12k.

cdog
11-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Procharger shows 540 HP with the 7psi kit. Plus the engine weights 150 pounds a piece lighter. Add a couple of gauges and your own Stereo and BAM!
A bad ass boat.

BADBLOWN572
11-02-2004, 12:10 AM
I would bet that if you went to quite a few west coast builders and had them price out a stripped 32' (or close to it) boat with 6.2's you would be around the same price. Once you get a good set of tabs, interior upgrades, trailor, gages, controls, steering, stereo, etc... you will definitely be up there in price! Where the boat is built doesn't have much $$$ difference. Only real difference is that the big boats are typically built back east so that is where you hear the most about them.

Kilrtoy
11-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Your absolutely correct BB572, the stripped price is cheap and once you put a stereo, motors, tabs, hinges, trailer ugrades, external steering, custom paint, gps, this little nic nac that little nic nac you just increased the price by 70K

cdog
11-02-2004, 12:41 AM
If I could cut and paste the add I would. It comes with tabs and hydro steering, pump out-only need that if you have a on board shitter. Does not sound stripped to me.
Are there any sunsation owners here? If so what do they have to say about these boats.

cdog
11-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Hell I have a brand new 29 ft shockwave. If anyone knows what these cost its me. And this deal looks pretty dam good.

Sane Asylum
11-02-2004, 05:08 AM
That does look good, but that boat needs alot more HP than that so tac on another 75K for the blue motors and now you have a boat and again its now 175K plus tax.....
My .02 since I own one of these......
The 6.2's will push it to 70+. It's like every other boat made on the planet.....If you wanna play your gunna pay. It doesn't need blue motors to go 80+. I've got HO's and can get 81mph GPS all day. My build sheet price ended up at $142K (but that's not what I paid). Big options were.........496HO's/Bravo1's, IMCO Hydraulic steering, tabs, dual charger, shorepower, extra deck hatch, transom shower, vacu-flush head and that's it. I added A/C and a 13 inch flatscreen and upgraded the sound.
That boat at 99K is still a deal with a lot of options built into the price. The best thing you get is all the laminate technology with vacuum bagging. My hull/deck/console doesn't have one crack, rattle or anything else with 185 hours on it. It doesn't spider crack like my baja did (badly).
The nice thing about it is the ride........It takes Mohave Lake Basin 3-4 chop like champ........ :D (but then so did blings badass cat during the last ADRII
I'm sure this note will turn into a ford vs chevy event.....Let the flaming begin..... :cry:

Havasu Hangin'
11-02-2004, 05:12 AM
I've always thought Sunsations were great boats for the money. Didn't the owner (Dave, I think?) used to post here?

Sane Asylum
11-02-2004, 05:39 AM
I've always thought Sunsations were great boats for the money. Didn't the owner (Dave, I think?) used to post here?
Dunno if he posted here but he's not the owner......He's a Veep and head marketing guy that's taken over the "Ask Sunsation" section of their website....
Great guy and very accessible. (as is the rest of the staff and tech guys there..)

Sane Asylum
11-02-2004, 05:45 AM
Dunno if he posted here but he's not the owner......He's a Veep and head marketing guy that's taken over the "Ask Sunsation" section of their website....
Great guy and very accessible. (as is the rest of the staff and tech guys there..)

Havasu Hangin'
11-02-2004, 06:35 AM
Yeah...that was him. This was years ago, but this (http://www.***boat.com/forums/member.php?u=1041) might be the screename he currently uses.
I wish more of these builders would stick around, but I can understand with all the keyboard-based bashing they take.
If you've ever crawled around one, those Sunsations are really nice boats...the cost is just an added benefit, IMO.

Sane Asylum
11-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Yeah...that was him. This was years ago, but this (http://www.***boat.com/forums/member.php?u=1041) might be the screename he currently uses.
I wish more of these builders would stick around, but I can understand with all the keyboard-based bashing they take.
If you've ever crawled around one, those Sunsations are really nice boats...the cost is just an added benefit, IMO.
HH.....Thanks, we like it. Next boat for is probably going to be a cig though.....
We just got a taste of ocean cruising about 3 weeks ago....Took the boat to Catalina and stayed about three days....Got hooked... :D ....Need the big cig for the deep blue ocean......
We actually have a dealer in phoenix....Boatplex. He's also the eliminator guy, and he's also a dickhe@d. He could sell boats but he's cocky as hell and he dogs his own products (because he's partial to the margins from his eliminators). Walked up to his shop one day and one of his techs was in a brand spankin new customers 32' eliminator with greasy gritty tennis shoes walkin all over the guys vinyl.....I couldn't stand it....I asked him why......His response..."It'll clean up".....
Needless to say....My boat doesn't go there for service.....
Extreme Marine is the place in Phoenix....those guys give a chit.....

Jordy
11-02-2004, 07:51 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you built two identical boats, same size, same power, same rigging, similar reputation as quality builders, but one was built East coast and one was built West coast, the West coast one would be considerably higher considering the higher overhead that California is known for creating. That is, the utilities, rent, taxes, fees, surcharges, labor costs, surcharge surcharges.... and on and on and on. Especially when you consider a company like Sunsation that is located in Michigan. I'm going to guess that the cost of doing buisiness in Algonac is a little cheaper than in Corona or the like. ;)

Quality Time
11-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Dave is still around.
The boat may not have all the bells and whistles, but many of the standard features are options on other boats. Granted, the 6.2's are mild as far as power is concerned, but 70 isn't bad. Also, getting at the motors for maintenance is a little more enjoyable than with big motors and a slight weight savings. The boat also comes with McLeod II Bolsters which are power, very nice, and a pricey option.
Still a damn good deal for somone looking to step up to twins.

RiverToysJas
11-02-2004, 08:20 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you built two identical boats, same size, same power, same rigging, similar reputation as quality builders, but one was built East coast and one was built West coast, the West coast one would be considerably higher considering the higher overhead that California is known for creating. That is, the utilities, rent, taxes, fees, surcharges, labor costs, surcharge surcharges.... and on and on and on. Especially when you consider a company like Sunsation that is located in Michigan. I'm going to guess that the cost of doing buisiness in Algonac is a little cheaper than in Corona or the like. ;)
You are correct Jordy! Ca has some of the toughest (worst...best...depends how you look at it) EPA laws in the country. It's defintately more expensive to produce something that uses chemicals in this state.
As for twin small blocks, I think that's a great package on a 30~ish foot boat. Twin 6.2 equals a total of 640hp @ 2088lbs (total drive & motor), compared to Twin 496HO's that equal a total of 850ph @ 2398lb. So you get 230 more HP to over come 310lbs. Which isplenty, you will go faster....but ....those big blocks will suck more fuel, cost $13,000-16,000 more upfront (total for both), and require higher insurance. I know there are those here who just want to go as fast as possible, no matter what the cost. This may come as a shock to those people, but IMHO, that's not required to have a great day on the water and build lots of family memories.
RTJas :D

Sane Asylum
11-02-2004, 08:27 AM
You are correct Jordy! Ca has some of the toughest (worst...best...depends how you look at it) EPA laws in the country. It's defintately more expensive to produce something that uses chemicals in this state.
As for twin small blocks, I think that's a great package on a 30~ish foot boat. Twin 6.2 equals a total of 640hp @ 2088lbs (total drive & motor), compared to Twin 496HO's that equal a total of 850ph @ 2398lb. So you get 230 more HP to over come 310lbs. Which isplenty, you will go faster....but ....those big blocks will suck more fuel, cost $13,000-16,000 more upfront (total for both), and require higher insurance. I know there are those here who just want to go as fast as possible, no matter what the cost. This may come as a shock to those people, but IMHO, that's not required to have a great day on the water and build lots of family memories.
Well said

cdog
11-02-2004, 08:28 AM
I bet the guy's that build them speak english. 3/4 of all the boat builders here in Socal use nothin but gardener looking people to build their boats. Go in to the shop and it looks like a TJ half way house.

cdog
11-02-2004, 08:31 AM
You are absolutly correct. :D I was guessing but you have the math.

MagicMtnDan
11-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Looks like a great deal to me. Does it come with a trailer?
http://www.sunsationboats.com/32br.jpg

carbonmarine
11-02-2004, 09:15 AM
I have my 2002 for sale with those mean blue engines ... $107K obo
The boat is CLEAN, FAST & Custom.... I could hit 89 mph ALL day long up and down havasu all the way from springs to topoc if I wanted too....
Here the details : http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/7/76001967.htm
Come 'on down !
Rick32

Sane Asylum
11-02-2004, 09:17 AM
I have my 2002 for sale with those mean blue engines ... $107K obo
The boat is CLEAN, FAST & Custom.... I could hit 89 mph ALL day long up and down havasu all the way from springs to topoc if I wanted too....
Here the details : http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/7/76001967.htm
Come 'on down !
Rick32
Do you have 43'itis ???? Is there a new, bigassed Sunsation in your future...? :eat:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
11-02-2004, 09:19 AM
what is everybody getting tritoons

MagicMtnDan
11-02-2004, 09:22 AM
what is everybody getting tritoons
Well, why are you selling your badazz 32? :confused:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
11-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Well, why are you selling your badazz 32? :confused:
I may have to do some cut backs
DV sell is everything goes the way I want it