PDA

View Full Version : Is AOL any good....

Mrs Big Boy Toys
02-27-2003, 08:20 AM
I was just wondering if AOL as great as they say it is.....Anyone using Aol?

Jordy
02-27-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm on it and it doesn't do much to impress me. I just don't know what I'd change over to at this point and I've been here for so long that I'm just kind of staying put right now.

Oldsquirt
02-27-2003, 08:38 AM
I've had AOL since the days of the 2400 modems. My only complaint back then was with the lack of access numbers they had in those days. Trying to get on when I got home from work(along with every one else) could be a problem. Currently have their DSL service and have not had any trouble at all with service since I changed.
I often hear all sorts of negative comments from non AOL users, but have yet to hear those same complaints from any of the friends of mine that use AOL.

BlownHowardCat
02-27-2003, 08:41 AM
AOL is ok.......I dont like how the browser works.......so i use the microsoft internet explorer for my browser......the aol friends list sucks........you cant leave offline msgs like ya can with yahoo........AOL's dsl works ok if ya dont mind paying the 50 some bucks a month.....just my $ .02 cents worth......laterzzzz

LVjetboy
02-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Aol sucks. I don't use it for very good reason. There are some Aol features that may(?) be good though targeted. Like parental controls and instant messaging...things I have no use for. Not that you can't have these features with a different service of course.
Consider the price, consider their track record, consider the cost of their marketing campaigns. That money has to come from somewhere. Also, consider a lot of their customers complain online about Aol's service, but are afraid to switch because they feel it would be too difficult and a hassle changing email addresses. I've personally talked to Aol users and got that exact same response. Aol's strength is they catered to new computer buyers through free cd's and operating system bundle deals, but in the end their value's near zippo. Hook the new user then they'll stick because they think it's too hard and complicated to switch. Comfort in the familiar even if poor service.
Aol's vision for the internet is pure marketing and money. They want to control your internet experience to their own profit, not to your benefit. Whereas the value of the internet is free and open access to information, their view is to market and control your access to their profit margin. Why do Aol members have more problems than other ISP's with spam email? Why is it Aol members are continually harrased with annoying popups and ads and a slow and buggy interface to the web? Because their vision from the top was never customer oriented. Their vision of the internet was never freedom of information. Only recently this vision has changed...at least from what their latest CEO claims...only because the red ink was bleeding profusely. Subscriber RETENTION is now a big issue. Now why exactly was that? Geee...I donno. Certainly wasn't good service. I think their service has improved somewhat...you'd have to ask a subscriber, but I will never forgive the founder of Aol for his distorted marketing view of the value of the internet.
jer

Dog
02-28-2003, 02:30 AM
I agree with LVjetboy .... i want to control my own internet experience AOL wants you to have it there way or no way.
And once AOL is installed on your computer it is almost impossible to get everything they put on it out of your system.

Mandelon
02-28-2003, 10:07 AM
I've got a bunch of those free AOL disks....I use them for coasters!
[ February 28, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

stressedout
02-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Dog:
I agree with LVjetboy .... i want to control my own internet experience AOL wants you to have it there way or no way.
And once AOL is installed on your computer it is almost impossible to get everything they put on it out of your system. I agree 100%, and when you cancel they continue to bill for service, I called several times to straighten this out, they were very unprofessional and rude, after several calls and 4 months later they credited my charge card. Then 6 months later I started getting charged again, several more calls, did no good they said I signed up for service again, so I finally reported them to the ftc and disputed it on my credit card.
AOL SUCKS........

Rexone
03-01-2003, 12:29 AM
AOL sucks
I use those disks for frisbees...they do work fair for that!

Wet Dream
03-02-2003, 11:12 AM
I've had AOl for 7+ years now and I still hate it. As a matter of fact, we just cancelled it and use my email address and IM things for $3/month.

Kim Hanson
03-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Wet Dream:
I've had AOl for 7+ years now and I still hate it. As a matter of fact, we just cancelled it and use my email address and IM things for $3/month. There is alot of free e-mail's out there, do a google.com search and you won't believe it! I have used alot of them :D

grimreaper
03-11-2003, 02:38 PM
who offers the LARGEST freebie email account?

Freak
03-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Get another provider - such as Earthlink. AOL has a bunch of fluff and nonsense you don't need.