PDA

View Full Version : Initial Holley Setup..

WriedtStuff
11-02-2004, 02:51 PM
I tried to fire off the engine this weekend....it will fire and run for a couple seconds when I pour gas in the carb.....
But I am sure I do not have the carb setup right...I put a re-build kit in it a while back....but I need to know how to adjust it enough to just get the motor running and then do some fine tuning.
It is a 4 barrell double pumper 3300 series Holley.
Are there any basic adjustments that can be done with it mounted on the motor that will be close enough to get it running?
Thanks

Licketty Split
11-02-2004, 07:21 PM
First I think I would check the simple things, like are you getting fuel to the carb bowls, is the pump working, did you put gas in the tank, or was that beer?!? :confused: . After that I would set the initial idle screws all the way in then back them out 3 halves (1.5 turns) this should be rich but should get you fired. If you still do not have any fire and you are shure that the carb is the source of all of your problems get a rebuild kit and refer to the specs on this page http://holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/CarbList.pdf (http://) good luck :)

Squirtin Thunder
11-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Check float level !!!! :idea:

steelcomp
11-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Check Float level....but I'm not yellin at ya. :rolleyes:

texas-19
11-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Good suggestions.Sounds like you need to get one of your jet boat buddies who knows a holley and explain the basics to you.That would be the SAFEST thing to do. You keep pouring gas down the carb their is a good chance for a backfire then you have a fire.Believe me i speak from experience.What is that smell?Maybe some singed hair? :2purples:

Moneypitt
11-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Fill the fuel bowls through the bowl vents. Use a small (coleman) type funnel and a piece of fuel line. Pour a couple of ounces in each vent tube. Operate the throttle shaft and be sure the accelerator pumps are pumping, wait about 3-5 minutes, give it one shot on the primaries only, close the throttle, and hit the ignition. If it doesn't start look for something besides the carb/fuel as the problem.......MP
PS: whats a 3300 series holley?

WriedtStuff
11-05-2004, 10:54 AM
a 3310 is a Holley 750cfm 4bbl with vacuum secondaries.....

Moneypitt
11-06-2004, 09:47 AM
The 3310 is the "list" #.(not 750, maybe 780) The series for a vac secondary is 4160, 4150 being a double pumper series, then the spread bores,4165/4175, and the dom.4500 series. Again, fill the front bowl, make sure it squirts and follow above suggestions........
PS A 3310 is an antique......some later carbs were 3310-1/2/3/. What is the history of that carb, those came out in 1957 on 312 fords........

Nucking futs
11-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Make sure you used the right gaskets.The wrong ones will block off the ports you need on a vac. carbontooter.But i would check the floats first...Tim

Moneypitt
11-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Tim, aren't the front metering block to body gaskets the same for the 4150/4160?????? I know the sec metering plate is a whole different deal, as well as the acc pump slot in the bowl to metering block did have some changes over the years. Again that carb, if truly a 3310, is older than dirt....What is it's history?????? And are the pieces correct??? Swap meet deal?? If this boat still won't start, and you feel it is a carb problem, try someone else's carb, just to see..........

DaveA
11-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Also check the less obvious stuff. Timing? Retarded? That is, if you had to move or remove the distributor.
Also, did it suck some water out of the tank and into the carb? I've had this happen before...just this summer...after doing a rebuild on a carb. The boat had been sitting a long time, and the tanks were practically empty...of fuel :D . Sucked the water into the bowls, couldn't figger it out for a while until I checked the fuel filter! Wow, no wonder there wasn't any fire in the hole!
DaveA

Nucking futs
11-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Tim, aren't the front metering block to body gaskets the same for the 4150/4160?????? I know the sec metering plate is a whole different deal, as well as the acc pump slot in the bowl to metering block did have some changes over the years. Again that carb, if truly a 3310, is older than dirt....What is it's history?????? And are the pieces correct??? Swap meet deal?? If this boat still won't start, and you feel it is a carb problem, try someone else's carb, just to see..........
The metering gaskets look the same but have a different port block off.If it was wrong i think it would just dump gas into the manifold.

jtmarten
11-06-2004, 05:47 PM
The series for a vac secondary is 4160, 4150 being a double pumper series, .......
I thought the 4160's had side-hung floats with a single inlet and the 4150's have center-hung floats with dual inlets. I've got 2 715cfm 4150's, 1 auto and 1 marine and they're both vac secondaries.

WriedtStuff
11-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Here's an update....
I filled the bowls and got it started...but it is running really really rich. I have the fuel level set on the primary side but it will not go down on the secondary side....the fuel level is too high in the bowl even though I have the setting as low as it will go.....
So I need the next step....Symptoms are: Running really rich and will not idle...it does accellerate very nicely though...
Maybe just need newer carb....any body got one they want to sell?

jtmarten
11-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Here's an update....
Iit will not go down on the secondary side....the fuel level is too high in the bowl even though I have the setting as low as it will go.....
Check the float to make sure its not filled with fuel. Also check that the needle valve is being contacted by the float tab. Sometimes you'll have to bend the tab that closes the valve so it makes contact and actually closes the valve.

CrdStang
11-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I'd bet your secondary side needle & seat valve is stuck. It's an extremely common problem with Holleys. You get a tiny bit of trash in there and the valve can't seal so the bowl overflows. Not good.
Pull the needle & seat assembly out and hose it out real good with WD-40. Slap it back in and try again. I ball-park the float level, you want about three threads of the needle&seat assembly sticking out of the bowl.
With a Holley it's essential your fuel system is totally clean. I run three filters on my car.
This is also why I won't be running a Holley on my boat

WriedtStuff
11-08-2004, 05:55 PM
I checked the needle and seat on both bowls and they were clean...they are brand new also..as I just put a kit in the carb....I even bent the tabs on the floats some to make the it cut off the fuel flow as soon as posible....Still cannot get it to run right....Still running way too rich and will not idle....
Maybe I should just try another carb...I think a 750 cfm is what I need but what model should I look for...
Does anyone have a good carb in the garage they need to get rid of? I want one ready to bolt on a run...no more rebuilding.
Thanks