PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Plastics

BADBLOWN572
11-02-2004, 03:59 PM
What does everyone use to polish plastic? Basically I have a set of plastics on my dirtbike that has lost the shine that it had in past seasons. What would you recommend to use to polish it up and restore the shine? Cant be anything too abrasive because it is plastic, but water does not do anything to it.
Thanks,
BB572

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-02-2004, 04:01 PM
I am only answering this cuz I used to work for a plastics company, there is a product called Brillianize that cleans and shines up plastic. you can get it at Home Depot I think. Work great on goggles too. :) :cool:

Jbb
11-02-2004, 04:01 PM
The best there is.........Micromesh... (http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/acrylic_plastic_hand_kits.htm)

NastyOne
11-02-2004, 04:02 PM
If I was you I would just buy new plastics. Your never going to make the old ones look new again. They sell a scratch and polish kit but it doesnt work for shit :notam:

bordsmnj
11-02-2004, 04:12 PM
mirror glaze 38.(or was it 18?) works killer on goggles.should work good and the small stuff. big stuff -what are yuh gonna do?(f-it) touch up with mop and glow(no kidding). Hey Dan you goin' riddin this weekend?

Sleek-Jet
11-02-2004, 04:47 PM
mirror glaze 38.(or was it 18?) works killer on goggles.should work good and the small stuff. big stuff -what are yuh gonna do?(f-it) touch up with mop and glow(no kidding). Hey Dan you goin' riddin this weekend?
Mirror Glaze 10 is great for clear plastic as well. It comes in the little blue bottle.

Jordy
11-02-2004, 04:55 PM
PJ1 Renew and Protect works wonders on plastics. :D

BADBLOWN572
11-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey Dan you goin' riddin this weekend?
Been thinking about it, but not sure. Should know probably by tomorrow night. If so, it is going to be out in Dumont.

Cheap Thrills
11-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Believe it or not for the price you cant beatBrasso
It works exetremely well compaired to the cornucopia of other things I've tried ! on it's list of uses it even suggests plastic watch crystals.
I've even managed to polish out some Fugly looking data CDs well enough to use with it .
C.T. :wink:

bordsmnj
11-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Been thinking about it, but not sure. Should know probably by tomorrow night. If so, it is going to be out in Dumont.
linda and i thinking about just going for early sat morn. just got sand stars all the way around.think we might tent it and if it aint tentable we'll drive to a hotel somewhere or home.i'm gonna ride this weekend at some point just crazy busy this week to think about it yet.

sanger mike
11-02-2004, 06:56 PM
I use WD-40 on the plastic on all our mx bikes :eek: old school, but it works great.

Desert Rat
11-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I use FLITZ (http://www.flitz.com/) I just polished out the yellow tint that you get on your plastic headlights (10 year old truck) The stuff works great on aluminum too!!

Bense468
11-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Pledge :wink:

bordsmnj
11-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Hmmmm. kicks ass on the boat and i just happen to have some. i'm gonna try i little tomorrow and see how well it works. good idea.

BADBLOWN572
11-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Well, believe it or not Pledge worked wonders. My buddy came over and told me to use it. I tried it out on the back fender and it worked!!! Believe it or not it worked out better than I thought it would. Just brought the luster back to the bike. I am really happy with how it worked out.

Scarab Jet
11-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Try Peanut butter... Worked great on the bug deflector on my truck...

Topock Junkie
11-02-2004, 10:11 PM
I've been doing this for a long time. Mop and Glow is the best. Just squirt it on a rag and wipe. Your plastics will look like new and you won't see the scraches.

Topock Junkie
11-02-2004, 10:15 PM
linda and i thinking about just going for early sat morn. just got sand stars all the way around.think we might tent it and if it aint tentable we'll drive to a hotel somewhere or home.i'm gonna ride this weekend at some point just crazy busy this week to think about it yet.
Ok are you going to ride this weekend or sit home and smoke pole.

malibuken
11-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Gets my vote !
I have been using it on my street bikes for years, works great on the face shield on the helmet as well. Leaves a bit of wax on the plastic so bugs and stuff do not stick as much.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Ok are you going to ride this weekend or sit home and smoke pole.
Maybe both, Smartass!!
Are you guys home this weekend or in Topock?? :messedup:

phebus
11-03-2004, 09:56 AM
I've been doing this for a long time. Mop and Glow is the best. Just squirt it on a rag and wipe. Your plastics will look like new and you won't see the scraches.
I second the mop and glow. Works great!!

AZmike
11-03-2004, 12:43 PM
I slang plastic everyday and we use brillianize and novus products. They both work great... Let me know if you want to try some novus I have samples... I can send you...

Bense468
11-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Can I get some love for the Pledge. Glamis Secrets man...My banshee looks and runs good. Gotta keep it that way

bordsmnj
11-03-2004, 05:37 PM
kicked yuh some green ysterday. i must wait to kick chickletts today.

Dr. Eagle
11-03-2004, 05:43 PM
I am only answering this cuz I used to work for a plastics company, there is a product called Brillianize that cleans and shines up plastic. you can get it at Home Depot I think. Work great on goggles too. :) :cool:
They sell it at Tap Plastics too. I bought a gallon of it and use it on the boat windshield. And it also works as a good glaze for the fiberglass between waxings... :cool: