PDA

View Full Version : Employment Training ?

Her454
11-03-2004, 02:30 PM
How much and how often does your job require it? I have 8 hour/1 week classes at least once a month with other smaller 1 or two hour classes at least a twice a month also. I HATE THEM and some require alot of travel.
Mine are all paid for and on COMPANY TIME.
My sister has alot of hers on the weekends that the company (A large Insurance Company) pays for, but the time is on their own. (This does not make sense to me?)
I've been at my job for almost 13 years so Im used to it and dont really remember life before this company :o so I was just curious as to how much training/time do you require if any?

lucky
11-03-2004, 02:34 PM
I' M SELF TRAINED - I GET AROUND THE NET LOL :2purples:

JustMVG
11-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Our Training consists of 8 to 12 hours days 5 -6 days a week, they call it "On The Job Training" :cool:
MikeVG

HCS
11-03-2004, 02:35 PM
None. I sell auto parts. :hammerhea
Actually we have know your product training. It's all online.
Other than that you just drink beer and sell parts. :)

clownpuncher
11-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm constantly taking in-service classes. Haz-mat, Medical, FAA stuff etc. Most are on duty, but, I do have to travel around. All required and paid with O/T. Still a pain sometimes though.

SHOTKALLIN
11-03-2004, 02:41 PM
I get trained 3 times a year. 8 hour classes. Those are mandatory. There are tons of classes I could pick up on my own though. Sometimes the training classes are out of town and for several days. I once went to a Gang Awareness Symposium at Bass Lake. We waterskied after class. Lots of fun with two bars and a bunch of cops.

Jbb
11-03-2004, 02:45 PM
I dont do anything.....Therefore...no training required.... :p

Her454
11-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Soooooooooooo how many of you have to take them on your OWN time? This is an email my sister forwarded me today....... ??
Great Idea... I will take you up on that. Can I trade tomorrow as a 2 for 1? The saturday I'm taking the test and the saturday I had class???? If not no big deal, I have vacation time.
Thanks,
XXXXXX
Claims Representative
Unfortunately not. Your taking these classes to further your career and they are considered continuing education to normally be done on your own time. GB is already paying for the classes.
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Workers Compensation Supervisor
XXXXXXXXXXX
11/03/2004 02:49 PM
To XXXXXXXXX
cc
Subject Re: Please take the whole day tomorrow.Link

clownpuncher
11-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Lots of fun with two bars and a bunch of cops.
Hmmm - Bars and cops. Been there a time or two. Always fun :D

MsDrmr
11-03-2004, 02:48 PM
I didn't even get a 5min training when I started my job, much less training at any other time. I figured out how to do my job and use the computer system with help from my co-workers/friends

switchin'addiction
11-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Unless she loves the company/pay/etc.....I'd tell them to "kiss my ass, see ya later"! That attitutude she is getting sucks.

Desert Rat
11-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Have to go to all the recerts for the technical crap ALL the time!

Havasu_Dreamin
11-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Company mandated training on my own time? PHUCK THAT! We're supposed to ahve 40 hours fo training per year but I rarely get it.

BarryMac
11-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Couple of weeks a year, out of town away from the family, it's like a mini learning vacation...

Her454
11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
I've been here almost 13 years so I really dont remember life before here but this just does NOT sound right. I told her thats crap to have to use her Saturday for class and not get compensated with wages or at least COMP TIME. :confused:
Company mandated training on my own time? PHUCK THAT! We're supposed to ahve 40 hours fo training per year but I rarely get it.
THATS THE KEY RIGHT THERE. Is it company mandated or not? She hasnt responded to me but I would assume that it would be.

switchin'addiction
11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Exactly, it should be on company time.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-03-2004, 02:59 PM
I've been here almost 13 years so I really dont remember life before here but this just does NOT sound right. I told her thats crap to have to use her Saturday for class and not get compensated with wages or at least COMP TIME. :confused:
THATS THE KEY RIGHT THERE. Is it company mandated or not? She hasnt responded to me but I would assume that it would be.
Is she hourly or salaried? I will specualte that if she is hourly they HAVE to pay her for it. Also, if she alerady has her 40 hours in for the week, it's OT. This is assuming she is in CA.

Her454
11-03-2004, 03:01 PM
She is salary but that should not make a difference. Salary is based on XX amount of hours per week, per month. All extra should STILL be compensated. AND she works her as* off, lots of overtime etc for this place.
And yes, Good ol California. :hammerhea

clownpuncher
11-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Soooooooooooo how many of you have to take them on your OWN time?
I guess I should clarify. All required classes are on-duty or I get O/T to attened off-duty. However, I don't get paid O/t for all my education/training. If I choose to take a class that's not required ie: college classes for a degree, resume builders etc then I have to take them on my own. Find my own coverage and pay all expenses. I do get educational reimbursement for classes though so it's still not a bad deal.

Mrs. Restless22
11-03-2004, 03:13 PM
I also work for a large insurance company, and am required to take 50 hours of "continuing education" every 2 years. I have to schedule them, pay for them, and take them on my own time. But Im reimbursed for the charges, and my own time is whenever since I work my own hours, but its still a pain in the ass!
Especially when your 2 year mark is coming up...and you realize you still need 30 hours or your fired :hammerhea

Jbb
11-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Your fired...get out!....lol... :hammerhea

Havasu_Dreamin
11-03-2004, 03:17 PM
She is salary but that should not make a difference. Salary is based on XX amount of hours per week, per month.
Ok, more to the point, is she exempt or non-exempt? Exempt menaing she is exempt from the OT laws and protections under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Guess that degree in HR is worth something afterall! Thanks Mom and Dad! :cool:

Her454
11-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Ok, more to the point, is she exempt or non-exempt? Exempt menaing she is exempt from the OT laws and protections under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLAS). Guess that degree in HR is worth something afterall! Thanks Mom and Dad! :cool:
Not sure, I'll have to ask her. She takes so much crap and doesnt want to rock the boat, and I say the hell with it. I'd get her on here with my employer if they weren't shipping me to Singapore tomorrow. :squiggle:

HOOTER SLED-
11-03-2004, 03:20 PM
I guess I should clarify. All required classes are on-duty or I get O/T to attened off-duty. However, I don't get paid O/t for all my education/training. If I choose to take a class that's not required ie: college classes for a degree, resume builders etc then I have to take them on my own. Find my own coverage and pay all expenses. I do get educational reimbursement for classes though so it's still not a bad deal.
Did you have alot of certs before you got on the dept? Man I sure as hell spent alot of $$$ and time on that shit gambling on a job I never got. :mad: :mad: Whatever, life experience I guess.

JustMVG
11-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I think most companies will train you if it specific to that company, but most want you get the training, or certs or whatever they need on your time, thinking why should we pay for your education then you leave us for some better job, too bad that they think like that, they lose alot of good folks with that kind of thinkin'.
MVG

topless
11-03-2004, 03:25 PM
My traing consists of posting as much as I can between phone calls. :rollside:

Mrs. Restless22
11-03-2004, 03:25 PM
What insurance company is she a claims rep for??

Havasu_Dreamin
11-03-2004, 03:32 PM
If she is non-exempt, I gotta believe that she has to be compensated for her time spent in training. Especially if it is company mandated.
And, WTF is this about Singapore!?!?!?!?! SA's aren't supposed to go to where the programming done, we just tell them how to code it! :rollside:

Her454
11-03-2004, 03:39 PM
What insurance company is she a claims rep for??
I'd rather not say (She'd kill me) but she does medical/workers comp claims.
And, WTF is this about Singapore!?!?!?!?! SA's aren't supposed to go to where the programming done, we just tell them how to code it! :rollside:
Im going for the scenery and the food. :hammerhea

clownpuncher
11-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Did you have alot of certs before you got on the dept? Man I sure as hell spent alot of $$$ and time on that shit gambling on a job I never got. :mad: :mad: Whatever, life experience I guess.
Getting hired onto a fire dept is always difficult. Lots of competition. When I started, over 20 years ago, I was way ahead of the game by having only 2 certs. One was a FF1 cert I got through the Santa Ana College Fire Academy (one of the more desirable academys at the time) and the other was EMT 1A. Back then, if you had these 2 things, you were gold to FD's all around So Cal. I got hired with the 1st FD I applied at. Got real lucky too. Over 700 applicants for one opening.
Today, my educational resume wouldn't compete with the new guys' coming on. I sit on oral boards as a proctor and am just in awe of some of the education these 20 something kids have. All FD and BA/Masters related too.
The young kids make me feel like a high school drop-out, but, I 'll kick their rookie asses on any fire :D

HOOTER SLED-
11-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Getting hired onto a fire dept is always difficult. Lots of competition. When I started, over 20 years ago, I was way ahead of the game by having only 2 certs. One was a FF1 cert I got through the Santa Ana College Fire Academy (one of the more desirable academys at the time) and the other was EMT 1A. Back then, if you had these 2 things, you were gold to FD's all around So Cal. I got hired with the 1st FD I applied at. Got real lucky too. Over 700 applicants for one opening.
Today, my educational resume wouldn't compete with the new guys' coming on. I sit on oral boards as a proctor and am just in awe of some of the education these 20 something kids have. All FD and BA/Masters related too.
The young kids make me feel like a high school drop-out, but, I 'll kick their rookie asses on any fire :D
:D :D :D
You ain't lyin about competition. I stopped testing about 4-5 years ago. Totally different ball game nowadays. I got on several "A" lists. Had a bunch of orals etc... At the time I had an academy under my belt. My A.S. Degree in Fire Science. EMT cert of course. And some where in the area of 10 - 12 State Fire Marshal certs. Volunteered with Torrance FD for little bit. Almost got hired by L.A. City, but that's a story in itself. I was 28 when I stopped testing. I just had to get some other type of career thing going for my family. I find alot of the younger guys are really lucky cause they live at home and don't have to worry about these things. Getting a job with the FD is more like winning the Lotto nowadays. :D Oh well, I try to chalk it up as a life experience. Shit happens for a reason I guess. It just sucks when you're confident that you can do a hell of a job at something, and you never get the opportunity to prove that. It's even more frustrating when you hear the stories of newbies quitting in the academy or while on probation because they "thought it wasn't for them". :mad: They just emptied a vacancy that someone like me could have filled. Whatever, sorry to rant. :D Congrats on having one of the best jobs in the world.
HOOTER ---> still has a large hose diameter though SLED- :D