PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please...

BarryMac
11-03-2004, 08:29 PM
I am considering selling my 2500HD with the 8.1L motor and Allison Tranny, it is more truck then I need to tow my 21'er, I need the crew cab for sure so I feel that my options with a big enough backseat are the Chevy Avalanche or the Ford Supercrew, I want 4WD and the largest V8 available, I really don't want new because I don't want to eat the residual, what are your opinions? I've never been a Ford guy but may consider it if I can find the right one...
Thanks, gjb

OutCole'd
11-03-2004, 08:41 PM
I had a 03 Chevy with the 6.0 and loved it. Towed my 22.4 Cole great.

BADBLOWN572
11-03-2004, 11:33 PM
I had an 02 GMC and got rid of it to get the new Ford Supercrew. Never was a Ford guy until I drove my buddy's for a week. After that I was sold. Personally I think that the Ford is much more comfortable and I like the interior layout 10x better than the GMC/Chevy. Both are good trucks, but it comes down to personal preference.

DryHeatOnly
11-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Have you considered a Ford Crewcab Shortbed? The crewcab gives you a lot more rear legroom especially in the center seat. I have 3 kids so it was definitely one of the things I considered.

plaster dave
11-03-2004, 11:42 PM
My buddie just bought a 04 chevy crew cab short bed 2 wheel drive, with the 5.3 "I think" the small v8 it tows his 21 cole just as good as my duramax pulls my 26 howard.

Essex502
11-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Just a bit of advice....don't be too quick to get rid of the truck - "that you don't need that much size" - as you might just get the itch like we all do for a larger boat. Then you may regret the loss of the larger truck. Think it through carefully. I have a 1/2 ton truck now and wish I'd have bought the 3/4 ton right at the start instead of the 1/2 ton. The current truck tows the 21' just fine but the new 28' that's coming down the road is too much for it. Now I've gotta' change trucks.

BarryMac
11-04-2004, 06:47 AM
Just a bit of advice....don't be too quick to get rid of the truck - "that you don't need that much size" - as you might just get the itch like we all do for a larger boat. Then you may regret the loss of the larger truck. Think it through carefully. I have a 1/2 ton truck now and wish I'd have bought the 3/4 ton right at the start instead of the 1/2 ton. The current truck tows the 21' just fine but the new 28' that's coming down the road is too much for it. Now I've gotta' change trucks.
Thanks, that's great point that I never really thought about, I will certainly keep it in mind...

Mandelon
11-04-2004, 06:47 AM
I don't think his wife will let him have a bigger boat... :mix:
MMD has an Avalanche and loves it. I have been offroading with one, and except for the girly steps on the side it did great. Not the prettiest IMO, but certainly capable. If I were you I'd keep the truck you have. Its a winner.

BarryMac
11-04-2004, 06:51 AM
I don't think his wife will let him have a bigger boat... :mix:
MMD has an Avalanche and loves it. I have been offroading with one, and except for the girly steps on the side it did great. Not the prettiest IMO, but certainly capable. If I were you I'd keep the truck you have. Its a winner.
You know that is why I come on here, it is like a big support group, Mandelons right, he knows my wife and he knows that she probably wont let me go bigger... :eek: :hammerhea :eek:

Essex502
11-04-2004, 06:53 AM
You know that is why I come on here, it is like a big support group, Mandelons right, he knows my wife and he knows that she probably wont let me go bigger... :eek: :hammerhea :eek:
Oh...just take her to Havasu on busy weekends and come back from the Sandbar in that 21'er in the afternoon....after all that bouncing and jarring she'll be ripe for a switch to a larger craft! :D

Desert Rat
11-04-2004, 06:55 AM
And you can NEVER have to much power!

nodigg
11-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Gotta put in a plug for the Avalanche. I traded from a Tahoe (2WD) with a 5.7 to the Avalance (2wd) with the 5.3 and it has more torque and tows my 24' FastCat a little quicker than the Tahoe did. The mileage is not as good because the Tahoe was lowered and lighter but the ride is WAY better in the Avalanche than in ANY 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. Guess it imay be the new torsion bar rear suspension? Anyway, I am looking to buy a 3/4 ton soon,(bigger boat) but will HATE gving up the ride quality of the Avalance. Who needs to do all that bouncing around everyday? Have to sacrafice for the boating I guess. I want to know when one of the builders will step up and do air bag rear suspension like the big rigs? Then we could get the ride AND the heavy duty suspension when we need it.

Powerquestboy
11-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Always better to have too much truck than not enough, I would consider keeping your current truck. I've liked having a truck thats too big and doesnt have to work as hard to tow. They usually get better gas milage if your not at 4 thousand RPM's all the time.
A friend just bought a new from F-150 FX4 package and hates it because it wont tow his 27 foot ultra, it gets worse gas milage than his old all wheel drive denali that had a bigger engine. After 4000 miles and a few tows to Havasu they had to put a new rear end in it, new clutch plates and update the transmission software. He wishes he had kept the denali or bought a duramax. Research the ford because I think it has the worst gas milage of all the trucks in its class.