PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio 1000/1 sub amp question

Force This
04-15-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm running a JL Audio 1000/1 amp to 2 kicker L7 subs and after an hour or so of hard playing, I will get a clip in the bass or the bass will shut off briefly, and when this happens, the low V light on the amp flashes. I have four interstates marine batteries and the perko switch is in the all position when this happens. After it shuts off briefly, the system will work flawlessly for a while and maybe do it again later. Any thoughts on this problem that I'm experiencing. Thank you in advance

phebus
04-15-2006, 10:42 AM
How, and how often are you charging your batteries? The boat alternator won't be able to recharge the four batteries with the draw down from the stereo, so you must recharge with a charger nightly.

Force This
04-15-2006, 10:49 AM
I re-charge all the batteries with a die hard battery charger every night after getting off the lake. Usually charge at 20 to 60 amp rate.

phebus
04-15-2006, 10:58 AM
They could be getting hot, and clipping. Do you have any fans blowing on them? Also, what gauge wire do you have for power and ground?

Force This
04-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Amps stay very, very cool. Power wire is "o" gauge to Stinger distribution fuse block, 100 amp fuse as per JL audio and 4 gauge out of fuse block to amp at a short distance. Same on the ground side, I can pretty much play the stereo all day fairly hard, just after a while it will clip or the bass will be interrupted briefly and then will work fine for a while. Everytime this happens though, the lox v light will flash on the sub amp only. Almost like a loss of battery power for a brief few seconds. Thank you for the help.

Mr. Naudio
04-15-2006, 01:36 PM
4 interstates will no way keep up with a jl 1000/1 for any length of time because of unregulated power supply if you turn it up it will suck those dry fast.
JL Audio tested that amp with a optima blue top at high volume killed it in 15 mins.

Kim Hanson
04-15-2006, 01:53 PM
I had this happen to me with my Bronco just sitting playing around with the sound system and yes it was cause it was drawing so much out of the battery, it would cut out. Once I started the truck it worked great.........( . )( . ).......I think you need a better charging system or more batterys like those golfcart ones.. :cool:

Outnumbered
04-16-2006, 08:20 PM
JL slash series amps shut down when voltage drops below 10V even for a moment. When it starts to cut out, put a test meter on the bank of batts to check the voltage at the batts and then also check it at the dist block up near the amps to be sure its close to the same. You may be loosing voltage in a bad connection or you are just loosing voltage in the batts.

Force This
04-17-2006, 08:45 AM
I would hate to go buy four new batteries and have the same problem, I have considered four stinger batteries. I will re-check all the connections and test at the batteries and at the dist / fuse block also.
Thanx

Outnumbered
04-17-2006, 09:19 AM
I would hate to go buy four new batteries and have the same problem, I have considered four stinger batteries. I will re-check all the connections and test at the batteries and at the dist / fuse block also.
Thanx
I've never needed one but a capacitor may help you out. Ask one of these stereo gurus on here who know a little more about this stuff. It may hold the voltage up long enough to carry you through the voltage drops.

Force This
04-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Thats what I was thinking, but from what I have read on the borads, noone is a real big fan of capacitors in boats.

BoatFloating
04-17-2006, 08:19 PM
4 interstates will no way keep up with a jl 1000/1 for any length of time because of unregulated power supply if you turn it up it will suck those dry fast.
JL Audio tested that amp with a optima blue top at high volume killed it in 15 mins.
Just another reason for the Genny setup.....

Phat Matt
04-17-2006, 09:41 PM
I killed four Odyssey 1700s in three hours. :D
I have had one 2150 running since October. Just add gas. :D

BoatFloating
04-18-2006, 07:14 AM
I have had one 2150 running since October. Just add gas. :D
Touche!!!!!!

Force This
04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Can anyone here rec. a shop that will install the generator set up complete for me and possibly what I may expect to pay for it. Thanx for the help

BoatFloating
04-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Can anyone here rec. a shop that will install the generator set up complete for me and possibly what I may expect to pay for it. Thanx for the help
It's so easy dude why pay for it. Really simple but if you want someone to do it I have a stereo guy in Corona that does mobile installs.

Force This
04-18-2006, 11:24 AM
What will I need? I can do the install, I installed the system in the boat right now, I just need a little direction is all

BoatFloating
04-18-2006, 11:43 AM
What will I need? I can do the install, I installed the system in the boat right now, I just need a little direction is all
If you installed stereo in boat then this is a piece of cake. You'll need an APS75 a Honda Genny 2000 and battery cable and isolater so APS doesn't feed back into your Alt. You can search the post in hear to find the APS 75 and Genny and good prices. I sell the APS75 but there is another company that sells for below my cost. Good luck and if you have more questions let me know.

Force This
04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Thank you very much, I'll start looking into the generator set up, one question, do you run the generator while playing the stereo, and if so, is it noisey? Thanks again

Jesster
04-18-2006, 11:57 AM
I believe the APS 75 is the IOTA DLS 75 with filters added to remove the noise that would be produced by the genny. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong :rollside:

WET HULL
04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes only when I am playing the stereo. Standing next to my generator with the music off I can barely hear it. Its is out of control how great this thing really is.

BoatFloating
04-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Thank you very much, I'll start looking into the generator set up, one question, do you run the generator while playing the stereo, and if so, is it noisey? Thanks again
Quick answer Yes and No!

Outnumbered
04-20-2006, 10:46 PM
What about the CO from the genny?

Jordy
04-20-2006, 11:36 PM
I had the same problem with my system that is relatively tame, just a pair of ARC amps, some Focal plates and a W7 fed off 3 blue top Optimas. Got rid of those and went with a pair of 6V Trojans. Haven't looked back. The Optimas would start going south after 3-4 hours. The 6V's are good for about a day and a half, like 10 hours without a charger. Just something to consider if you can be on a battery charger on a regular basis and don't want to deal with an external generator. ;)

BoatFloating
04-21-2006, 11:07 AM
What about the CO from the genny?
Don't suck on the exhaust...... Or vent out the side thru a bilge dump fitting...

rvrhlic
04-21-2006, 11:20 AM
So question, I have an oddessey 2150 with a battery tender. Can i just get the Honda and plug the battery tender right into it? Is that going to cause a problem?
thanks

BoatFloating
04-21-2006, 11:23 AM
So question, I have an oddessey 2150 with a battery tender. Can i just get the Honda and plug the battery tender right into it? Is that going to cause a problem?
thanks
It won't cause a problem but a tender doesn't put out enough amps charging to really do anything?