PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarders and skiers......

Mandelon
11-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Mammoth Mountain Snow Report
What a treat it is to wake to blue skies, calm winds and six inches of fresh powder. The "weather
disturbance" that started yesterday afternoon turned into a "weather blessing" for skiers and
riders at Mammoth! It's time to shred it up on the slopes of Mammoth Mountain!
Forecasters are predicting snow for the next few days - check out the web cams at
MammothMountain.com so you can see it for yourself!
I get a daily update from them.
Lets plan a trip!!!!! :D

bordsmnj
11-04-2004, 03:17 PM
pick a date.

AvengerBabe
11-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Leaving after work 11/11.... I can't wait!!!! :p

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Should we wait for a big storm or be planned in advance?

Boozer
11-05-2004, 09:24 AM
I say we wait for a big storm and then head up. I wasnt able to get my gear while I was in Denver but I'm having it all shipped out to me today. As soon as it gets here I'm going to start shredding it up somewhere.
I'm planning a Tahoe trip for late January. Haven't been to Tahoe but I'd love to go so I'm going to make it happen this year.

ROZ
11-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Drove through those parts this last weekend.... Wait for more snow....

Up 4 River
11-05-2004, 02:50 PM
I say plan in advance. I would look into going of people were going up there. Haven't been there in a couple years.

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Mammoth is great but Tahoe has a lot of choices. We stayed in Truckee and went to a different resort every day...

Boozer
11-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Mammoth is great but Tahoe has a lot of choices. We stayed in Truckee and went to a different resort every day...
That's our plan of action. One of my good friends has a bother that lives in Tahoe so we're going to stay with him for a few days and hit Heavenly and Sugar Bowl.

BarryMac
11-06-2004, 06:54 PM
That's our plan of action. One of my good friends has a bother that lives in Tahoe so we're going to stay with him for a few days and hit Heavenly and Sugar Bowl.
Gotta hit Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley, too of the better resorts up there, Alpine Meadows does not get as crowded as all of the others, kinda like a locals resort, my personal favorite...

Mandelon
11-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Those were two of the ones we visited. Very cool. Was it Squaw that had the swimming pool and the big gondola?

XtrmWakeborder
11-06-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm goin to mammoth for a couple trips in january during winter break..first time snowboarding and i can't wait!

SandbarScot
11-07-2004, 06:24 AM
For those in the SD / OC / or 951 area, "Snow Jam" is this weekend. It starts Thursday Nov 11 at 4 pm.
Its a huge show with awesome deals on snowboard / ski / equip / clothing.
They have it once a year at Del Mar Fairground.

Mandelon
11-07-2004, 06:45 AM
I'm goin to mammoth for a couple trips in january during winter break..first time snowboarding and i can't wait!
First time? Take a pillow and jam it in your pants. The first couple of days are rough. You will fall a lot. Once you get the hang of it, then no problem. The flats are the worst, medium slopes are better.
Keep the knees bent, be aggressive and cut the edges hard, it will give you more control.

BarryMac
11-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Those were two of the ones we visited. Very cool. Was it Squaw that had the swimming pool and the big gondola?
Yeap, that's the one, they had if my memory serves me the 1964 Winter Olympics at Squaw, I wasn't alive yet so I don't remember the exact year. :skull: ..

XtrmWakeborder
11-08-2004, 08:10 PM
First time? Take a pillow and jam it in your pants. The first couple of days are rough. You will fall a lot. Once you get the hang of it, then no problem. The flats are the worst, medium slopes are better.
Keep the knees bent, be aggressive and cut the edges hard, it will give you more control.
I'm hoping my wakeboarding skills will come into play, but i'm told its way different. I expect to fall alot, but oh well i need something to do during the winter

Boozer
11-08-2004, 11:37 PM
I'm hoping my wakeboarding skills will come into play, but i'm told its way different. I expect to fall alot, but oh well i need something to do during the winter
Plan for a half day. Don't overdo yourself.
My first time riding I rode a full day and then went night riding as well. Started at 7am called it a night at 7:30pm. Half way through the day I was feeling like superman. My calves no longer ached and had actually become numb so I kept on riding. About 6pm I started to fatigues. I took some NASTY NASTY falls as a result. Hit my head on the iced over slopes a few to many times and said enough was enough and called it a day. Got back to the car and blew chunks. I suspect I had a concussion but don't know for sure.
I was stuck in bed the next day. The second day I could hobble. The 3rd I was fully mobile but still in a lot of pain. My body ached in places I didn't know were possible to ache and continues to ache for about a week. 2 weeks after, I was ready to go again. So ready that I went and bought all the gear I needed, it's been an addiction since.
My first day out taught me 2 very important lessons. Don't over do yourself and ALWAYS wear a helmet no matter how UNcool they look.
Make sure to give yourself some recovery time after your first day. You WILL need it. If you're not riding in powder you can also expect to have a black and blue butt after your first couple of days out. It might also be a good idea to consider taking a lesson or two. I never did and wished I had.

XtrmWakeborder
11-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Plan for a half day. Don't overdo yourself.
My first time riding I rode a full day and then went night riding as well. Started at 7am called it a night at 7:30pm. Half way through the day I was feeling like superman. My calves no longer ached and had actually become numb so I kept on riding. About 6pm I started to fatigues. I took some NASTY NASTY falls as a result. Hit my head on the iced over slopes a few to many times and said enough was enough and called it a day. Got back to the car and blew chunks. I suspect I had a concussion but don't know for sure.
I was stuck in bed the next day. The second day I could hobble. The 3rd I was fully mobile but still in a lot of pain. My body ached in places I didn't know were possible to ache and continues to ache for about a week. 2 weeks after, I was ready to go again. So ready that I went and bought all the gear I needed, it's been an addiction since.
My first day out taught me 2 very important lessons. Don't over do yourself and ALWAYS wear a helmet no matter how UNcool they look.
Make sure to give yourself some recovery time after your first day. You WILL need it. If you're not riding in powder you can also expect to have a black and blue butt after your first couple of days out. It might also be a good idea to consider taking a lesson or two. I never did and wished I had.
Sounds like good advice, i'll be up in mammoth a few days for the trip so i'll do half day sessions. I want to go there because of the powder, mtn. high and bear seem to be really thin and i dont want to be hitting ice everytime i fall. How much are the lessons?

h2-go
11-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Hey!! Thanks for the help on sig. pic's. If you have a pair of bike short's you can fit under your pant's (the ones they use for spin classes) they may help keep the back from turning black. When you fall on a board you can hit pretty hard so put a teather on your classes. Have fun-----Thank's Once more.

AvengerBabe
11-09-2004, 06:16 PM
I never took lessons... I went to Aspen with an ex-boyfriend of mine at the time. I had to learn in about two hours because he was a jerk and was getting antsy and big on the "Sink or Swim" mentality. Trust me, if you keep at it, you will learn quickly. All it takes is one time to be able to feel your toe and heel edges and you will think to yourself, "damn, why didn't I try that earlier!" Anyway, i would recommend not trying to learn on a green-- it is not steep enough and will make it harder for you. Try a blue run. Your butt will be black and blue and you will be sore the next day, but once you learn, you'll be hooked!! It's the only thing that keeps me sane when I can't be at the river!