PDA

View Full Version : BoatCop is in....

Mandelon
11-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Powerboat Magazine! He has a write up on p 74 and a pic on p 75.
They say he has the 6th toughest job in the marine industry....
Alan, do ya think its true? :D

RiverDave
11-04-2004, 02:39 PM
What's the 1st?
RD

GlastronGuy
11-04-2004, 02:40 PM
What's the 1st?
RD
Driving a V drive in .25" or better chop

Mandelon
11-04-2004, 03:00 PM
In order the so called "Toughest Jobs in the Marine Industry" are:
1. Fiberglass Grinder (in a protective suit, all day)
2. Test Driver (running WOT all day, in lots of weather)
3. Furnace Operator (Turning molten metal into props)
4. Propeller Tuner (Holding a sharp prop against a grinder all day)
5. Poker Run Organizer (Dealing with ahole boat owners and lots
annoying details all day)
6. Water Cop (Dealing with ahole boat owners all day)
7. Fire Fighter (Responding to accident calls and pulling dead people out
of the water)
:rolleyes:

HCS
11-04-2004, 03:02 PM
I have to disagree with that list. :rolleyes:

Mandelon
11-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Name some then, Mr Lives on the Delta..... :)
Deep sea diver
lobster/crab fisherman
doctor on the love boat...?

Boatcop
11-04-2004, 03:46 PM
After spending a few years in Alaska waters inspecting crab and fishing boats, I'd have to say that what those guys do is the toughest job in the Marine Industry.
Especially the crabbers. They get paid an exorbitant amount of money to go out there for weeks at a time in the most godforsaken and dangerous conditions imaginable.
Double that, and it still wouldn't be enough to make me do it.

BajaMike
11-04-2004, 04:30 PM
After spending a few years in Alaska waters inspecting crab and fishing boats, I'd have to say that what those guys do is the toughest job in the Marine Industry.
Especially the crabbers. They get paid an exorbitant amount of money to go out there for weeks at a time in the most godforsaken and dangerous conditions imaginable.
Double that, and it still wouldn't be enough to make me do it.
I'd have to agree with Alan about the crabbers....I've heard it is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. If you get hooked to the crab cages as they are laying them down, they can't come back for your body for a few days (when they pick the crab cages back up).
:jawdrop:

JustMVG
11-04-2004, 04:33 PM
I would have thought selling Tridents would be a tough job :eek:
J/K MVG

HCS
11-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Name some then, Mr Lives on the Delta..... :)
Deep sea diver
lobster/crab fisherman
doctor on the love boat...?
Ok. One. The divers that weld on ships under water. Of course it looks like
their talking about recreational boating.
Here up north the water police have the most laid back job I've ever seen.
I want to be one. Boatcop Where do I get the training? ;)
There are some exceptions. But In the most part when I see a river cop he's
anchored kicking back and doing nothing. That's how it is up here.

Boatcop
11-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Ok. One. The divers that weld on ships under water. Of course it looks like
their talking about recreational boating.
Here up north the water police have the most laid back job I've ever seen.
I want to be one. Boatcop Where do I get the training? ;)
There are some exceptions. But In the most part when I see a river cop he's
anchored kicking back and doing nothing. That's how it is up here.
Well. You could be like me and spend 13 years Active Duty Coast Guard, and then go into Civilian LE.
Some County Sheriff's in California take on seasonal "helpers" for summer Boating Patrol. Not a bad summer gig, if you can get it. I know that San Bernardino SO does it. Pay isn't bad either. At least not by AZ standards. They make around 18-20 bucks an hour, (more than my Deputies make) just to go boating. Their not real "cops", as they just help operate the boat, and assist in boardings, but many of them go on and become certified Police Officers.
Not many Departments have full time Marine Patrol. And most of those duties are done by Fish and Game types across the country. We're the exception. We're the only Agency in the State with a full time 24/7/365 Boating Division. All the others have regular (but Boating trained) Patrol Officers with Boating as a collateral duty. My guys do boating with regular patrol work as the collateral duty.
I've got an old friend up there in No Cal (Yolo County) who retired from the Coast Guard as a Master Chief Boatswain Mate. He's one of those patrol types who does boats as a sideline.

HCS
11-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Well. You could be like me and spend 13 years Active Duty Coast Guard, and then go into Civilian LE.
Some County Sheriff's in California take on seasonal "helpers" for summer Boating Patrol. Not a bad summer gig, if you can get it. I know that San Bernardino SO does it. Pay isn't bad either. At least not by AZ standards. They make around 18-20 bucks an hour, (more than my Deputies make) just to go boating. Their not real "cops", as they just help operate the boat, and assist in boardings, but many of them go on and become certified Police Officers.
Not many Departments have full time Marine Patrol. And most of those duties are done by Fish and Game types across the country. We're the exception. We're the only Agency in the State with a full time 24/7/365 Boating Division. All the others have regular (but Boating trained) Patrol Officers with Boating as a collateral duty. My guys do boating with regular patrol work as the collateral duty.
I've got an old friend up there in No Cal (Yolo County) who retired from the Coast Guard as a Master Chief Boatswain Mate. He's one of those patrol types who does boats as a sideline.
OK! I'm in..Yolo county is what I want. You need to come up here and retire.
Hook me up. I'll take the job.
It's a perfect job for me. I don't take no shit. You better be equipped!
I love the goodies they hand out to my little boy for wearing his life jacket.
It makes my day. :rollside:

DECKKAT
11-04-2004, 10:36 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1895135-3578_IMG-med.JPG

HCS
11-04-2004, 10:38 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1895135-3578_IMG-med.JPG
That's the shit right there.

BarryMac
11-05-2004, 06:29 AM
BoatCop, Do you offer ride alongs like the City and County Police agencies? I personally would love to ride with you for a day if it is possible???
Thanks,
gjb

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 09:11 AM
But Barry, they probably don't allow you to drink beer on board. :frown: :notam: :cool:

BarryMac
11-05-2004, 10:34 AM
But Barry, they probably don't allow you to drink beer on board. :frown: :notam: :cool:
then I'll get on your Lavey at the end of the day and have a few Tecate's with ya...

Boatcop
11-05-2004, 11:24 AM
BoatCop, Do you offer ride alongs like the City and County Police agencies? I personally would love to ride with you for a day if it is possible???
Thanks,
gjb
Unfortunately we can't do any ride-alongs right now. Our insurance carrier is in the process of drafting up new policies on the subject.
We are insured by an insurance pool that also covers several other Counties in AZ. There have been lawsuits over certain improprieties by Deputies (none from our County) done to female passengers. Most of them involved teenage Law Enforcement "Explorer" members, and other female ride-alongs.
Until those cases are resolved and a new policy put in place, we had to suspend our civilian ride-along program.

HCS
11-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Damn people are so freaking sue happy!