PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Inaccurate Gas Pumps....

RiverToysJas
11-04-2004, 06:24 PM
My Letter explains it all....
Attention:
County of Orange
Weights & Measures
1750 S. Douglas Rd.
Bldg. D
Anaheim, CA 92806-6031
Jason X XXXXXXX
XXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX Ave
Garden Grove, Ca 92845
Dear OCW&M,
I would like to make you aware of a situation that occurred yesterday at the following gas station.
Shell Gas Station
12571 Valley View
Garden Grove, Ca 92845
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004 I purchased 19.3 gallons of gas from the above-mentioned Shell Gas Station. The total tank capacity of my 2004 Honda Pilot, per the manual (confirmed using on-line sources) is 19.2 gallons. The tank was NOT on empty when I stopped for gas. The needle was reading just under 1/8 of tank, and the low fuel light had just come on 1/2mile before I stopped at the station.
My vehicle is a 2004 Honda Pilot with 2,420 total miles. Gas mileage on all but one fill-up has been documented. The lowest recorded was 17.7MPG, and the highest was 20.8MPG. Gas mileage for the tank in question was 14.3MPG. Honda, per the window sticker, rates the mileage at 17city, and 22hwy. The most fuel we’ve ever put into the vehicle is 17.115 gallons. In that case the fuel light had been on for over 20 miles.
On the morning in question I was pumping fuel from pump number 2. The pumping went fine and clicked off once around 16.1 gallons, which is about right. I then pulled handle to fuel slowly until it clicked off again, at which time I usually hang it up. It took over an additional 3 gallons before clicking off again. The pump MIGHT be accurate at a high level of flow, but in my opinion is not accurate at a low level of flow.
This morning I brought my receipt to the owner of the station, and explain the situation. He told me there is a problem with my fuel tank or the stated capacity is incorrect. He stated that your department checks the pumps for accuracy regularly. He went on to say that in 16 years in business, the pumps have never been wrong! He also didn't care what pump it was, and in my opinion was rather rude about it. In his opinion, this was clearly a problem with me, or the car. Though he may well have owned the station for 16 years, the pumps are fairly new, as this station used to be a Texaco.
Could someone please contact me to confirm this complaint has been read, and something is being done? I can be reached during the hours of 10am-6pm at 949-718-XXXX.
Thank you for taking the time to read my complaint.
Sincerely,
Jason X XXXXXXX
Thursday November 4th, 2004.
(X's added for posting purposes ;) )
I have also sent a copy that letter to the the Shell Customer Care dept.
I doubt anything will happen, but it sure pissed me off!!!
RTJas

Kachina26
11-04-2004, 06:36 PM
My Letter explains it all....
Attention:
County of Orange
Weights & Measures
1750 S. Douglas Rd.
Bldg. D
Anaheim, CA 92806-6031
Jason X XXXXXXX
XXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX Ave
Garden Grove, Ca 92845
Dear OCW&M,
I would like to make you aware of a situation that occurred yesterday at the following gas station.
Shell Gas Station
12571 Valley View
Garden Grove, Ca 92845
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004 I purchased 19.3 gallons of gas from the above-mentioned Shell Gas Station. The total tank capacity of my 2004 Honda Pilot, per the manual (confirmed using on-line sources) is 19.2 gallons. The tank was NOT on empty when I stopped for gas. The needle was reading just under 1/8 of tank, and the low fuel light had just come on 1/2mile before I stopped at the station.
My vehicle is a 2004 Honda Pilot with 2,420 total miles. Gas mileage on all but one fill-up has been documented. The lowest recorded was 17.7MPG, and the highest was 20.8MPG. Gas mileage for the tank in question was 14.3MPG. Honda, per the window sticker, rates the mileage at 17city, and 22hwy. The most fuel we’ve ever put into the vehicle is 17.115 gallons. In that case the fuel light had been on for over 20 miles.
On the morning in question I was pumping fuel from pump number 2. The pumping went fine and clicked off once around 16.1 gallons, which is about right. I then pulled handle to fuel slowly until it clicked off again, at which time I usually hang it up. It took over an additional 3 gallons before clicking off again. The pump MIGHT be accurate at a high level of flow, but in my opinion is not accurate at a low level of flow.
This morning I brought my receipt to the owner of the station, and explain the situation. He told me there is a problem with my fuel tank or the stated capacity is incorrect. He stated that your department checks the pumps for accuracy regularly. He went on to say that in 16 years in business, the pumps have never been wrong! He also didn't care what pump it was, and in my opinion was rather rude about it. In his opinion, this was clearly a problem with me, or the car. Though he may well have owned the station for 16 years, the pumps are fairly new, as this station used to be a Texaco.
Could someone please contact me to confirm this complaint has been read, and something is being done? I can be reached during the hours of 10am-6pm at 949-718-XXXX.
Thank you for taking the time to read my complaint.
Sincerely,
Jason X XXXXXXX
Thursday November 4th, 2004.
(X's added for posting purposes ;) )
I have also sent a copy that letter to the the Shell Customer Care dept.
I doubt anything will happen, but it sure pissed me off!!!
RTJas
Go back with your own acurate container i.e. 5 gallon gas can and check it. I can tell you that I am currently working with a 2005 GMC Denali that is having filling issues. Due to an onboard vapor recovery system (read smog crap). Worth 10 minutes of your time anyway. I've always wondered about these types of things :notam:

shockwavebd
11-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Damn jason thats where I get my diesel.............was there this morning ..will have to check this out .thanks for the heads up

Mrs.Racer277
11-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Go back with your own acurate container i.e. 5 gallon gas can and check it.
Make sure it is a metal gas can. Plastic cans are not accurate for measuring volume. i.e. they expand and contract regularly. (Mr. R277)

moneysucker
11-04-2004, 07:37 PM
These pumps are calibrated at full flow to dispense a minimum amount of fuel. This pump is obvoiusly out of calibration. I Build gaws stations and my fueling contractors have told me tha wayto get more for your money is to pump slowly. Since they are done for full flow, more will come out at a slower rate. He said that you can get an extra gallon to 1 1/2 but I will never try since I don't pay for the fuel and I don't have time for the experiment. When it comes to pumping race gas I will try that trick but for now, I get it in drums, hard to screw that up. Weights and measures is usually pretty good about those things. If you call the Mgr. of the station, especially if it is a corp store, they will have them recalibrated. Good that you caught it though.

Havasu Hangin'
11-04-2004, 07:39 PM
You have a Honda Pilot? :jawdrop:

coolchange
11-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Hit the gas docks a BV one time and took 20.5 gallons to fill up my 18 gallon boat. Went in and wanted a refund and they just laughed. While they were laughing I laughed too and said weights and measures will be here Monday.

XtrmWakeborder
11-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up man i'm down there every now and then and will try to avoid them.

Mrs.Racer277
11-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Hit the gas docks a BV one time and took 20.5 gallons to fill up my 18 gallon boat. Went in and wanted a refund and they just laughed. While they were laughing I laughed too and said weights and measures will be here Monday.
That does not surprise me to hear that story. :mad:

MudPumper
11-04-2004, 08:43 PM
When filling at a hight rate of flow, the fuel can foam causing the pump to shut off sooner because of the foamed fuel. Similar to pouring a soda or a beer into a glass. I've put up to 5 gallons into my diesel after the pump automatically shut off. Ever wonder why race cars have those giant sponge things in the fuel cells. So the fuel doesn't slosh around and foam up.
Just something to think about.;)

RiverToysJas
11-04-2004, 08:56 PM
You have a Honda Pilot? :jawdrop:
Um, It's my wifes...
http://op6c.com/jason/blingblingpilot.jpg
RTJas :D <--- Love's Photoshop!!! ;)

Havasu Hangin'
11-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Um, It's my wifes...
Riiiiiight... (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62463&page=2&pp=25) :notam:

Cas
11-04-2004, 09:07 PM
I got gas a couple of weeks ago when the prices went up. Apparently the person who set the prices on the pump I used was dyslexic, instead of it being $2.41, it was set at $2.14. Thought about writing a nice thank you letter but it slipped my mind until now.

JustMVG
11-04-2004, 10:01 PM
There was a scam going on a few years ago, alot of people just put in the nozzle and leave it to run, well after so many gallons the gallon meter sped up, so if you put in only 20 bucks you probably only got 12 to 15 gals.
Gas stations that did it made a ton of money.
Could the fact that there is methanol in the gas have anything to with the loss of gallons due to evap?

RiverToysJas
11-16-2004, 07:44 AM
Yesterday I got a call from a field agent with the Dept. of Agriculture. She got my complaint from W&M. She said she just anomously filled her caliberated tank at that station. She found there is a problem with the pump. She is calling W&M for a full audit on the station. :cool:
RTJas :D

MagicMtnDan
11-16-2004, 07:48 AM
Go back with your own acurate container i.e. 5 gallon gas can and check it. I can tell you that I am currently working with a 2005 GMC Denali that is having filling issues. Due to an onboard vapor recovery system (read smog crap). Worth 10 minutes of your time anyway. I've always wondered about these types of things :notam:
Take your truck in to the dealer for repairs. These trucks have known issues with the vapor recovery system and can be fixed under warranty. My Avalanche had the same problem and it was fixed after a visit (or two).

11-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Take your truck in to the dealer for repairs. These trucks have known issues with the vapor recovery system and can be fixed under warranty. My Avalanche had the same problem and it was fixed after a visit (or two).
He is the dealer.. :cool:

Kachina26
11-16-2004, 08:45 AM
I fixed it :D I am Mr. Goodwrench ;)

dicudmore
11-16-2004, 09:00 AM
I fixed it :D I am Mr. Goodwrench ;)
Me thinks you rank right up there with some of my guys here :cool:

It's Only Money
11-16-2004, 09:25 AM
This exact thing happened to me a few years ago at another gas station. I was driving a Pathfinder and the pump "claimed" I pumped 27 gallons into it. No way, Jose. This thievery, I think goes on all the time.

GBLASER
11-16-2004, 09:41 AM
I have an 02 sub,when the gauge got down to 1/4 tank or lower, I would fill it up and it never held more than 25 gallons. My wife and I commented a few times that it was always 25 gallons no matter if the low fuel light was on or not, always 25 gallons. It seems now that the prices are through the roof, 1/4 tank or lower, light comes on...... BINGO 28-30 gallons. WHAT THE F*** :2purples:

Kachina26
11-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Me thinks you rank right up there with some of my guys here :cool:
I hope that's a compliment :confused:

Squirtin Thunder
11-16-2004, 09:50 AM
I had a similar problem in Barstow at the ARCO. The most my truck will ever hold is 39.8 gals. and the pump said it took 62.63 gals. I imeadately complained and the attendant said did it take it I said not that much impossible. Well I choose not to pay and the cops showed up and I was forced to pay. So I sent a letter and ARCO gave me $150 in gas copons.
Sorry I made the story as short as I could.
Jim

dicudmore
11-16-2004, 10:11 AM
I hope that's a compliment :confused:
yes it was....some guys here I hold in very high regard. my techs at Hyundai might have been another story :rolleyes:

Huckleberry
11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Some news channel did an expose on this issue a few years back. They had stations of video flipping a swithc that changed the calibration of the pumps. When they showed up to test them, an employee would slip into the shop area and flip a switch. PRESTO! The pumps were dead accurate, when only ten minutes before they were way off. The inspectors then flipped the switch themselves and the pumps were all jacked up again. They said it is a fairly common practive among the less-than-scrupulous gas stations. If I remember right, over half of the stations they had caught doing this were Texaco stations.

Misogynist
11-16-2004, 11:40 AM
There was another expose' on the news a few years ago about inaccurate pumps. The thing was... the pumps weren't just inaccurate.. they were rigged to pump exactly 1 gallon at the "1 gallon" mark... after that... the speed of the fuel pump picked up and started saying it was pumping more than it really was. They found that they had been purposly rigged that way to defraud customers. But... If a person from W and M pulled in and bought just one gallon... it looked accurate. F---ing cheaters. :hammer2: