PDA

View Full Version : Sig on Rep points

voodoomedman
11-04-2004, 07:45 PM
It should show who leaves Rep points whether they want it to or not. There is too much sniping going on. People leaving negative rep points on all of somebody's threads that they can because they do not like them and not because of the validity of the post. They don't leave their name because they are chicken and don't want to get red squares either.

JetBoatRich
11-04-2004, 09:33 PM
The points are better than the stars used to be :hammerhea at least you can change your mind about people or make specific comments on what you liked or disliked on the same person :cool:
Problem is some people don't have "THICK SKIN" and can not ake the red squares and want to go off about it, you see it all the time on here. Imagine if there was a name on it. I am not saying it is right either way.

voodoomedman
11-04-2004, 09:54 PM
The points are better than the stars used to be :hammerhea at least you can change your mind about people or make specific comments on what you liked or disliked on the same person :cool:
Problem is some people don't have "THICK SKIN" and can not ake the red squares and want to go off about it, you see it all the time on here. Imagine if there was a name on it. I am not saying it is right either way.
I can take the red. I just think you should own up to it. I don't like being harassed. If I offended somebody or said something truly stupid then I deserve the red. But I'm not doing anything wrong. I just know that if it said who did it then they would think twice about harassing people or just putting red for no reason.
They also start crap between people because they sign others names. I already had fake ones from kilrtoy. I just got a couple from Tom Brown but I know it isn't him because with his post count and rep points he would have probably taken away everything I have and not just 3 points per red chicklet.

wsuwrhr
11-05-2004, 06:59 PM
I wonder if you would feel different if someone was giving you negative rep for no reason.
Brian

Rexone
11-05-2004, 07:16 PM
A copy of a post I made on another thread a week or so ago on this subject...
I agree with Trigger, turn the shit off, it's gay and just a source of contraversy. Same with the old star system.
But assuming that isn't going to happen...
If you turn the names on now after the fact on prior messages you'll have some very hard feelings created both ways (+ & -) which IMO isn't necessary or desireable. If you turn it on it should be going forward, not backward. Set the system to zero and start it over.
Kind of like an anynomous charity doner donating to a charity for years under the understanding of being anynomous and then the charity arbitrarily deciding to make all donors public. Not a good idea. I'm sure there are + comments made here under cover that members don't necessarily want made public since they were not made under those circumstances and would not have been left if they'd have known they'd become public. I know I personally have left some and received some (mostly postive in nature) that there is no way I would have left for public viewing. Just like private messaging.
It is not just the negatives that should be considered. To change midstream would be like making all PM's or emails public all of a sudden. Whatever messages are there were made under the pretense of privacy in the feedback area. If people wanted their comments public (+ or -) they would have simply posted them. Whenever you violate anyone's privacy expect problems. I know when mine is violated I get fairly intense about defending it as I will if any private comments I've made privately on this or any forum are made public. Since the system was set initially to have feedback private, people have a reasonable expectation that it would remain so.
My point is there is info & comments there that aren't necessarily negative that shouldn't be public.
Rex(notalwaysonthepopularsideofthefence)one

Kachina26
11-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Well said Rex. Cataloge or not, you're ok in my book :cool:

JetBoatRich
11-06-2004, 07:18 AM
I wonder if you would feel different if someone was giving you negative rep for no reason.
Brian
Brian, it happens :hammerhea what are you going to do :eek: I have received neg. on post and could not figure out why

***boat
11-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Well I for one give out random negative points. OK I don't but I have thought about it. If I ever did move to a system that showed the users names I would either
A. Give a couple of months notice that it was going to happen so that old reps would move out of the system.
-or-
B. And more likely edit the database so all rep's before the change over are set to a dummy account.
I still don't think I am going to do this, at least not for a while. I might turn them off though.

Mrs. Restless22
11-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Im going to vote to turn them off.
The green ones are fun, and its always fun to send the nice messages to your buddies just to drop a private "HI", but the red ones are annoying.
I personally dont like being attacked and not being able to talk about it. If Ive pissed someone off...fine, but you bet your ass Im going to want to talk to you about it and clear my name for something I feel Im innocent for. Its also just another thing that is turning this board away from the boating scene and topics.....
Just a thought.

voodoomedman
11-07-2004, 08:16 AM
The green ones are fun, and its always fun to send the nice messages to your buddies just to drop a private "HI", but the red ones are annoying.
I personally dont like being attacked and not being able to talk about it. If Ive pissed someone off...fine, but you bet your ass Im going to want to talk to you about it and clear my name for something I feel Im innocent for. Its also just another thing that is turning this board away from the boating scene and topics.....
Just a thought.
Good point. Everyone has a good point. I just don't like the harassment that the snipers are doing. The same guy has hit me like 6 times in a few weeks. Basically as soon as the system lets him then he gets me again. If it was actually for a good reason then fine but like Mrs. Restless said it takes away from the fun and the boating aspect.

wsuwrhr
11-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Just a thought.
Yes maam.
Brian

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-08-2004, 01:49 PM
I don't really like the fact that you could sign someone else's name. If it automatically showed the sender, "Tom Brown" would probably be sending out a lot less red chicklets from various IP addresses.