PDA

View Full Version : Who get regular doctor checkups?

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 09:45 AM
I just found out a friend just had triple bypass heart surgery. He had some chest pain, and finally went to the hospital. He is 46. Another friend had a stroke. She is 41.
I rarely go to the doctor and have never had a full physical. I think I am going to make the call and go see what is happening inside. :supp:
Do you get checkups regularly? :confused:

DryHeatOnly
11-05-2004, 09:49 AM
I haven't been but I think I need to start.
I just read today at work that they changed the company that manages our benefits. I have to get an Evidence of Insurability to get higher life insurance (the wife too).
I guess it's a good reason to go to the doc.
"Yessir doc...I'm gonna start on the Bowflex and cardio program today!! ;) :D "

DryHeatOnly
11-05-2004, 09:50 AM
...and sorry to hear about your friends too Mandy.

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Both of the friends will be OK, but I am gonna treat it like a wake up call. I just made an appointment for the 16th. Makes me wonder about those occasional chest pains.....
Is he gonna........probe me? :sqeyes:

TIMEBOMB
11-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Started regular check ups at 35 (baseline) Lots of head aches. Found I have elevated B.P. Dr. has that under control. Go every year now, dreading the 40 year one. Exit only if you know what I mean. :sqeyes: Gary

spectratoad
11-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Is he gonna........probe me? :sqeyes:
Well I am sure you can get anything for a price. :jawdrop:
I had one by the Army in May. WOW that was top to bottom, inside (literally, refer to the probing question) & out. I am healthy besides my medical stuff that the Army is retiring me for. It did give alot of good info though. I would recommend it every few years though.

H20 Toie
11-05-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm 45 and had my first physical and doc said that i'm going to live but did give me a bad time for not coming sooner.

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 09:59 AM
I am just gonna miss those Carnitas burritos.....and pie. I like pie.
Maybe he'll tell me I need less stress, and that I have to sell all my stuff and move to Parker for a quiet easy life.... :wink:

HCS
11-05-2004, 09:59 AM
My dad died at 42 years old from a heart problem. :eek:
So when I turned 40 I had them run me through the ringer. Now I have a clean bill of health. :coffeycup
Piece of mind.

DryHeatOnly
11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm 45 and had my first physical and doc said that i'm going to live but did give me a bad time for not coming sooner.
That's what I'm "looking forward to"...the lecture. Of course he probably has a good point. :rolleyes:

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
42......that is awfully young.
Mandy = 39 and 10/12ths :220v:

switchin'addiction
11-05-2004, 10:03 AM
As HCS stated, the peace of mind is worth so much. Be prepared the exit only rule will be brok :eek: en...

MsDrmr
11-05-2004, 10:04 AM
I go every year for a complete physical..but then again, there is so much wrong with me it's not even funny. Dr just really keeps a close eye on me.....I love my dr

HCS
That's what I'm "looking forward to"...the lecture. Of course he probably has a good point. :rolleyes:
The only thing I got lectured about was my drinking.
I could have not told them but I wanted to be straight forward. :idea:

Mrs CP 19
Get regular checkups!!! I always had low blood pressure. When I was 37, I went to the DR for the flu (never had regular check-ups) My blood pressure was 210/94!!! Under control now of course, but high BP is the silent killer. Went to my DR 5 times in the 1st 6 mos of this year for a cough that didn't go away. I was told it was a virus, blah, blah, blah. I KNEW something was really wrong, but didn't persue it hard enough. A simple blood test by another Dr landed me in the hospital, I mentioned the cough. Turns out I have lung cancer, it could have been diagnosed 6 mos before....So, not only get those check-ups..follow your instincts and do not let a DR brush you off!!!! Jill :)

superdave013
11-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Ah, guess it's something we have to do when getting older. I myself pretty much only see a doc to get big gashes stiched up. But my wife's got me all set up for all the exams. Yes, I did get a lady doctor and it did hurt a little until she gets past her wedding ring! lol
I wish my best friend would have. They found out he had cancer but it was way to late. The key is early detection so for everyone around you, GET CHECKED OUT!!
RIP bro:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48JerryMAC-med.jpg

ROZ
11-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Get regular checkups!!! I always had low blood pressure. When I was 37, I went to the DR for the flu (never had regular check-ups) My blood pressure was 210/94!!! Under control now of course, but high BP is the silent killer. Went to my DR 5 times in the 1st 6 mos of this year for a cough that didn't go away. I was told it was a virus, blah, blah, blah. I KNEW something was really wrong, but didn't persue it hard enough. A simple blood test by another Dr landed me in the hospital, I mentioned the cough. Turns out I have lung cancer, it could have been diagnosed 6 mos before....So, not only get those check-ups..follow your instincts and do not let a DR brush you off!!!! Jill :)
Did the first DR. do a chest xray?
I pray you have a full recovery.

ROZ
11-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Not about the prostate exam..... Maybe you can have the female DR have her female nurse blow you while she massages,err,,,inspects your prostate...
Might make it a little more acceptable :D
My wife is in healthcare, and I have recently agreed to start yearly exams this year, and full exams every 2 years... I'm 35...

Mrs CP 19
11-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks Roz, I am fighting this all the way...NO the 1st Dr. did Not do an x-ray, I Knew this was wrong, especially since I smoked for years. This Dr. was just lazy/incompetent, whatever. That's why I said to trust your instincts. My fault for not demanding an X-ray, more follow up!!! Jill

BarryMac
11-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Full Physical annually near my B-Day, only 37, the doctor warns me every year that when I'm 40 I get the prostate check, we always joke that he better not have two hands on my shoulders while the exam is going on, that's a joke, prostate cancer isn't, I urge every man on these boards to get yourself checked, it could save your life. My father was diagnosed two years ago, he caught it early and now has a clean bill of health, since he's had it his sons (3 boys) have nearly a 90% chance of getting it as well, be careful and please get check ups regularly...

OutCole'd
11-05-2004, 10:41 AM
When I go in for the check up, I shake the Dr. hand. If his hand is larger than mine, I'm outa there. :eek:

topless
11-05-2004, 10:57 AM
I go every year for a complete physical..but then again, there is so much wrong with me it's not even funny. Dr just really keeps a close eye on me.....I love my dr
Yea, ya wait till your almost hospitalized until you go in when your sick though. :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Topless, when you need your exam let me know...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/24mammogram.jpg

Danhercules
11-05-2004, 01:46 PM
My Father passed away 2 years ago very suddenly. I go once a year. I am 28. Ok so far.

Tom Brown
11-05-2004, 01:49 PM
...there is so much wrong with me it's not even funny.
... and yet, there is so much right with you. :cool:

SDLifesaver
11-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Rich, at 40 they reccommend a annual physical and protate exam. FUN, Not.

Waldo
11-05-2004, 02:01 PM
I started getting yearly physicals at age 29 (I'm now 33). My family has a history of heart issues (grandfathers died young of heart troubles...my dad is still alive). I decided that every year for my birthday I would go to the doctor for one. It's easy to remember.
This year, I ended up having to have an ultrasound on my liver....ironic huh! Everything turned out fine.
By the time I was 21, I had already experienced two rectal exams! Not very fun. Now, every year my doctor asks if I want a prostate exam (as they don't regularly do them until age 40) She's female and I still refuse!

HavasuHome
11-05-2004, 02:07 PM
I have had High Blood Pressure for years but it is under control. As far as the prostrate exam, I have it done twice a year. My doctor does a simple blood test, no going in the back door anymore. I lost my father to prostate cancer last year. He was 93 and the cancer was discovered when he was in his early 70's. The majority of you guys and gals are young. Think of your families and get a physical yearly. My wife died at 54 after 35 years of marriage. She had diabetes another "silent killer". As my son always says I did not think I would ever lose my mother before I was 30. Rememer take care of yourselves for yourself and your children.

Tremor Therapy
11-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Don't be all macho, and find out when it is too late! The females in my family live into their 90's, but the males have all died out by 77. Thank god we don't have any history of cancer in my family, but we do with high blood pressure, diabetes, coronary heart disease, and heart attacks. Two of my uncles had double bypass surgery!
I will be 42 real soon, and have gone for regular complete check ups every year since I was 35. When I was 40 they detected a potentially very serious kidney ailment in the early stages, treated it, and now I have a complete clean bill of health!
Don't screw around, are you really willing to deal with a potential serious health issue later because you are worried about the doctor checking out your interior plumbing for 30 seconds or so? As long as he doesn't have both hands on your shoulders you should be okay! :hammer2:

Mandelon
11-05-2004, 02:40 PM
I go Nov 16th. Hope I make it that long..... :frown:

RiverOtter
11-05-2004, 02:45 PM
I do. :cool:

HCS
11-05-2004, 02:55 PM
I go Nov 16th. Hope I make it that long..... :frown:
When that f-uckin doctor push on my prostate with his finger I could have kicked his ass. Hurt like hell.
He pushed until prostate fluid dripped onto a test strip. :umm: :umm: :umm:
Now ya feel better? :D