PDA

View Full Version : Computer Guru's (Question)

Restless22
11-05-2004, 04:09 PM
I really think I have a virus or a bug on my desktop.
One of the problems is that it locks up for a few seconds while im typing or just moving the mouse around! :lightsabe (very frustrating)
The second is my sum chance I was surfing a real estate site and this "home search" search engine keeps hijacking my home page. What the hell do I do?
I did download spybot, lavasoft 6, and some thread hijacker deal. but is still seems to stick here.
This "home search" is an installed program that will not remove when I try to "add/remove programs". It just pops up the uninstall web page for me to email them. Well I did, and of course, NO RESPONCE!
So all in all im ready to drag this piece of shit behind my truck for a few blocks!!!! :rollside: :devil: :mad:
If you guys have any input on how to fix this problem let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

HCS
11-05-2004, 04:13 PM
I really think I have a virus or a bug on my desktop.
One of the problems is that it locks up for a few seconds while im typing or just moving the mouse around! :lightsabe (very frustrating)
The second is my sum chance I was surfing a real estate site and this "home search" search engine keeps hijacking my home page. What the hell do I do?
I did download spybot, lavasoft 6, and some thread hijacker deal. but is still seems to stick here.
This "home search" is an installed program that will not remove when I try to "add/remove programs". It just pops up the uninstall web page for me to email them. Well I did, and of course, NO RESPONCE!
So all in all im ready to drag this piece of shit behind my truck for a few blocks!!!! :rollside: :devil: :mad:
If you guys have any input on how to fix this problem let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Sorry. I have a computer geek freind that cleans that shit out of mine.

GlastronGuy
11-05-2004, 04:13 PM
More details on the hijack page?
And try this:
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
Forgot about this one:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

Scream
11-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Spyware and malware, all your enemies. Worst case you'll need to purchase Norton Anitvirus Professional, that should kill it...maybe...
Did you update the spyware programs you have already to make sure you have the most up to date deffinitions, etc...
Scream

Restless22
11-05-2004, 04:47 PM
More details on the hijack page?
And try this:
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
Forgot about this one:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html
Thanks for the input. I did download it. And gave it a shot, It did detect the home search file but it did not delete it.
I am still stumped.
Thanks again

Restless22
11-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Spyware and malware, all your enemies. Worst case you'll need to purchase Norton Anitvirus Professional, that should kill it...maybe...
Did you update the spyware programs you have already to make sure you have the most up to date deffinitions, etc...
Scream
Scream, I do have the latest Norton. But it is still in my dam comp....
Ill try updating my other spyware and adware programs now.
Thanks
Ron

Scream
11-05-2004, 04:51 PM
No prob. by updating you'll have the latest information. It's best to update spyware and antivirus software everytime you use it since the harassment landscape changes on a minute by minute basis.
Good luck
Scream

Restless22
11-05-2004, 04:53 PM
This "home search" deal that pops up seems to be always my default browser. It is not letting my look at pics like on boattraderonline and so forth.
when I click on my internet browser the "about: blank" pops in the url. Do any of you reconize this annoying shit?

Dribble
11-05-2004, 04:57 PM
I went to Best Buy and bought Webroot Spyware sweeper, spam shredder and pop up washer. Took care of almost everything. Mine was a freakin mess.

Scream
11-05-2004, 04:57 PM
In Internet Explorer, along the top bar, click on tools, then Internet options. Change the url for your home page there and click apply. Then you hopefully won't go there again.
Sounds like it changed your homepage and you need to manually change it back.

GlastronGuy
11-05-2004, 04:59 PM
This "home search" deal that pops up seems to be always my default browser. It is not letting my look at pics like on boattraderonline and so forth.
when I click on my internet browser the "about: blank" pops in the url. Do any of you reconize this annoying shit?
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hsremove.html

Restless22
11-05-2004, 05:00 PM
In Internet Explorer, along the top bar, click on tools, then Internet options. Change the url for your home page there and click apply. Then you hopefully won't go there again.
Sounds like it changed your homepage and you need to manually change it back.
I tryed that. I put in yahoo for a home page. applied it. Then when I x out of the internet, then later on come into it. The frikkn "about blank" always sticks in the homepage dealio.
Thanks for the help!

IN2MX
11-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Maybe you just want to bite the bullet and remove then re-install your internet explorer...

paradigm shift
If you are running XP you will need to turn system restore OFF and then run your anti-virus and spy-ware programs. Back everything up you do not want to lose because you never know. Sounds like you have something running in the registry and when you start deleting those you can have trouble. If your system restore set a restore point with the bugs they will always be there unless you turn it system restore off. Don't forget to turn it back on!! Been there done that.
Please ignore everything if you already knew this. Good luck. :rollside:

GlastronGuy
Maybe you just want to bite the bullet and remove then re-install your internet explorer...
You can't.

Mrs.Racer277
11-05-2004, 05:12 PM
If you are running XP you will need to turn system restore OFF and then run your anti-virus and spy-ware programs. Back everything up you do not want to lose because you never know. Sounds like you have something running in the registry and when you start deleting those you can have trouble. If your system restore set a restore point with the bugs they will always be there unless you turn it system restore off. Don't forget to turn it back on!! Been there done that.
Please ignore everything if you already knew this. Good luck. :rollside:
This is best advice. However, make sure you only back up Data files, no programs. You may want to check every file that you back up to make sure it is something you need.
Make sure to set System Restore back on afterward.
Working in the registry is a last ditch effort before a system restore. Only recommended if you know what you're doing (and have a level head-don't work in the registry while pissed at your comp.).
Good Luck. (Mr. R277)

Mrs. Restless22
11-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Im going to try the system restore option....where do I go abouts turning that off??
You guys rock...btw :wink:

Scream
11-05-2004, 05:22 PM
When you disable system restore, you're old restore points are lost, but that's probably ok at this point.
To get to system restore, click start, RIGHT click My Computer, click properties, click on the system restore tab and get to gettin...

shueman
11-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Get a MAC.... :D

Restless22
11-06-2004, 12:51 PM
This about:blank is driving me nuts! I have tryed all the above programs that you guys recommended. And it is still there. Any other ideas? :hammerhea

JustMVG
11-06-2004, 01:00 PM
If you have the date that you went to the "House Search" you could go back to before that date and have your restore point there, remember some sites hijack your tool bar for your explorer and will then only allow you to browse sites that are connected to THAT browser, happens with google and some of the other search engines, good luck MikeVG, also scan your system more often than you have been, if you have kids using the computer, like i do, stuff is guaranteed to be there when you need to use the computer most.
Again good luck

FOURQ
11-06-2004, 02:06 PM
the problem you are having will not be fixed by any software it is set in the registry and you need to manually fix it yourself or by a pro.. do a regedit (start- run type there) and look at all the files and find were it says about :blank and change it with your default web page you want .. it will be in there around 6 to 10 times and you need to change them all...
4Q

uvindex
11-06-2004, 02:13 PM
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hsremove.htmlGlastronGuy posted the solution last night (see above) -- the program that his link above points to is specifically designed to eliminate the Home Search parasite.
Good luck! :)

GlastronGuy
11-06-2004, 02:21 PM
NVM

WUTWZAT
11-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Check your mouse, maybe its sticky :cool:

Cheap Thrills
11-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Check your mouse, maybe its sticky :cool:
if your mouse is sticky maybe you have a rodent problem:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127mouse_love.gif
C.T. :wink:

NorCal Gameshow
11-07-2004, 09:31 AM
the problem you are having will not be fixed by any software it is set in the registry and you need to manually fix it yourself or by a pro.. do a regedit (start- run type there) and look at all the files and find were it says about :blank and change it with your default web page you want .. it will be in there around 6 to 10 times and you need to change them all...
4Q
yeah, what he said...but send the registry to do the desktop in case you have problems, the registry can be tricky...
does anyone know if the problems would go away if he downloaded mozilla and use it instead of I.E.???

JustMVG
11-07-2004, 10:18 AM
GlastronGuy posted the solution last night (see above) -- the program that his link above points to is specifically designed to eliminate the Home Search parasite.
Good luck! :)
OK with the current problem he has he Can't get to the site to download or buy what he needs, browser is hijacked and hes stuck.

GlastronGuy
11-07-2004, 10:23 AM
OK with the current problem he has he Can't get to the site to download or buy what he needs, browser is hijacked and hes stuck.
???