PDA

View Full Version : Quadra-toilet Question

Mardonzi
11-05-2004, 09:51 PM
OK,, here is the problem,, I am in the process of resurecting my rockcrawler jeep, it has a Chev conversion in it with a Quadra-jet carb. I had one professionally rebuilt and installed it today. No sooner do I get it started and running and it starts leaking gas out of every availible orifice. I swapped it out with the original one and it is leaking in all the same places (out of the accelerator pump shaft, primary and secondary butterfly shafts, etc...) Everyone that I have talked to is perplexed by this so I am relying on the expertise of this crowd to help with a solution.
I have given up for the night and resorted to drinking tequila and posting,,,,

repo man
11-05-2004, 10:25 PM
it will stop leaking when the gaskets swell up ,give it a day or so.

bigkatboat
11-05-2004, 10:35 PM
My friends an I are working on an "electronic carburator", it will replace your carb. and give you better 'control' of your motor. It will not use typical carb 'values', but rather, be like EFI. We are trying to bring it down to "Holley carb." prices. We will need a few more months to bring this 'up to speed'. You will all hear about the results as they happen.

h2oski2fast
11-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Make sure that the fuel pressure is not exessive. That would cause leaking where it shouldn't leak. Quadra-junk carbs are better as wheel chalks. :D

Mardonzi
11-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Make sure that the fuel pressure is not exessive. That would cause leaking where it shouldn't leak. Quadra-junk carbs are better as wheel chalks. :D
Did that,, tried 3 different fuel pumps,,, same result with all 3

Rexone
11-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Sounds like needle valve is leaking flooding the carb...
Possibilities include too much fuel pressure,
a saturated float that is sinking
a good float that is set too high
crap in the needle valve / seat assy holding it partially open
Contrary to many's beliefs the QJ can be an excellent carb if built properly. Not necessarily a max performance carb but a good reliable carb for moderate performance. In fact I prefer them over a 4150/4160 Holley in a non high perf /racing application. Generally the rep they get as crap carburetors comes from those who do not know how to rebuild them properly or fully understand them and the little fixes that they inherently need. They are actually a very simple carburetor and from what I've seen and experienced rebuilding many of them vs Holleys, have less problems overall than Holleys.

plaster dave
11-05-2004, 11:37 PM
OK,, here is the problem,, I am in the process of resurecting my rockcrawler jeep, it has a Chev conversion in it with a Quadra-jet carb. I had one professionally rebuilt and installed it today. No sooner do I get it started and running and it starts leaking gas out of every availible orifice. I swapped it out with the original one and it is leaking in all the same places (out of the accelerator pump shaft, primary and secondary butterfly shafts, etc...) Everyone that I have talked to is perplexed by this so I am relying on the expertise of this crowd to help with a solution.
I have given up for the night and resorted to drinking tequila and posting,,,,
ok first take it back to the place and tell them the prob. 2nd check your fuel pres. 3rd throw that peice of shit in the trash. But seriouslly if you need help call me and I will let you talk to my friend Mike that has been rebuilding carbs. for 15 years. call me @ 818-402-2769 I hope this helps :D

PowellScooter
11-06-2004, 06:12 AM
Don
It was good to meet you guys last weekend, I have a couple of carbs for you to try, 1 holley and a q-jet. I gotta think where they are , Its my Saturday to work so I will look this afternoon and give you a call, or call me at work, 5-5450 scooter

Mardonzi
11-06-2004, 06:25 AM
ok first take it back to the place and tell them the prob. 2nd check your fuel pres. 3rd throw that peice of shit in the trash. But seriouslly if you need help call me and I will let you talk to my friend Mike that has been rebuilding carbs. for 15 years. call me @ 818-402-2769 I hope this helps :D
would love to.... unfortunately the carb guy here in town decided to take off for a month,,, and he's the only one in his shop. I just might have to give you a call later this afternoon... Thanks for the help.

Mardonzi
11-06-2004, 06:26 AM
Don
It was good to meet you guys last weekend, I have a couple of carbs for you to try, 1 holley and a q-jet. I gotta think where they are , Its my Saturday to work so I will look this afternoon and give you a call, or call me at work, 5-5450 scooter
I'll call you after we get back from playing paintball... kind of a informal try-out for our tourney team....

DansBlown73Nordic
11-06-2004, 06:41 AM
I do not know what happens to those carbs. I had one once that I tried to put a kit in several times. It was on my 1966 327. It would run perfect and then all the sudden drop a load of gas. I tried a new float. Different float settings. I was ready to SCREAM. I finally bought a brand new one from GM. The car has run perfect ever since.

burtandnancy
11-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Rexone said it all, but I'd add that without a pressure guage in the line you don't know where you are. Fuel pumps are expensive, guages are cheap...

burtandnancy
11-06-2004, 12:22 PM
oops, forgot the regulator. The systems isn't complete without a pressure guage and regulator...

Back Forty
11-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Rexone said it all, but I'd add that without a pressure guage in the line you don't know where you are. Fuel pumps are expensive, guages are cheap...
Exactly. QJets are fine. They are designed to handle about 6-7 psi. That means 6-7 psi... If you can't account for your system you will be kicking the dead horse. It's very easy to over come that issue.