PDA

View Full Version : Boat Storage Tips

voodoomedman
11-05-2004, 10:14 PM
In the interest of an actual boating thread I though it would be interesting to get ideas on must do things when locking up your toy.
I always put the drive down as to not wear out the joints.
Also since it is stored at the river I fill a couple of buckets with water and leave them in there so that there is moisture in the air and nothing starts to weather and crack.
What does everybody else do that is an important must do?

CrazyHippy
11-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Fill the fuel tanks.
2 benefits
1. less condensation/ water in the fuel
2. Gas prices will be higher next time out, so save the money.
BJH

switchin'addiction
11-06-2004, 04:42 AM
I was hoping more people would contribute to this thread. Looking for some good tips myself that I hadn't thought of.. :confused:

WetWillie
11-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Water bucket idea work??
Battery Tenders
Good cleaning so its ready to go next season.
Chain around the axle for no easy departure.
Remove all drains so everything can dry out.
Lock on the tounge.
WW

Mandelon
11-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Do you put any additives in your fuel to let it sit for a few months?

Havasu Hangin'
11-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Sta-Bil for the gas (run it through the carbs). Pull all the cushions and pop the hatch.
I used to take the batteries out and set them on a block of wood, but I have an onboard charger now.
Loosen the straps on the trailer to keep them from stretching. I guess you could put the trailer on jackstands to save the tires...but mine doesn't sit that long.

Sane Asylum
11-06-2004, 08:12 AM
My storage tip since I live in AZ.....
Keep using boat through the winter.......It's the easiest one and the most fun.... :wink:

Mandelon
11-06-2004, 08:12 AM
I keep mine here at home and go out and start it up every three weeks and run it on the hose for a bit. Neighbors love me..... :rolleyes: :sqeyes:

BarryMac
11-06-2004, 09:01 AM
I keep mine here at home and go out and start it up every three weeks and run it on the hose for a bit. Neighbors love me..... :rolleyes: :sqeyes:
Rich, do you know if San Vicente is a year around lake, I would like to take it there and run it about every three weeks (can't really fire it in the driveway without doing some sort of damage), just to keep it primed and the pump greased...

Mandelon
11-06-2004, 09:39 AM
They have a county lake website. I think it is open all year, just not for skiing.
SD Lake Info Page: SD Lake Info Page (http://www.sannet.gov/park-and-recreation/general-info/concessions.shtml)
You didn't take it out every three weeks in the summer, how are you going to do it in the winter!! :D

BarryMac
11-06-2004, 10:02 AM
They have a county lake website. I think it is open all year, just not for skiing.
SD Lake Info Page: SD Lake Info Page (http://www.sannet.gov/park-and-recreation/general-info/concessions.shtml)
You didn't take it out every three weeks in the summer, how are you going to do it in the winter!! :D
Not sure yet, maybe a divorce will do the trick... :confused: :confused: :confused:

BajaMike
11-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Fill the fuel tanks.
2 benefits
1. less condensation/ water in the fuel
2. Gas prices will be higher next time out, so save the money.
BJH
I'm not sure filling the tanks is a good idea, because gas spoils, unless you use avgas....it doen't spoil.
:idea:

switchin'addiction
11-06-2004, 07:27 PM
I do the same thing, but my neighbors are assholes so I pull mine out of the garage just far enough so that I get that real nice echoing of the exhaust out of the garage. :devil: If they can mow their lawn at sunup I can start my boat at midnight. :D

Boatcop
11-06-2004, 07:48 PM
1. Put it on blocks to take the weight off the tires to prevent flat spots. (especially if one goes flat)
2. Remove or disconnect the batteries.
3. Install a tongue lock.
4. If stored outside (like in a covered driveway) chain and lock the trailer to something heavy and/or permanently installed. (I know guys who've cemented eye-bolts in their driveway/pad for this purpose)
5. Make sure you have ALL serial numbers recorded somewhere. Engine, Drive, Gimbel Housing, stereos, Boat HIN, etc.
6. If Arizona Registered, take out the Registration. Ownership of the boat can be transferred, just by signing the back of it. (No Title in AZ)

THATJEFFGUY
11-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Why store it ? Just sell it, and buy a bigger one next season !!

ELVIS
11-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Sta-Bil for the gas (run it through the carbs). Pull all the cushions and pop the hatch.
I used to take the batteries out and set them on a block of wood, but I have an onboard charger now.
Loosen the straps on the trailer to keep them from stretching. I guess you could put the trailer on jackstands to save the tires...but mine doesn't sit that long.
a block of wood "old wise tale" batteries will discharge on concrete or wood or whatever ? save the wood for the fire.

cdog
11-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Tent the cover so the god damm thing does'nt fill up with water. I picked up my 100k bath tub on friday and the cab was full of water. Ooooppppssss!

Underfunded
11-06-2004, 10:33 PM
What is the blue shrink wrap they use? Who sells it?

cdog
11-06-2004, 10:37 PM
I've been trying to find out were to get it. One of my friends sells packaging materials and he's looking into 4 foot wide plastic wrap for me. The boat's going to look like thanksgiving left overs. :D

JustMVG
11-06-2004, 11:37 PM
a block of wood "old wise tale" batteries will discharge on concrete or wood or whatever ? save the wood for the fire.
I give my Batteries a good charge then keep the cables off to keep from allowing any discharge, but batteries like to drain and be recharged it's their nature. They will discharge anyway unless they're being used. Most deep cycle marine batts hold the charge for a good while, and out here in Calif. the winters at least where i'm at don't hurt the acids like the harsh winters in other places.
MVG

voodoomedman
11-07-2004, 08:11 AM
QUOTE=switchin'addiction]I was hoping more people would contribute to this thread. Looking for some good tips myself that I hadn't thought of.. :confused:[/QUOTE]
Yeah I was hoping for some good info too. Keep em coming.
Water bucket idea work??
I think it does as some of the water is gone from the buckets when I come back. I hear it's good to leave water in the sinks if you have a place out there too.
-----------------------------------
I also put about a hundred locks on my boat and I just bought this http://www.trailerlock.com/pricing.html
And I take all my paperwork with me. Boatcop is right get serial's for everything and take your az registration. That's your ownership paper. No pink slip like in California. It's also a good idea to videotape everything for insurance purposes. No denying what extra's you have if it's on video.
Lastly I have a prop lock and a sterndrive lock.