PDA

View Full Version : The Banderlog Diverter Power Relay...

Scarab Jet
11-06-2004, 11:50 AM
1) Is it really that good? I mean, will it really make my diverter go up and down alot faster than it is now? (I am going through the ignition switch right now)...
2) Where is the place to get it at the best price?
Thanx in advance...
Mike...

victorfb
11-06-2004, 12:38 PM
it is a quality product and works well. though i think you may be missunderstanding the purpose of it. what it will do is give you instant response as the hot wire comes directly from the battery. no need for a large wire to go from the diverter unit, up to the dash, then back to the unit again. thats were the amp loss comes from. as for speed of the diverter action, you will need to change the hydrolic line size to achieve this. with the banderlog relay unit you can use just about any type of switch without the need for diods. the relay has them built in. the concept is very similar to the relay on a starter switch. you get the power for the motor directly from the battery/source. a small wire is used for triggering the relay unit. hense the quiker and stronger action of the motor, but not necessarily a faster turning motor. though with the proper amperage to the motor it will spin at its optimum efficiency and allowing the motor a longer life. i highly recommend the banderlog relay unit as it will help your diverter pump work easier and last longer. install larger diameter hydrolic lines and you will get a faster actuating diverter (to an extent).
Rex Marine is now selling the Banderlog relay.

Scarab Jet
11-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanx victorfb... apprciate the response...
One more question... I am currently using one of those steering wheel mounted up/down buttons with the curly wires wrapped around the steering wheel. So, do I need to change anything in the existing wiring (i.e., the orange wire that is going from these trim buttons to my ignition switch onthe dash)? Or can I just let that be the way it is?

GlastronGuy
11-06-2004, 01:27 PM
http://www.banderlog.com/products/powerRelays/diverterPowerRelay/diverterPowerRelay.html

78Southwind
11-06-2004, 01:35 PM
I haven't bought the Banderlog relay yet just tapped into the fuse box that I had run up to the bulk head directly up from my battery. I originally ran it like you did straight from the ignition switch but I noticed I was losing RPM everytime I switch the diverter up or down. You could make your own relay but the Banderlog makes wiring it into your existing system very simple and clean.

Jake W2
11-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Mine has allways been hooked up that way pulling power off the bat and I did not need anything to do it.Unless I am missing something here?
Jake

GlastronGuy
11-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Mine has allways been hooked up that way pulling power off the bat and I did not need any thing to do it.Unless I am missing something hear?
Jake
Other than English language skills?
That aside, you might re-read victorfb's post.

XtrmWakeborder
11-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Other than English language skills?
That aside, you might re-read victorfb's post.
lol ouch

victorfb
11-06-2004, 06:03 PM
the link showing the wiring diagram that glastronguy posted basically says it all. you no longer use a couple of the wires and can use the existing wires from the original harnes/loom from your diverter switch. though now you no longer need the amperage that used to go through the wires. the banderlog relay only needs a small amount of amperage to activate the diverter motor.
Jakew2. the power is still coming from the battery, just not as much amperage needed to go all the way up to your switch on the dash and back to the diverter motor. the longer the wire the more amperage loss. yes you are getting the power from the battery with a regular set up. but with the banderlog relay it only goes from the battery to the diverter motor.

BlownNitro540
11-06-2004, 07:02 PM
I have a Banderlog diverter relay in my boat, works great, made the wiring much easier with the CP Performance steering wheel mounted up/down switch.

Jake W2
11-08-2004, 05:17 AM
Glastron Guy, whats you problem with my post?It is to bad you feel the need to belittle me for my spelling or English language skills,because you can't find anything else to make you feel better about yourself.
Jake

superdave013
11-08-2004, 06:12 AM
You could do the same thing with a couple of relays and a diode across each coil.

cruser
11-08-2004, 12:56 PM
SD,
Yes you could but this device comes prepackaged and potted against moisture. You mount it close to the diverter pump, make the pump to relay connections, make the batery to relay connections and run a couple of wires from the relay to the contol switch and you are done.
I could have done the same thing that Jim did but it was worth the money to use his idea instead. He did a much better job at creating a complete package than I would have.
I haven't installed mine yet so I can not comment on any improvement or performance. However, the reason I bought it in the first place is that when I first start boating in the spring, the diverter seems to be "Sticky", i.e. it works sporadically at first but after a few minutes of running, it works much better. I also noticed that when the batteries are at 100% charge, the diverter is more reliable. My thought is that the pump or selenoids used to "steer" the fluid are overly sensitive to the voltage applied and that this relay should help increase the voltage they see when activated. When I install it. I will see if there is an improvement.

GlastronGuy
11-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Glastron Guy, whats you problem with my post?It is to bad you feel the need to belittle me for my spelling or English language skills,because you can't find anything else to make you feel better about yourself.
Jake
:rolleyes:

Jake W2
11-08-2004, 06:21 PM
:sleeping:
Jake

HotRod Sprint
11-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Jake
Hey Jake, quit swettin the small stuff and finish that boat, so we can see it run. :D
Rod