PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel ram pix

454,pantherjet witchcraft
03-04-2002, 09:13 PM
With all the information available here I was wondering what the best set up would be for my BBC 454. I am looking for a little more power and want to put a Tunnel Ram on but was wondering what would be the best set up for this. I.E. Cam, Tunnel, Carb? Thanks for the info
Witchcraft

77charger
03-04-2002, 09:18 PM
what size cam do you have,what is the compression ratio,heads ported?unless you are running at least 10-1 and a236@.50 duration cam i'd stick with a properly set up 4 bbl.The t ram would look cool but might be more trouble and will not really gain anything if you cant burn the extra fuel and air.

jwbbuck
03-05-2002, 04:56 AM
Just how hard is the setup of a tunnel ram? Excluding the installation, are they really that much of a pain in the ass? I'm just about ready to purchase one for a mostly stock BBC, but I was only buying it for the look. Is it worth it?

HavasuDreamin'
03-05-2002, 07:33 AM
I agree with 77charger, your basically putting too much carb on the motor. No performance increase and asking for headaches! Just my $.02, if you want the look, go all the way, cam, heads, bottom end! Good Luck!

Hotcrusader76
03-06-2002, 07:47 AM
I run a tunnel ram on my Crusader. I do have to agree with the previous post, and recommend researching your set-up first. To much fuel and air will hurt you. I run 10.5-1 and an Edelbrock TRX2 tunnel ram on my 468 Chevy. I also run a conservative but logical carb set-up as well. I have 2 660 Holley center squirters that have been modified, and I haven't had any complaints yet. I still have the stock rear metering blocks and I am jetted at 72. I keep the carbs freshly sealed with annual rebuilds and keep them well flushed throughout the winter season. I also run a stout Mallory ignition and Mallory fuel set-up which compliments the tunnel/carbs. My heads are also Iron rect.port models with triple valve springs. It's all about a well rounded combination.I have heard plenty of ***** stories on tunnel rams, and frequently get "clowned" for my set-up based on ignorant assumptions, but if you want my advice? My carbs (660 Center squirters) are set-up inline (very simple).Do your research! My motor was well built, and built for the RPM band the tunnel was designed for 3-8K RPM. Good luck and email me at TPCRacing@cox.net if you have any questions or concerns.
[This message has been edited by Hotcrusader76 (edited March 06, 2002).]

nastyhabit
03-06-2002, 07:14 PM
hell ya go big get that tunnelram youll love yourself for it call summit 1-800-230-3030 and tell them to send you a wish catalog i run 2222222222222222 1050 dominators on my tunnel-nasty

03-06-2002, 08:12 PM
Ok, Have looked all over the motor and so far only have been able to find a few numbers on the block and heads.
So Far the letters UJ? Anyone have any ideas what this means?
Second the numbers, 361959, I have found that this is a 454 BBC built in 1978-1987 And assuming four bolt main Becouse of the marine application.
Third number 1077J0630-2 again have no idea what is meant by this #. Doea any one have an answer? Or maybe a good web sight or person to contact?
This is a PANTHER 454.
Thanks to all. I see what you are all saying about the info and I would like to find these answers by numbers and not have to tear the motor down. any other ideas would be welcome to.
Again thanks to all.

03-07-2002, 10:35 PM
Ok, Finally got alot of information about this motor from the original builder at panther marine (JOHN). This motor is now 320 hp, 2 bolt main but very well could be the four bolt main, oval port heads open, 113.0cc, 8:8.1 compression, motor built on june 17th 1977. I was told by john to get a duel plane regular or high rise manifold, 750 holley, and for the cam said if I could find a cam kit with the part # JB100 made by what sounded like he said SIEG ERNSON. the name may be wrong but is like that. He said they where located in Carson city Nevada and would grind these for the motors. Any one have any ideas?
Witchcraft