11-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Sat Ming pics;http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/4490302.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/449454.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/449707.jpg
Pics barrowed from Hot Spots West
Jim

WheelerDealer
11-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Looks like Cyclone is putting the Whoop-Ass on a flattie. What kind of numbers is everyone running this weekend??

Squirtin Thunder
11-07-2004, 12:25 PM
It looks like Cyclone is running a 707 in the pic.
Jim

Cs19
11-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Ming was a blast, perfect conditions all weekend, nice boat turn out, and some real impressive numbers.
I was able to get 7 runs in this weekend, 6 in RR, 1 in dash for cash. Which was great for me since I wanted to try different things out. I made either a nozzle angle, shoe depth or loader change each pass. Busted my ass out there lyin on my back in the dirt all weekend. :hammerhea .Never touched the engine, just put gas in it. :cool:
Out of the 6 runs (didnt get a time slip for one run) I ran in the teens 4 times, 9.18 , 9.17 , 9.18 and 9.12. the other 3 runs were in the .20s. Teens were my goal for the weekend, so I am more than stoked, really wanted to get a 9.0 but i just couldnt find it, but I know it has it left in it for sure! Next time ill find it.
Thanks to Jack Mc, Kevin Taylor, Jeff Bennett,Jerry Hicks, Jordan, Shannon and my mom for all your help. You guys are the best!
Great seeing all the crew, plus all the new people I met.
Chris

Squirtin Thunder
11-07-2004, 09:35 PM
cs19,
Where are the pics ????
Jim

Cs19
11-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Sorry Jim, I wasnt able to take any pics, I just didnt have the time.

Cs19
11-07-2004, 09:51 PM
http://spect8foto.com/Events/NJBA%20Nov%202004/Page%202/NJBA_Nov_TTSR_01.html

Squirtin Thunder
11-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Good job on achieving your goal Chris.
Now there where no pics of your runs in that link you posted.
Jim

cyclone
11-08-2004, 10:29 AM
My weekend started bad and ended up good. I ran 5 passes in the River Racer class and then bought 2 Safety Passes after ironing out some kinks in my boat.
First couple of passes were 9.47/110 mph and 9.48/109 mph
Wasted the next pass by forgetting to reinstall number 1 and 7 plug wires after checking the plugs. Ran down the track on 6 cylinders and thought the boat was sinking. boy that was fun. what a relief it was to find out the boat wasn't taking on water. An interesting note is that the engine still turned the AA impeller 5,200 rpm.
Got the plug wires back on the plugs and on the next pass, the ratchet kicked out of gear on the holding rope. By that time I was so pissed off at the boat that i jumped out of my seat, crawled to the back of the boat, layed on the header and put the ratchet back in gear so i could make a pass. Ended up burning my arm on the header. Climbed back to the seat, refired the boat and I took off and ran over the wake from the other boat that had just left. Needless to say the pass was exciting! I was so late leaving the holding rope that the other boat was off the course by the time i started and I didnt get a timeslip for the run.
My next pass was nerve racking because all I could think about on the rope was whether or not the boat would even get down the track. Thankfully it did and i ran the nozzle at a conservative angle and the boat ran a 9.35 ET at 111 mph.
Next I yanked the interior out of the boat including the false floor and that shaved some time off the ET. the boat went 9.23 at 112 mph.
Next, I pulled out a .030 shim from the shoe because according to the Qwikdata system, it was overcharging the intake and the boat went 9.12 at 108.9 mph. i think the mph is wrong but i forgot to turn on the gps to verify it.
All in all it was a good experience and I learned a ton of new info. Thanks to Tom Papp Racing for setting up the boat, Steve Brule and his team, Jack McLure for helping out with the Qwikdata system, DJD placecraft and his buddy Jason for their help, HB Jet and MikeF for wrenching and towing the boat all weekend, Mudpumper and everyone else that i forgot who stopped by to say hi!

Squirtin Thunder
11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Cyclone,
I saw a vidio on Banderlog last night that Jack posted, It seemed to have a hard time taking a set but then took-off like a rocket. Looked real good. I wish I could have been there. I have come down with Bell's Palsey which has put an anchor on things a bit. But I kept up with as much as I could from here.
I still think that you have a very fast Vbottom boat. I hope mine will run half as good as yours.
Jim

cyclone
11-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info ST. I just checked out the video. Hope you get better. keep us posted.

Cs19
11-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Hey Mike, good job this weekend.
Thanks for the race, that was my favorite run all weekend.I knew it was on like kong when the announcer had me slide over to the right lane. :D I think Bp had something to do with that. Thanks Bob.
I agree with you on the MPH thing, had my GPS on every pass.
Not sure if anyone heard about DJD's friend, he had a fuel delivery problem and his boat (cp copy) hooked and took a hard turn and took out the half track lights while throwing him into the side of the boat, he said he almost came out? Glad he ended up being OK. I was in the other lane at the time, I had a bad feeling in my stomach when I drove into the outramp and didnt hear him behind me pulling in, I then looked for rescue and saw that they had moved, I knew something happened, glad it wasnt too serious.when I talked to the driver, he said it scared the sh*t out of him BIG TIME.
You can never take this stuff too seriously,even us slow guys, atleast thats the way i look at it.
Thanks to NJBA for the river race class, that just topped off an already awesome summer.
Im just bummed there are no races till March. :jawdrop: thats a long time!! :D

cyclone
11-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Hey Mike, good job this weekend.
Thanks for the race, that was my favorite run all weekend.I knew it was on like kong when the announcer had me slide over to the right lane. :D I think Bp had something to do with that. Thanks Bob.
I agree with you on the MPH thing, had my GPS on every pass.
Not sure if anyone heard about DJD's friend, he had a fuel delivery problem and his boat (cp copy) hooked and took a hard turn and took out the half track lights while throwing him into the side of the boat, he said he almost came out? Glad he ended up being OK. I was in the other lane at the time, I had a bad feeling in my stomach when I drove into the outramp and didnt hear him behind me pulling in, I then looked for rescue and saw that they had moved, I knew something happened, glad it wasnt too serious.when I talked to the driver, he said it scared the sh*t out of him BIG TIME.
You can never take this stuff too seriously,even us slow guys, atleast thats the way i look at it.
Thanks to NJBA for the river race class, that just topped off an already awesome summer.
Im just bummed there are no races till March. :jawdrop: thats a long time!! :D
yup that's why i kept buying safety passes and getting back in line. I didn't want to spend my winter wondering what changes i could have made to the boat to run quicker. Didn't get to try everything i wanted but that's ok. It's going to be a long wait until the next time we hear "watch the lights".
Jason took the bad run pretty well. He was smiling by the end of the day. I dont think i would have taken getting nearly pitched out of my boat as well as he did. He's a trooper for sure.

Cs19
11-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Jason took the bad run pretty well.
Thats right.Thats one of those things you pray never happens and he handled it like a pro when it did.
cyclone, next time your in my hood bring that seat with ya. Later.

bp
11-08-2004, 08:28 PM
cyclone (and of course anyone else), don't know if anyone said anything to ya after the jetaway incident. i was sitting in the other lane watching when that happened to ya, hoping you'd just sit there.
just for future reference - whenever something like that happens, the thing won't go, or it turns, or you're out of shape, or it's just not right, especially in river racer or during qualifying just shut it off and sit there until the ski comes and gets you. they'll just let you check things, put you back on the rope if everything is good, and you can go again. better to wait, get composed and get a good clean pass than to get rushed and have something go a little tipsy. bad things can happen that way.

PC Rat
11-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Next, I pulled out a .030 shim from the shoe because according to the Qwikdata system, it was overcharging the intake and the boat went 9.12 at 108.9 mph.
How much pressure were you seeing?

djdtpr
11-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Jason took the bad run pretty well. He was smiling by the end of the day. I dont think i would have taken getting nearly pitched out of my boat as well as he did. He's a trooper for sure.
He took it a little rough at first but by the end of the day he was ok.I dont think he will run it again but he was happy with what it ran and is content at those speeds.This wasnt the first time he has experienced this sort of problem with the boat it shut off on him once at the river also and hooked left and damn near sent him for a swim.Luckly all is well we had a great time thanks to everyone there.Accept Randy and his loud ass snoring!

Cs19
11-09-2004, 12:33 AM
What exactly is overcharging ?
Is it another way of saying you had too much shoe in it resulting in excess drag? Or?
Are you "Blowing the tail"?
At what point while looking at inlet pressure do you determine its too high and its "overcharging"? Do you really have excess inlet pressure after 3/4 track? I know i dont
Just curious, I dont really follow the whole concept just yet, but I sure hear the term alot.

Nucking futs
11-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Sounds like you guys had a blast and you are really getting those boats to move.Good Job,Maybe i will be at the season opener and race that river racer class.......Tim

cyclone
11-09-2004, 09:47 AM
PC and CS19-
Here's how i determined that i might be overcharging the intake. Prior to installing the .030 shim above the shoe i was getting suction pressure readings of 25-35 psi and it was falling down to zero at the end of the track. I had questioned whether or not the turning fin beneath the boat was disturbing the flow of water into the intake so before the race Brian and Brett at Tom Papp RAcing cut the fin off the boat and filled the bottom in. 1st pass down the track the intake pressures were 35-40 psi and holding steady all the way down the track. I wanted to see what the installing the shim would do to the attitude of the boat so after I got my second and third bad passes out of the way I put the shim in. After installing the shim, the suction pressure readings consistently jumped to 65-75 psi (no joke!) but the boat didn't go any quicker and the bowl pressure only jumped up 10-12 psi. It seemed to me that i was putting much more water into the intake and not getting it out of the bowl quick enough. The shutdown at the end of the track was pretty hairy too so that also played a part in my decision to pull the shim. After removing the shim the boat immediatly dropped over 2/10's off the ET and the intake pressures stabilized to a consistent 45-50 psi down the track. So it seems that keeping the shoe level with the keel is the way to go with my boat which is good because laying on my back under the boat sucked.

cyclone
11-09-2004, 10:04 AM
cyclone (and of course anyone else), don't know if anyone said anything to ya after the jetaway incident. i was sitting in the other lane watching when that happened to ya, hoping you'd just sit there.
just for future reference - whenever something like that happens, the thing won't go, or it turns, or you're out of shape, or it's just not right, especially in river racer or during qualifying just shut it off and sit there until the ski comes and gets you. they'll just let you check things, put you back on the rope if everything is good, and you can go again. better to wait, get composed and get a good clean pass than to get rushed and have something go a little tipsy. bad things can happen that way.
You are definately right. In the heat of the moment I just jumped because my pass. It hadnt occured to me that the water would be messed up. Looking back on it, it was a bonehead move.

Squirtin Thunder
11-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Cyclone,
your saying that with the intake shoe level with the keel line it improved all the way around, et and mph, on your boat right ???
So on your boat you are sort of like this. See pic;
Jim

cyclone
11-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Jim-
If i lay a straight edge on the keel of my boat ahead of the intake it lines up directly with the biting edge of the shoe. It went 2 mph slower without the shim than the previous pass with the shim, but lowered the ET which is what i'm more concerned with. I'd rather be quick and safe than fast and dangerous. Remember its a v-bottom.

Squirtin Thunder
11-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Can you post a pic please ???
Thanks
Jim

cyclone
11-09-2004, 12:09 PM
I dont have one now. If i can remember tonight i'll take one when i get home and post it tomorrow.

cyclone
11-09-2004, 12:58 PM
pics.

cyclone
11-09-2004, 01:05 PM
and my personal favorite. lol

hack job
11-09-2004, 01:16 PM
mike that last pic is pretty funny

cyclone
11-09-2004, 01:27 PM
our real fake racing team hanging out. lol
I need to give you your EZ UP back one of these days.

HBjet
11-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Can you post a pic please ???
Thanks
Jim
Here is my boat....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20bottom003-med.jpg
HBjet

Cs19
11-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Oh no you didnt!
LOL, thats a rad pic.

Cs19
11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
PC and CS19-
Here's how i determined that i might be overcharging the intake. Prior to installing the .030 shim above the shoe i was getting suction pressure readings of 25-35 psi and it was falling down to zero at the end of the track. I had questioned whether or not the turning fin beneath the boat was disturbing the flow of water into the intake so before the race Brian and Brett at Tom Papp RAcing cut the fin off the boat and filled the bottom in. 1st pass down the track the intake pressures were 35-40 psi and holding steady all the way down the track. I wanted to see what the installing the shim would do to the attitude of the boat so after I got my second and third bad passes out of the way I put the shim in. After installing the shim, the suction pressure readings consistently jumped to 65-75 psi (no joke!) but the boat didn't go any quicker and the bowl pressure only jumped up 10-12 psi. It seemed to me that i was putting much more water into the intake and not getting it out of the bowl quick enough. The shutdown at the end of the track was pretty hairy too so that also played a part in my decision to pull the shim. After removing the shim the boat immediatly dropped over 2/10's off the ET and the intake pressures stabilized to a consistent 45-50 psi down the track. So it seems that keeping the shoe level with the keel is the way to go with my boat which is good because laying on my back under the boat sucked.
Ok, that makes sence (i think), I didnt realize you had determined the fin was the problem.That was a pretty easy fix, you must be stoked.
So it picked up 2 tenths after you pulled the .030 shim out, but you ran a few passes already without the .030 shim. So what it comes down to is, you picked up 2 tenths from pulling the interior? Is that right?
Also, you picked up the inlet pressure on your last pass compared to your first pass, although the set up was the same except less weight , is that right?
Sorry, im a llittle slow today. :cool:
good job last weekend, couldnt beleive you busted out a 9.12, I thought I had you covered for the weekend you bastard. :smile:
Can you imagine how cool that would have been if we both would have ran our 9.12's when we raced. that would have been rad.

cyclone
11-10-2004, 10:09 AM
the et dropped from 9.47 to 9.33 after i pulled the interior.
after pulling out the shim the et dropped to 9.12 seconds.
there's more left, I just have to get used to launching the boat with less weight in it. The last past I made I did a big burnout at the start and pegged the motor to 7,500 rpm. gave it way too much throttle. That pass was 9.23.
You did a great job this weekend. I couldnt believe how consistent your runs were and never thought I'd catch up to you. I'll drop that seat off at jack's thursday night. thanks again!

cyclone
11-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Oh no you didnt!
LOL, thats a rad pic.
oh yes i did. :)

Squirtin Thunder
11-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Here is my boat....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20bottom003-med.jpg
HBjet
So that is HBjets intake right ????
I would like to see Cyclones please !!!!
Jim

cyclone
11-10-2004, 10:25 AM
jim- sorry but i forgot to take pic of it last night. I'll go home for lunch and get it for you. Basically though, that pic of HB's intake is very similar to mine. We have the exact same loader and the back-cut shoe is similar too.

hack job
11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
our real fake racing team hanging out. lol
I need to give you your EZ UP back one of these days.
no rush iam sure we will be talking over the winter lol :wink:

Cs19
11-10-2004, 04:52 PM
More pics. Link 1 and 3 are not working yet.
http://spect8foto.com/Events/NJBA%20Nov%202004/main.htm

djdtpr
11-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Mike that pic is cool as hell i printed it as a picture.That just goes to show that people from different sides of the track can hang and have a good time together.I cant wait till next year we had too much fun this year.I dont think ill be staying at the rio bravo anymore though.That place really sucks now.Call me and let me know about going to the races next weekend.Late
Mr Bendejo'

HBjet
11-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Mr Bendejo'
:) :) :) :rolleyes:

565edge
11-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Mike that pic is cool as hell i printed it as a picture.That just goes to show that people from different sides of the track can hang and have a good time together.I cant wait till next year we had too much fun this year.I dont think ill be staying at the rio bravo anymore though.That place really sucks now.Call me and let me know about going to the races next weekend.Late
Mr Bendejo'
Hey Danny i thought you were going to bring my lifeline stuff to the last race?Call me.You need to send it to me or bring it to me.1-805-310-1808.Allen

UBFJ #454
11-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Seems as though more than one of us had trouble retrieving loaned gear this year ... Some thing I'll keep in mind next year.

helter skelter
11-15-2004, 01:24 AM
The Forbidden Doughnut crew (both my younger brother and I) had a great time, boat worked well, responded to changes, and performed nicely. Met some nice folks, hung out with the #737 "High Maintenance" crew, whether they liked it or not :smile: , and got to drive my boat, what could be better? The UBFJ 1st place was just a bookend of a great weekend. Best of 8.42 and 123.98, though extremely consistent, I think we can get some more out of her... perhaps unplug the nitrous line on the right side???. Hopefully we'll have the engine for it done in time for next season so the river boat engine can go back in the Six-Oh-Nine where it belongs. And to think that the weekend before we were fishing out of her at El Cap. res. :D
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7506&stc=1

UBFJ #454
11-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Jim -
Congratulations on the Win in UBFJ @ The Nationals ... We thought we had you covered, But ... Guess We Didn't ... Oh Well, That's Racing ... Good Run.
We're All Looking Forward To Next Year ... Jerry Hicks will be back with "Hot Tub" ... We'll be back with 'Ms. MoneyPenny' and the Brenny "Refreshed" and if your in ... that'll make Three For A Paying Class ... Would be nice if we could get a couple more boats in UBFJ so we all could get more laps and give Jerry some Fun Competion.
See Ya Next Year ... Hope all goes well for you and yours through the Winter.
Jak,
Black Bear Racing/"Black Mamba" #454

djdtpr
11-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Hey Danny i thought you were going to bring my lifeline stuff to the last race?Call me.You need to send it to me or bring it to me.1-805-310-1808.Allen
Allen good talking to ya today.Let me know how things turn out with Chris on the stuff for your truck.Ill send ya a pm with both my #'s.I saved the one you gave me on my new phone since the other one went swimming and didnt like it.Later

djdtpr
11-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Seems as though more than one of us had trouble retrieving loaned gear this year ... Some thing I'll keep in mind next year.
No trouble getting loaned gear back.Trouble getting phone # after phone went swimming and he has moved so everyone had the old # he used to have.Sorry to hear your having trouble getting gear back especially since you went out of your way to let people know you had it to loan.congrats on how the boat ran and we will see ya next year.

UBFJ #454
11-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Allen ... Everythings Fine Now.