PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my HTM or keep it?????

htmer
03-01-2002, 07:43 AM
Hey guys..I am debating selling my HTM but am not sure if i want to spend the bucks on making it faster or sell it and get an already build one, no hassle. Anybody have any insite on the future of HTM? I have heard different rumors? Up for sale? Thanks for the advise.

wavejumppin
03-01-2002, 08:29 AM
I have the same debate. I love my SR-24 but when I first built it I didn't give it enough power. This will only be my second season of driving the boat and it's killing me to keep from adding a supercharger. I would have to change heads and everything though, so I would be looking at a pretty expensive build-up. I bet it would be pretty hard to sell a cat if it's not running at least 90. As long as Lia can surround herself with good people I think HTM will stay in the game. I haven't spoken with her personally, but from what I've read some reliable sources have and they say HTM is going to stay in business. What boat would you look at if you sale the HTM?

Craig
03-01-2002, 12:49 PM
If you like the boat and the hull's sound, I'd say, "Keep it." Really how many people go back to the manufactuer after the warranty is up to do power upgrades? There are a lot of good shops out there. As a side note I did try selling my cat when it had stock power in it. Now granted it was an Advantage and not a Daytona, which seems to sell anywhere anyway! But most people ask first, how fast is it? You say 70's, and they were all looking for 80+. Well I can do that now http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif, but I'll hang on to for a while.
Craig

htmer
03-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Yeah I agree.....I just watched the 2001 AZ Hot Boat Poker Run video and got so excited for the season. I am probably going to do what you said in the other forum about the 250 blower and make mine faster. I just need someone who knows thier stuff nd can tell me what and where to go for the best buck. Craig, you and I had the same issue..I want my 73 mph boat to do between 90-95 mph....

htmer
03-01-2002, 01:15 PM
Wavejummpin, i would look for another HTM if I were to sell, or maybe a DCB Mach 26...

Bad Puddy Tat
03-01-2002, 03:31 PM
HTMer
I just finished adding a Stage 3 Procharger to my SS24. Steve and Ken had started the job ...because of the accident I had Jim Wilkes finish it. This guy is top notch and knows his stuff.Took me from 92-93 MPH to 109 GPS verified. I have not opened it up all the way at this point (breakin time) but so far very pleased with the performance.

HTM-NY
03-02-2002, 04:55 PM
It all depends on money and if you like what you got. If you really want different graphics or alot of different options go for new. If you basically like what you have but just want more speed find a motor builder you like and trust and hand him the money.

Infomaniac
03-02-2002, 09:43 PM
htmer: I would sell it and sell it CHEAP !!!
By the way after you take this advise send me an e-mail with the numbers.
Thanks

BADHTMSR24
03-02-2002, 11:30 PM
htmer, i had the same delima.Either sell my boat and buy a different HTM with more power or buy big power.My boat is a 1999 SR24,it came with a 502 mpi it ran around 70 mph.I tried the supercharger thing but it wasnt quite what i wanted, so I went with a LINGENFELTER 605 ci naturally aspirated motor.It makes about 840hp and 800 ft lbs of torque and spins 6900 rpm on the dyno.First time out it ran 96.8 on GPS,second time out i destroyed my bravo one drive.I Purchased a IMCO EXTREME from SNIDER MARINE with a 1.36:1 ratio.The boat now ran 101 mph @4800 rpm with a 4 blade 30 pitch(not labbed yet)BRAVO ONE prop.The boat loved the new added power and came alive at 80 mph and handled like a different boat,ran very straight and very light, needless to say i was really happy with my decision to keep my boat and just change power that way i could see how the boat ran before and after.I will finish dialing it in as soon as the ice melts and it gets warmer.I am hoping to see 104-107mph.I figured it would be easier to buy a new motor than it would be to sell my boat and buy another one.I hope these numbers i gave you will help you decide on what kind of power to go with for the speed you want to acheive.I talked with STEVE and KEN alot when i was doing this and took their advice on some things that proved to be very important.If you have any questions email me at BEAM42@AOL.COM (subject HTM)
Todd

LIQUID THERAPY
03-03-2002, 08:05 PM
HI HTMER I WAS DEBATING THE SAME SITUATION.I OWN A 01 SS24 I SCREWED UP AND PUT A 496 IN IT GOOD FOR 75. STEVE FINIALLY CONVINCED ME TO BUY THE 565 WITH MY 496 HAS TRADE.MY 565 WAS BEING BUILT THEN THE ACCIDENT.I TEST DROVE A LAVEY SABRE,DCB 26,AND DAYTONA 25 NOTHING COMPARED TO MY SS24 AFTER TALKING TO ROY HE REFFERED ME TO TOM AT PRO MARINE.TOM HELPED STEVE DYNO HIS ENGINES WHILE HE WAS OUT AT HAVASU MANY TIMES.HES GOOD PEOPLE HE ALSO OWNED A SS24 HE NOW OWNS A 31 HTM WITH SICK POWER (TWINS) SCARY HA. GIVE HIM A CALL AT PRO MARINE IN LAKE HAVASU FOR ADVICE IT WONT HURT.
HOPE I DONT OFFENED ANYBODY ABOUT THE DCB,LAVEY & DAYTONA I WAS PROBABLY A BIT BIASED GOING IN. I WAS REASSURED HOW AWESOME HTMS ARE. HOPE TO SEE EVERYBODY OUT AT SPRING HEAT WAVE 02 I,LL BE IN THE SS24 NAMED LIQUID THERAPY

Catatonic
03-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Liquid Therapy, it looks like you can probably answer this for me. I am looking to build an SR-24 and have been going through the same power debate. I like the reliability of fuel injection so my initial thought was to build a 496 HO with a Pro Charger. A friend who has a house down the street from ours in Havasu just built one with an un-blown 573ci and loves it. I will be disappointed if I don't get into the low 90's. Did your boat have the 496 or the 496 HO? Do you think if you added a blower that you would have seen 90 mph?

LIQUID THERAPY
03-04-2002, 09:56 AM
CATATONIC I HAD THE HO,BUT I ALSO SPUN A 24 PROP FOR MORE LOW TO GET TO PLAIN.WHILE TESTING WITH STEVE I RAN A 28 AT 83 MPH AT 5000 RPM. IT TOOK THE WHOLE LAKE TO GET THERE (CASTAIC) IT WAS A TOTAL SLUG OUT THE HOLE, MY PROBLEM WAS MY WIFE LIKES TO SKI NOW AND THEN SHE WEIGHS 107 IT WAS HARD TO PULL HER UP AND GET TO PLAIN.I ALSO CONSIDERED THE PRO CHARGER IT SCARED ME WITH THE 496 BEING SO NEW. AFTER MARKET COMPANIES REALLY PUSH TO BE THE FIRST OUT.THEN WE SUFFER WITH TESTING (R&D).ALSO THE 496 HO HAD MANY RECALLS, I THINK IN MAYBE 3 YRS THEY,LL BE ALRIGHT.1 THINK I WOULD HAVE SEEN 90 WITH THE CHARGER BUT REALLY SUFFERED WITH THE HOLESHOT.WITH THE SS & SR PUTTING A 496 IN THERE I DONT THINK U REALLY UTILIZE THE BOAT THE WAY IT SHOULD USED.I LEARNED THE HARD WAY $$$$$$$. STEVE TRIED TALKING ME OUT OF THE 496, MY SS24 WAS THE FIRST ONE HE BUILT WITH THE 496 HE WAS CURIOUS ALSO WITH THE POWER.. GOOD LUCK ANY QUESTIONS U CAN E-MAIL ME AT PGENERIC@AOL.COM

Catatonic
03-04-2002, 10:10 AM
Liquid Therapy, thanks a lot for the info. I will probably have to broaden my focus to include possibly the 500 EFI. I believe I have seen you at the lake a few times, next time I will introduce myself.

bigboy78
03-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Liquid Therapy, I was just wondering if the speed was the only problem that you had with 496 Ho. The reason I ask is because the boat I ordered is coming with one. When I ordered it I knew I would never be the fastest boat on the water and the next step up was 10K more so I just settled. So does it really feel like a dog or are you just use to going 100mph.

BoatFloating
03-04-2002, 09:21 PM
Catatonic, I have a Carrera cat with the 496 HO. This off season I put in the Procharger 3lbs and picked up 20mph on GPS. The recalls they had on the 496 were minor things like making sure fuel rail was pushed all the way in and motor not shutting off when key was turned off. I had no problems with either one.The guys at Procharger have been great, they came out with the 3lb system because it was such a new motor and didn't want to hurt them. The gains are great for that amount of boost. They will have a 5lb system out this year for it and I could see another 8-10mph out of that if I decided to go that route. It's a easy upgrade pully change and fuel system upgrade. I think by far the cheapest way to gain 20mph a little over 4K and installed myself.
BF.....

LIQUID THERAPY
03-05-2002, 12:53 AM
BIGBOY MY PROBLEM WAS MOSTLY WITH TOP SPEED.I SHOULD CLARIFY I HAD ONE OF THE FIRST 496 HO OUT AND THERE WERE RECALLS ON CERTAIN SERIAL #S AND NOT ON OTHERS BESIDES THE FUEL RAIL AND THE MOTOR NOT SHUTTING OFF AGAIN I NEVER TRIED THE PROCHARGER, I PERSONALLY FELT LIKE IT NEEDED MORE TIME. I DO KNOW SOME AFTER MARKET COMPANIES GET ENGINES BEFORE THERE RELEASED TO WORK ON HOP UP ACC.PROCHARGER COULD OF BEEN ONE I KNOW WHIPPLE HAS ONE OUT OR JUST ABOUT READY TOO RELEASE IT.BACK TO POWER I PERSONALLY WANT THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS LOW END AND BIG SPEED 90 PLUS IM ALSO ONE OF THOSE GUYS THAT ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING THINGS.I HAVE A FEW FRIENDS WITH 496 HO IN THERE HTMS AND ARE VERY HAPPY JUST DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS. I APOLOGIZE IF I MADE IT SOUND LIKE THE BOAT WAS WORHTLESS WITH THE 496 FAR FROM IT (I JUST WANT MORE)HAPPY BOATING

LIQUID THERAPY
03-05-2002, 01:01 AM
CATATONIC YOU SAID U HAVE A PLACE IN HAVASU.I ALSO HAVE A SECOND HOME THERE I GO OUT EVERY 2 WEEKS FOR 5 DAYS ALL YEAR LONG. IF U SEE ME THERE INTRODUCE YOURSELF ILL BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO TAKE U FOR A SPIN.MAY HELP U DECIDE WHAT POWER U WANT FOR YOUR SR ONE OF MY FRIENDS WITH THE 496 IS ALWAYS OUT THERE WERE ALL GEARING UP FOR SPRING HEAT WAVE.

bigboy78
03-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Liquid Therapy thank you very much for the info.