PDA

View Full Version : Bad Turbulance

Her454
11-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Scares the holy hell out of me. I just flew in from Phoenix last night and it was the worst flight of my life. I really thought the plane was in trouble there for more than just a few moments. Pilot came on and said that he was sorry for the rough ride, and didnt anticipate it getting any better before we landed and in fact it was going to get worse. Flight attendants were told to sit back down, stop serving drinks and buckle up. Then one of the flight attendants told us to hold on to our drinks as best we could! Two of the baggage compartments came open and stuff was flying everywhere. I dont normally scare easily and flying does not bother me, but I honestly cant remember the last time I was that scared. :frown:
Whats the worst/scariest flight you've ever been on? :2purples:

Racer277
11-08-2004, 10:26 AM
I hear you on that!
I've had a couple miserable flights out of Phoenix, mostly in the summer though. You got the storms on that flight!
During the summer months the thermals can really do a job.
Last year they cancelled our flight out of New York because of one of the big Florida storms, I was actually relieved to wait it out two extra days.

Sleek-Jet
11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
It's all PHX ATC's fault. :D

Racer277
11-08-2004, 10:29 AM
I'd been meaning to talk to him about that, but fortunately I don't fly as much anymore.... :D

Jordy
11-08-2004, 10:33 AM
You were in Phoenix??? WTF???? Thanks for the phone call... :hammer2:

Her454
11-08-2004, 10:34 AM
You were in Phoenix??? WTF???? Thanks for the phone call... :hammer2:
Uhhhhhhhh check your phone MESSAGES. And RRL Mod forum........ ;)

Her454
11-08-2004, 10:35 AM
..............and the worst part was I so damn scared I thought the hell with this...Im going to get two of those damn 5$ beers at ONCE as soon as she gets to me...................NOT. I had to do it sober too............. :jawdrop: :)

MsDrmr
11-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry you had to go through that. I have been in those flights and they are frightening,,,glad your home safe

Jordy
11-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Uhhhhhhhh check your phone MESSAGES. And RRL Mod forum........ ;)
I was in the mod forum on Saturday night when I got home, and then again yesterday... nada. Phone messages? Nada... When did you call? I was in phone range from Saturday around 3:00 and for the rest of the weekend. :wink:
OK, I stand corrected. I had two messages from Friday afternoon that I never got... dammit. I just sat around the house and did nothing all day yesterday too... for **** sakes... :( :( :(

Krumbsnatcher
11-08-2004, 10:44 AM
I was in the mod forum on Saturday night when I got home, and then again yesterday... nada. Phone messages? Nada... When did you call? I was in phone range from Saturday around 3:00 and for the rest of the weekend. :wink:
OK, I stand corrected. I had two messages from Friday afternoon that I never got... dammit. I just sat around the house and did nothing all day yesterday too... for **** sakes... :( :( :(
Left Vegas Last Night and we had the same bumpy ride, it scared the hell out of a lot of people.

Jordy
11-08-2004, 10:46 AM
I flew to Vegas on Wednesday, pretty smooth flight. Left Vegas on Thursday, not bad. Flew to San Diego on Friday, couple little bumps here and there. Flew home on Saturday and got banged around pretty good...
3 states and 2 countries from Wednesday to Saturday last week. No wonder I'm kind of beat today. I need a vacation. :D :D :D

topless
11-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Turbulence scares the crap out of me but the worst flight experience was when I was comeing home from Texas and we were landing, touched down and the pilot took the plane up very quickly! I think maybe another plane was already using that runway. We circled the airport for about 10 minutes before landing again and the guy next to me decided it was a good time to tell his story of the crash landing he was in a few years before. :rolleyes:

Blown 472
11-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Turbulence scares the crap out of me but the worst flight experience was when I was comeing home from Texas and we were landing, touched down and the pilot took the plane up very quickly! I think maybe another plane was already using that runway. We circled the airport for about 10 minutes before landing again and the guy next to me decided it was a good time to tell his story of the crash landing he was in a few years before. :rolleyes:
You light weights, I was on a plane up near the st lawerence sea way that when we took of the wind was so bad I had all I could do to walk into it. The plane was banging and going up and down and making all kinds of noise.

Rexone
11-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Flew out of Eugene OR several years ago on a 737 in a storm, wings were flapping like a segull chasin a fishin boat. It was night and you could see them in the lights and nothing but clouds and rain n shit. My palms were a little sweaty on that one.

JustMVG
11-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Try Flying in and out of Maui for a year the afternoon winds can make it hard to see let alone fly, add in the sometimes torrential downpour with a crappy ILS system and you have the makings of MANY stories.
Or Try to show tourists the island, and have them compliain afterwards that the once in a lifetime picture they took is ruined because of the bumpy flight, like i control the weather.... glad i am not doing any of that Crap anymore.... MVG

Phat Matt
11-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I flew in to Portland once in bad weather...well more than once, it's Portland, anyway it was cloudy and rainy and when we landed we hit the runway so hard it jolted everybody around. Then the plane stopped and lost power. They had to pull us in from the runway and we sat on the plane for about an hour before we could get off.
Good times. :rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
11-08-2004, 12:36 PM
hate flyin to phoenix, always sucks

ROZ
11-08-2004, 12:45 PM
I ate 2 carne asada burritos, a bean and cheese burrito, and an extra side of beans last night. As a result, this morning I had bad turbulence ... :D

kidstuf
11-08-2004, 01:48 PM
i've been in a crash landing in a private airplane... had to land w/out landing gear... not fun... i still get a little freaked out when flying :frown:

PHX ATC
11-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Er..........thank you, thank you very much.
I think. :D
You do know the air traffic controllers motto, don't you?
"We're not happy until you're not happy!"

PHX ATC
11-08-2004, 01:58 PM
I flew to Vegas on Wednesday, pretty smooth flight. Left Vegas on Thursday, not bad. Flew to San Diego on Friday, couple little bumps here and there. Flew home on Saturday and got banged around pretty good...
3 states and 2 countries from Wednesday to Saturday last week. No wonder I'm kind of beat today. I need a vacation. :D :D :D
Jordy's VISA always goes through without a hitch.
Hence, the smooooooooooth ride. :D

Ziggy
11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
I ate 2 carne asada burritos, a bean and cheese burrito, and an extra side of beans last night. As a result, this morning I had bad turbulence ... :D
See, you should have gotten Hilberto's instead of Eribertos.....I personally liked Oscars(think that was the name) right there on RSF just past Grand :D :D
I like flights that have life. Who can sit hours on end in a boring plane next to some fat guy who can barely breathe??...put a few roller coaster drops in the flight and liven it up. Had one returning to LA from MAui a few years ago during some heavy Santa Ana's...the landing was fun and all onboard clapped after touching down...kinda funny I thought :rolleyes:

Racer277
11-08-2004, 05:11 PM
You do know the air traffic controllers motto, don't you?
"We're not happy until you're not happy!"
LMAO :D :D :D

billet racing
11-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Flight into Houston, had such wind sheer, He was flying like a Dirt tracker, tail swinging from side to side, We could look out the window and see straight down the runway, then same out of other window. Eventually hw powered up and said" Lets make another attempt at this from a different runway"

Mrs. Psycho Squid
11-08-2004, 05:36 PM
I was coming home from Maui by myself at 16. The plane started down the runway, but then didn't take off (The plane made alot of noise, but never really got up to any type of speed). So we went back down the runway the other way and the Captain came on and said they were having a few minor problems.... :2purples: So we sat for about an hour and went for a second try, same thing! SO... we sat for another hour and tried again. Well, third time was a charm, but about 1 hour into the flight something happened to the air conditioning. It must have been 130 in that stupid plane! Well, about another hour goes by and something is making a horrible noise! I think it was an engine. The captain came on and said they were having "glitches" and asked us to buckle our seatbelts and stay seated for the rest of the flight. All the attendents were buckled the rest of the time too. We landed ok, but that was probably the happiest moment of my life when I saw my parents! I was convinced that I wasn't going to make it.

spectratoad
11-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Just think how good those beers are going to taste at home then. You should have some jello-shots in your bag. :p

Dr. Eagle
11-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Lets see, there've been a few:
1. On a TWA L1011 out of Boston on a red eye and climbed to about 30000 ft. when the starboard engine lost the engine disk. Loud bang, airplane shuddered, saw a flash and what looked like a solid rocket booster strapped to the wing instead of an engine.
2. Flying to Burbank from Sacto in a Santa Ana wind and thought the plane was going to break in two. Pilot had to make three attempts on the north/south runway and finally landed on the east/west runway.
3. Flying on a 727 from Washington DC into Denver to make a connection to Sacramento and was listening to Air Traffic Control when the controller started asking the captain how many souls were aboard and do you wish to declare an emergency. Turned out there was a indicator showing the leading edge slats had deployed while we were at cruise altitude and speed.
4. Flying from Hawaii to San Francisco, again listening to ATC had climbed in the DC10 to about 35,000 feet when the captain requested 38,000 ft. The ATC asked "aren't you a little heavy for that right now"? Meaning we hadn't burned enough fuel. The Captain said "the computer says we can do it" and he was cleared. Shortly after the engines spooled up and the angle increased and suddenly there was a very pronounced shudder or buffet meaning the wing was about to stall. So the Captain called ATC and told them we couldn't climb and the ATC controller politely said "told you"...
Those are a few, I'll remember more later I am sure...

JustMVG
11-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Try Flying in and out of Maui for a year the afternoon winds can make it hard to see let alone fly, add in the sometimes torrential downpour with a crappy ILS system and you have the makings of MANY stories.
Or Try to show tourists the island, and have them compliain afterwards that the once in a lifetime picture they took is ruined because of the bumpy flight, like i control the weather.... glad i am not doing any of that Crap anymore.... MVG
Did i mention i was PIC at that time, nothing better than dealing with crappy weather and sick scared out of their wits Pax, do i miss flying hell yeah do i miss the Pax and the related BS, not really, sorry to hear about everyone elses experiences, Dr. Eagle i have been the victim of the Santa Ana BUR switch too, it's great landing on runway 6 w a killer crosswind in a Lear. Ahh my good ole days. MVG

Infomaniac
11-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Turbulence is only bad on the passengers.
The plane can handle it no problem. The pilot slows down a bit so you do not knock yourself out on the PSU panel above your head. :smile:

Sleek-Jet
11-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Lets see, there've been a few:
3. Flying on a 727 from Washington DC into Denver to make a connection to Sacramento and was listening to Air Traffic Control when the controller started asking the captain how many souls were aboard and do you wish to declare an emergency. Turned out there was a indicator showing the leading edge slats had deployed while we were at cruise altitude and speed.
Those are a few, I'll remember more later I am sure...
That's bad Mojo it a 727. A crew (Eastern I think, so that tells you how long ago it was) got caught doing that little trick trying to speed up the last leg of the day. Ripped off a Leading Edge Devise and just about lost the ship.
I've got plenty of tubulence stories... most can be summed up in a couple words.... Mountain Wave.

Dr. Eagle
11-08-2004, 06:12 PM
The plane can handle it no problem. The pilot slows down a bit so you do not knock yourself out on the PSU panel above your head. :smile:
I know the plane can handle most turbulence, but the MD80 looked like I was looking down the inside of a slinky. And the MD80 has had fuselage failures before, both while landing... but the stresses were pretty extreme on the aircraft... I was just a little nervous. The lady in front of me was about to swallow her tongue... :sqeyes:

Infomaniac
11-08-2004, 06:16 PM
That's bad Mojo it a 727. A crew (Eastern I think, so that tells you how long ago it was) got caught doing that little trick trying to speed up the last leg of the day. Ripped off a Leading Edge Devise and just about lost the ship.
I've got plenty of tubulence stories... most can be summed up in a couple words.... Mountain Wave.
Let me guess. A few degrees of slat and pull the breaker. :rollside: :rollside:
Flight engineer comes back from a potty break, sees the breaker out and instinctively pushes it back in.
I hate it when that happens.
It's amazing how a little more lift can get you into the thinner less fuel consuming air.

JustMVG
11-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Yup that was the trick, got few more knots but if they didn't deploy just right you gots trouble, and thats what those guys got, suspension and fired i believe, does not look good on the resume', alot of the Cargo guys for FEDEX were doing for awhile.

Sleek-Jet
11-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Let me guess. A few degrees od slat and pull the breaker. :rollside: :rollside:
Flight engineer comes back from a potty break, sees the breaker out and instinctively pushes it back in.
I hate it whan that happens.
-or-
How to make your 727 supersonic. :crossx:
Yeah that's the one, and don't forget to erase the CVR when you get to the gate.

JustMVG
11-08-2004, 06:21 PM
-or-
How to make your 727 supersonic. :crossx:
Yeah that's the one, and don't forget to erase the CVR when you get to the gate.
Oh yeah that silly little detail, or write it up on the Squawk Sheet give to MX.

Dr. Eagle
11-08-2004, 06:22 PM
They had a second flight engineer in the jump seat and I talked to him following the flight. The slat was never deployed, it would have been ripped off at the speed we were flying... it was an indicator problem. They took the plane out of service in Denver after giving us an emergency clearance...

switchin'addiction
11-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Took a quick flight from St. Thomas to St. Croix about 3 yrs ago for the beginning of a 4 week getaway. This was the end of along day of flying from Missouri to Dallas, Dallas to Puerto Rico (another story), Puerto Rico to St. Thomas, and then finally St. Thomas to St. Croix. Yes there were numerous layovers, yes I spent every layover in the bar thank God because that made me the only passenger that probably had more to drink than our pilot. Long story short.....2 attempts at landing (what I like to call the one wheel hop) that were aborted, 3rd attempt managed to actually land the plane with tires screeching, & passengers screaming. My friends waiting at the gate witnessed the entire episode & said "Aren't you glad we told you to get hammered before the flight over from St. Thomas. Scary as shit when it is the last flight of the day". Yes they are locals so obviously they knew something I didn't.

JustMVG
11-09-2004, 02:08 AM
It's Called proficiency check they were just doing touch and Go's :squiggle: , just kidding but thats stinks last flight of the day aside, get the damn thing on the runway, or maybe ATC was just in the mood for "Go Around Goaround" :D MVG
Maybe one of the guys was a maintenance guy and wanted to see if the Emergency brakes really did work!!!

JustMVG
11-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Ever see the tip of a Lear twist? not pretty sight turbulance is not the Lears friend, and especially on landing you can scrape one of those tips pretty easy, you learn alot flying Lears, want to se scared faces, let the Mach speed warning horn go off and watch the pilots sweat,sure pull back the throttles and still the Aircraft wants to Tuck and roll oh yeah fun times for all.

Sleek-Jet
11-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Ever see the tip of a Lear twist? not pretty sight turbulance is not the Lears friend, and especially on landing you can scrape one of those tips pretty easy, you learn alot flying Lears, want to se scared faces, let the Mach speed warning horn go off and watch the pilots sweat,sure pull back the throttles and still the Aircraft wants to Tuck and roll oh yeah fun times for all.
Twisty wings and tip tanks, I'd still take a 24F anyday. Lot's of noise and lot's of gas, but man what a little hot rod.... :D

JustMVG
11-09-2004, 05:31 AM
You got that right , unless you can get your paws on a nice G-II w the Tays or the G-III power to weight on those things was awesome, although i did prefer the L24-D that too was a rocket, unfortunatly i lost three friends when one of them crashed just after take off @ SFO, Batt box exploded, tore the tail to pieces they never had a chance.... i miss those guys, just had the anniv. of the crash last month..... and yes Sleek we have to commit aviation one of these days.... MVG