PDA

View Full Version : Need a LAN expert

JustMVG
11-08-2004, 06:02 PM
I want to set up my home system so that the wife can , using the wireless system that came with our DSL so that she can send print requests to the den and have them printed up. We have the 2wire from SBC setup, is it possible to do what i want using that sys.?
Thanks MVG

mike37
11-08-2004, 06:30 PM
you need to set the printer to be shared on the PC the its hooked to and name it
go on the second PC
then go to the add printer in the control panel click find printer it should show up then add it to the printers

MrsJetDriver
11-08-2004, 07:11 PM
My husband knows how to do this, he just did the sbc two wire for his mom. Send him a pm and he'll help you. :)

JetBoatRich
11-08-2004, 07:51 PM
you need to set the printer to be shared on the PC the its hooked to and name it
go on the second PC
then go to the add printer in the control panel click find printer it should show up then add it to the printers
This is one way to share the printer :idea: which requires you to have the main computer on to share the printer.
Buy a print sharing box, which wireless is available and makes it easier to share.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-08-2004, 08:28 PM
YGPM MandMVG
Those instructions should work providing your wireless system is set up as a conventional network. I'll look into it a bit more.

Raisin Wake
11-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Mike's way is how I have mine setup. Works fine. However, Rich is correct. You will need to have the computer on all the time for the printer to work. Your best bet is to buy a wireless print server. Just plugs into the printer and your all set.
This is a great one: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=37&prid=440

Boozer
11-08-2004, 09:23 PM
If you buy the wireless print share box and need some help with it let me know and I'd be happy to shoot over to your place and set it up for you.

JustMVG
11-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Thank Boozer if i caint git her to work i just might have you come over, tell me what your like to have cold in the fridge in a pm and it'll be there plus it would give us some time to talk... Thanks Mike

JustMVG
11-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Well i have gone thru the motions as set forth by everyone , i did however forget to mention that my wifes computer the one that had the monitor take a dump had the printer hooked up to it, we took it off and hooked it up to my computer, now the main wireless connection is my computer where the printer is located, do i have to uninstall the printer drivers from the wifes machine, have her computer "look" for the printer and then go from there, or just bribe Boozer to come over??? :D Thanks folks MikeVG
Uh did i mention it's an all-in-one HP7110 does that help at all?

mike37
11-09-2004, 07:18 PM
I think I left out a step after clicking on add printer
it will ask you if its a local printer or network
you need to mark the network printer buton

Boozer
11-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Well i have gone thru the motions as set forth by everyone , i did however forget to mention that my wifes computer the one that had the monitor take a dump had the printer hooked up to it, we took it off and hooked it up to my computer, now the main wireless connection is my computer where the printer is located, do i have to uninstall the printer drivers from the wifes machine, have her computer "look" for the printer and then go from there, or just bribe Boozer to come over??? :D Thanks folks MikeVG
Uh did i mention it's an all-in-one HP7110 does that help at all?
Any luck yet?

JustMVG
11-11-2004, 01:47 AM
I want to say Yes!!! Got it working, a BIG Thanks to everyone, and an even Bigger Thanks to the JetDrivers Mr. and Mrs.
Shawn you were a big help and i appreciate you taking the time out of a busy day to help me out. Hope to meet up with you guys some day soon, i might even get out to a Posse event, it would be worth the drive from Fontucky out to Pyramid or even BV.
And Thanks to Racer277 and Boozer for their input too.
Mike VG