PDA

View Full Version : No-see-umÂ’S

surfer2001
11-08-2004, 08:03 PM
WhatÂ’s been your experience? I got bit last weekend, WOW my hand swelled up big. I did not know they live on the Parker Strip.

boatnam2
11-08-2004, 08:06 PM
i will bite what is a no-see-ums.

mbrown2
11-08-2004, 08:10 PM
It is a bug you can't see...
Surfer...about every 3rd trip, I seem to get bit, and I swell up in the area of the bite...I used to get worried...now I just take Benedryl and deal with it....No No-SeUm's are gonna ruin my trip...also try to use off or skin so soft, but its hard to remember when you are drunk ;)

boatnam2
11-08-2004, 08:22 PM
hmmmmmmmmm never been bit.guess im lucky.i usally get bit by the parker hung over bug that can cause swelling also but normally just gives you a headache and you feel shiitty.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-08-2004, 08:39 PM
It is a bug you can't see...
Like the Flu?
Seriously.. Never heard of em.

mbrown2
11-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Like the Flu?
Seriously.. Never heard of em.
No, like an actual insect you cannot see....probably a mosquito of some sort...but everyone up there calls them N0-See-ums, since you never see them..

6 Dollar Boat
11-08-2004, 08:50 PM
No, like an actual insect you cannot see....probably a mosquito of some sort...but everyone up there calls them N0-See-ums, since you never see them..
Another reason to stay away from Parker... :devil: :rollside:

CEO
11-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Good explaination. I didn't have a clue about those things. Are they in Havasu, I never heard of them before

boatnam2
11-08-2004, 08:52 PM
i hate those friggin huge flying wasp looking things.

Back Forty
11-08-2004, 08:54 PM
No see ums... Florida has em. Blood sucking little bastards. They don't bother the locals. The snow birds are fresh meat however.. :jawdrop:

JetBoatRich
11-08-2004, 08:58 PM
i will bite what is a no-see-ums.
they run in invisible mode :cool:
Never heard of them :confused:

uvindex
11-08-2004, 09:06 PM
From http://pelotes.jea.com/AnimalFact/Arthropod/NOSEEUM.htm: WHAT IS A NO-SEE-UM? No-see-ums are tiny biting flies that often live near water. You often see many of them swarming together in a cloud. Keep your mouth shut or you might breathe some in or swallow them! (It won’t hurt you, but it will probably make you cough.) Biting midges are called no-see-ums because they’re so tiny that it is hard to see ‘um. No-see-ums are less than ¼ of an inch long.
I've encountered them in Mississippi. They're like these tiny gnats that get on your arms and bite you. The bites don't really hurt so much as itch. They drive you crazy and make it impossible to enjoy being outside unless you have bug repellent on.
You'll hear the term used a lot in camping to describe "noseeum screen" which means the mesh is fine enough to keep the little bastards out of your tent. :)
Never saw them in Parker (not saying they're not there, though). Surfer2001, are you sure it wasn't a mosquito that bit you and made your hand swell up? They can bite you without your knowing it, you know, and Parker definitely has skeeters. :)

mbrown2
11-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Another reason to stay away from Parker... :devil: :rollside:
Exactly, all you freaks stay north of the dam, and I will deal with the No-Se-Ums... :p :lightsabe :D

mbrown2
11-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Near the water in Parker, you get a ton of knats(sp?)...during different times of year, Spring and Fall...and after rain storms...they seem to not be there as much when it is too hot, or too cold...I am thinking when I get bit it is either mosquitos or spiders... :confused: who knows...