PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pans

Jeff
03-19-2001, 04:00 AM
Does anyone know if their is a real differance between a automotive oil pan and a quote marine pan. I can understand a differance in a V_Drive application. Other then physical size and depth. I have seen pans that look the same just a windage try, one was auto, one was marine. Same manufacture. The only differance I noticed was price, marine was alot higher why?? Just currious what everone is using. I realize you can get trick pans with dual trap doors and knock outs for increased stroke and all. Both for automotive and marine. But my basic question is what is the differance between the two.
Jeff

moomba
03-19-2001, 04:57 AM
I have read that the marine oil pan have different baffles.

Kanookstr
03-19-2001, 03:50 PM
The marine oil pans are heavyier duty, most of the time they are aluminum.
sometimes the auto motive ones will Crack from the sevier pounding they take in a boat.
thus dumping your oil in the bilge, and before you know it your engine starved for oil. a good racing one with baffles can take the pounding.

440jetster
03-21-2001, 02:37 PM
I just went through this delema myself. I found that the marine pan advantage was in capacity and baffeling. The oil pick-ups are larger and less restictive and the baffles are made to keep the oil in the pan on hard accereration and in steep turns. A car revs up to 3000-4000 rpms and comes back down, but a boat engine revs up and stays for long periods of time, thus keeping several quarts inside the engine, then you whip a hard turn and bang! you pull air! I'm using a Milodon 12qt racing pan/ with baffles and windage. I saved about $150.00 over the marine pan. The key is capacity and application. Is the savings worth sitting it out all summer with a blown engine?

Jeff
03-22-2001, 04:05 AM
I agree with the extra capacity, heavyer gage and baffleing, but I have noticed that some drag pans for cars have more baffleing and features then some of the higher $$ quote marine pans. I ended going with the Milodon 31556 marine pan. So we will see how it works. I just noticed in this ordeal that not all marine pans are equall. Some automotive pans are designed better for less money then some of the marine pans out their. Buyer be ware as usuall.
Jeff