PDA

View Full Version : Proud father

Desert Rat
11-09-2004, 07:22 AM
This year my son took on the task of fundraiser for Cal State Northridge. It is a competition in the Greek community (Frat's and Sorority) called Derby Days. Long story short he comes up with ideas to get all the houses to try and raise money for ChildrenÂ’s Hospital and the ChildrenÂ’s Miracle network (His charity choice's). He went to local business to get them donate for an auction he even got a few jewelry stores to donate jewelry. During this time all the sororities are trying to win points from him for first place and bragging rights to the best house etc. The last time this was done (every two years) they raised approx $4000. This year they raised $11,000!!! He told them that if they reached the $10,000 mark he would shave his headÂ…Funny he used to cry when I had that done to him as a kid. The children of ChildrenÂ’s hospital asked if they could do the clipper honors so next week he gets his head shaved! IÂ’m one pretty proud Dad. It makes you feel pretty damn good when your children do something like this. The wife and I must have done something right! This was the best sorority costume winner. Please no Raider or Laker wise cracks. I think I would be pretty happy to be in the middle of that too if I was (quite) a few years younger. Just wanted to share my happiness.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/881raiders_girls.jpg

ahhell
11-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Congrats to you and your son...
Hell id shave my head just to stand in that pic... :devil:

MsDrmr
11-09-2004, 07:26 AM
well, you definitly did something right.....I know thats a great feeling, congrats on the wonderful man you and the mrs have worked so hard to raise....He has done a wonderful thing and you should be very proud

Keithb87
11-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Congrats to him for his achievement... Oh and the 11,000 dollars too :D :D

spectratoad
11-09-2004, 07:31 AM
Right on. It has to be good to see what your kids can achieve. And yes I would shave my head too to be in the middle of that.

Tom Brown
11-09-2004, 07:33 AM
I'm happy for your son but I feel like that guy in the upper right. It's not that I'm not happy for him but I know I could never get that kind of action.

JetBoatRich
11-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Congratulations to your Son Paul, you should be proud :cool:

ChumpChange
11-09-2004, 07:40 AM
I take it that your son is a Sigma Chi?

LVJAKAZ
11-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Good job!!!! You raised a great kid :)

Desert Rat
11-09-2004, 08:25 AM
I take it that your son is a Sigma Chi?
Yeah Sigma Chi Zeti Xi chapter. You familiar with them? I wasn't to sure I even wanted him to join a frat when he went to school buy I must say that his frat does quite a bit of good for the community (when they aren't getting blasted that is:D )

bunny 166
11-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Way to go Dad!! Good kid ya got there! And judging by the photo, the right balance of good deeds and good fun!! :D :D

ChumpChange
11-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah Sigma Chi Zeti Xi chapter. You familiar with them? I wasn't to sure I even wanted him to join a frat when he went to school buy I must say that his frat does quite a bit of good for the community (when they aren't getting blasted that is:D )
I have a lot of freinds that are Sigma Chi's and I have participated in Derby Days through my fraternity Sigma Phi Epsilon (SigEp) at Cal Poly Pomona. My parents weren't too thrilled at the beginning as well but fortunately, we encourage all of our members to participate in philanthropic events to give back to the community.
Unfortunately, only the stories of us getting blasted and hazing make the news. I personally might have dropped out of school due to boredom if I hadn't joined.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
11-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Nicely done. You can be proud of yourself too!
I judge a man by the company he keeps@!!!!! :)

Kilrtoy
11-09-2004, 10:02 AM
That is awesome , you have every right to be proud. I would love to be at that raiders gathering especially the one on the far right in the daisy dukes

Desert Rat
11-09-2004, 11:36 AM
I have a lot of freinds that are Sigma Chi's and I have participated in Derby Days through my fraternity Sigma Phi Epsilon (SigEp) at Cal Poly Pomona. My parents weren't too thrilled at the beginning as well but fortunately, we encourage all of our members to participate in philanthropic events to give back to the community.
Unfortunately, only the stories of us getting blasted and hazing make the news. I personally might have dropped out of school due to boredom if I hadn't joined.
I have to say that every "brother" that he has brought home has been a very nice and polite young men. He has made a few friends for life and we have even pretty much adopted one of his brothers. I don't think they party any harder than I did when I was that age it's just that I was doing it in thr far east :devil: and not under any watchful eyes. I agree, the "give back to the community" is a very important theme at his frat. Thanks for everybodys comments. Yep I'm proud!

fourspeednup
11-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Congratulations are in order...but can you get him to pay a visit to the ASU sigma chi guys? My buddy got roofied at one of their paries...guess they thought HE was a hottie :hammerhea
Northridge has a real good Greek system, I have many friends involved there...all stand up people :)