PDA

View Full Version : Habitat for humanity and simlar orgs.

YeLLowBoaT
04-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Any 1 ever have any dealings with them? I am thinking about donating some time( tax right off.) and or material. Just wanted to see if any 1 has any feed back on the subject.

Her454
04-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Save your money for the machine shop ;) :rollside:
And Happy Easter................... hope your Easter Eggs stay dry LOL...........

mickeyfinn
04-16-2006, 03:43 AM
I know people who have received assistance from these programs and they don't seem to do a good job of filtering who they give your hard earned money or labor to. I agree with either saving it for the machine shop or find a charity who will donate to a specific cause or family that you would like to help. If you are donating enough to make a real difference in your taxes, skip the tax break and just donate the money directly to a needy family you know through the church or something. This skips the administrative cost and lets you know exactly where your money went.

Quality Time
04-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Another organization is Paint Your Heart Out. Paint low-income, elderly folks homes. The materials are donated by various companies and sponsors, but the labor is provided by volunteers like me :rollside:
There are national volunteer organizations. I met a few people from one yesterday at a Special Olympics event here in OC. They should be able to tell you what is out there and reputable. I think they said it was the National Volunteer League.
Best of Luck!

Big Bear
04-16-2006, 08:59 AM
We just replaced all the original appliances in our kitchen (new in early 2000) with upgraded stainless. I have all the originals in the garage and plan on calling H for H to donate them for the tax write off. Any ideas for a better place to donate to???

YeLLowBoaT
04-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Another organization is Paint Your Heart Out. Paint low-income, elderly folks homes. The materials are donated by various companies and sponsors, but the labor is provided by volunteers like me :rollside:
I'll have to look into that one since I am a basicly a painter.( I am just good at other things) Thanks

YeLLowBoaT
04-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Save your money for the machine shop ;) :rollside:
And Happy Easter................... hope your Easter Eggs stay dry LOL...........
They got the money sat, my valves final came in... I'm start asymble today....
You just had to ginks it didn't you... its been pooring.