PDA

View Full Version : Childhood Christmas Memories

Her454
11-09-2004, 03:42 PM
I grew up in a family of 6. 3 boys and 3 girls and there was always alot of family around. Christmas were no exception. My parents certainly were not made of money but they always managed to make sure we had the best christmas ever! Or at least in my mind, and I guess thats what counts. My mom was big on Christmas and we went all out. Decorations everywhere, no matter what dad said. What I remember most are not the gifts but the ugly tree that we had EVERY single year in our living room that I thought was the most beautiful tree in the entire world. Up until I recently came across a picture of it in the family album.
It was actually a metal tree. One that had to be put together with every branch having its own slot. The only way to describe it is to say the branches looked like the fringe you'd see on a leather jacket but in silver metal form. Ugly, trust me. But I couldnt wait to decorate it every year and plug the light in that would shine on it and turn it 4 different colors while making a humming sound as if the motor were on its last christmas. It was 4 beautifully monotonous colors of red, orange, blue and green. I dont know where that tree ended up but in my later years we switched over to the real thing, much to my dads dismay. He was the original grinch when it came to Christmas and couldnÂ’t imagine actually "paying" for a tree that would die - or worse yet, be a fire hazard. And I can remember some gorgeous trees in our house in those later years too but its funny how my mind takes me back to the Christmas mornings that make me smile the most and I remember that ugly silver tree and when Christmas's were slim.
My daughter has always had far more extravagant christmas's than I ever had and I am just like my mother when it comes to decorating, cooking and going all out. Im wondering what part of her christmas's she will remember with a smile when she has kids of her own.
What part of your childhood christmas has the strongest tug on your heart?

topless
11-09-2004, 03:50 PM
What I remember most is every single year I would open my presents early and wrap them back up. Every year I got caught too so thye called me snoopy and one year thats all I got. Snoopy shirt, snoopy earings, Snoopy piggy bank. Anything they could find with Snoopy on it I got. :D We had a large family as well and my brother liked to play Santa. He wasn't very good but it was funny to see him use masking tape to tape a white dish towel on his face as the beard. :D

Her454
11-09-2004, 03:57 PM
What I remember most is every single year I would open my presents early and wrap them back up. Every year I got caught too so thye called me snoopy and one year thats all I got. Snoopy shirt, snoopy earings, Snoopy piggy bank. Anything they could find with Snoopy on it I got. :D We had a large family as well and my brother liked to play Santa. He wasn't very good but it was funny to see him use masking tape to tape a white dish towel on his face as the beard. :D
ROTFLMAO! :D :D

HCS
11-09-2004, 04:12 PM
My favorite child hood memories.
When my buddies and I would all meet up Christmas day and burn a big fat joint. Usually around about 12 noon. Then you could relate with all the family. It always put a nice curve on the day.
Aaaaawww.......the good old days.

CEO
11-09-2004, 05:17 PM
I grew up in a family of 6. 3 boys and 3 girls and there was always alot of family around. Christmas were no exception. My parents certainly were not made of money but they always managed to make sure we had the best christmas ever! Or at least in my mind, and I guess thats what counts. My mom was big on Christmas and we went all out. Decorations everywhere, no matter what dad said. What I remember most are not the gifts but the ugly tree that we had EVERY single year in our living room that I thought was the most beautiful tree in the entire world. Up until I recently came across a picture of it in the family album.
It was actually a metal tree. One that had to be put together with every branch having its own slot. The only way to describe it is to say the branches looked like the fringe you'd see on a leather jacket but in silver metal form. Ugly, trust me. But I couldnt wait to decorate it every year and plug the light in that would shine on it and turn it 4 different colors while making a humming sound as if the motor were on its last christmas. It was 4 beautifully monotonous colors of red, orange, blue and green. I dont know where that tree ended up but in my later years we switched over to the real thing, much to my dads dismay. He was the original grinch when it came to Christmas and couldnÂ’t imagine actually "paying" for a tree that would die - or worse yet, be a fire hazard. And I can remember some gorgeous trees in our house in those later years too but its funny how my mind takes me back to the Christmas mornings that make me smile the most and I remember that ugly silver tree and when Christmas's were slim.
My daughter has always had far more extravagant christmas's than I ever had and I am just like my mother when it comes to decorating, cooking and going all out. Im wondering what part of her christmas's she will remember with a smile when she has kids of her own.
What part of your childhood christmas has the strongest tug on your heart?
We had one of those X-Mas trees also, I hated it. But we couldn't afford a real one.