PDA

View Full Version : Computer troubleshooting ... help please?

FMluvswater
11-09-2004, 04:25 PM
I ran Ad-Aware and it found a whole slew of trojans and recommended I run my AVG. So I did that. AVG is up to date but not finding the trojans that Ad-Aware claims are on my system. Any suggestions on how to locate and get rid of the trojans?
ZoneAlarm firewall is on high
running WindowsXP
using Mozillla Firefox web browser

JustMVG
11-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I had to uninstall my AdAware, it had a corrupted updated file and would not work, Spybot still works for me, as does the spyware Doctor, try uninstalling Ad Aware, then reinstall get the latest update and go from there thats what i did. Mikey

FMluvswater
11-09-2004, 05:11 PM
I had to uninstall my AdAware, it had a corrupted updated file and would not work, Spybot still works for me, as does the spyware Doctor, try uninstalling Ad Aware, then reinstall get the latest update and go from there thats what i did. Mikey
I had the first version of Ad-Aware and ran into a corrupt update file possibly same as what you've mentioned, Mikey. So I installed Ad-Aware SE and got rid of the other one in Add/Remove programs. Should I uninstall the SE and get rid of it and then try download and re-install it again? Still wondering too why AVG resident shield detects trojans but AVG program won't find and get rid of them? :confused: Thanks.

FMluvswater
11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Okay so I uninstalled then re-installed Ad-Aware SE. Ran it. It is still finding trojans in C:/System Volume Information/_restore/ ..... [bunch of mixed letters and numbers and file extensions - seems to be mostly .dll's and .exe's]
I can't even find that directory. :o Running AVG scan again and it is still not noticing the trojans. :notam:

Boozer
11-09-2004, 06:12 PM
I had the first version of Ad-Aware and ran into a corrupt update file possibly same as what you've mentioned, Mikey. So I installed Ad-Aware SE and got rid of the other one in Add/Remove programs. Should I uninstall the SE and get rid of it and then try download and re-install it again? Still wondering too why AVG resident shield detects trojans but AVG program won't find and get rid of them? :confused: Thanks.
I dont understand what this AVG program is? If AVG is your virus scan then its obvioulsy not Norton and if it's not Norton it's not good enough.
I was running PC-Cillin because it came free with my motherboard. I installed ran it and it seemed to be working okay. After about 2 months my computer started getting really slow and I started getting a lot of really weird errors. Finally it got to the point that it wouldn't even boot anymore. The errors were common with viruses but I thought they couldnt be due to the AntiVirus program I had been using, it should have gotten rid of them. I repaired my windows XP with the Windows XP cd and that seemed to fix the problem. 2 weeks later same problem happened again. That night I went and bought norton Systemworks and installed it. Norton found 62 viruses on my computer!!!! :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
It's been almost 2 months now and I haven't had a single problem since.

FMluvswater
11-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah I'm running the free-edition of AVG anti-virus system. This is the first time I've run into a problem that it didn't detect and fix. :notam: I even ran McAffee stinger and that didn't notice the trojans either. I've heard/read mixed reviews of Norton while I've only heard good things about AVG which is why I went with it. I just keep thinking it's something I'm not doing right I just can't figure out what.

GlastronGuy
11-09-2004, 06:43 PM
AVG is just fine and it's not a resource hog like Norton's.

Bense468
11-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Trend Micro is the best for Anti Virus. Norton is a resource hog. Have you tried downloading SP2?

572Daytona
11-09-2004, 06:50 PM
FM, it sounds to me like your computer is currently clean but there are trojans being detected within prior system save states. Try turning of WinXP's system restore, running Ad Aware and AVG scan then turn system restore back on and see if that gets rid of the messages. Here is a link on MS's website on how to disable and enable system restore:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310405

GlastronGuy
11-09-2004, 06:59 PM
FM, it sounds to me like your computer is currently clean but there are trojans being detected within prior system save states. Try turning of WinXP's system restore, running Ad Aware and AVG scan then turn system restore back on and see if that gets rid of the messages. Here is a link on MS's website on how to disable and enable system restore:
Sound like it to me. The files seem to be in your restore folder, they are probably not affecting anything. At least as long as you don't go to a restore point.

FMluvswater
11-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh man I must need more :coffeycup or something **smacks forehead** you'd think the word "restore" in the file names might have been enough to remind me :rolleyes: ... I knew I was missing a step somewhere! Thank-you 572D. :o :o :o I'm laying odds this will clear the situation right up. :redface:

FMluvswater
11-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Sound like it to me. The files seem to be in your restore folder, they are probably not affecting anything. At least as long as you don't go to a restore point.
This would pose a problem because I have had past occasion to use system restore and likely will again. Thanks GlastronGuy. :)

GlastronGuy
11-09-2004, 07:13 PM
This would pose a problem because I have had past occasion to use system restore and likely will again. Thanks GlastronGuy. :)
There should be a way to delete the old restore points and set a new one.
I don't use XP's restore. I use Roxio Go Back so I couldn't tell you how to do it.

572Daytona
11-09-2004, 07:17 PM
There should be a way to delete the old restore points and set a new one.
I don't use XP's restore. I use Roxio Go Back so I couldn't tell you how to do it.
It looks like according to MS's website that disabling system restore does delete the old entries. I'm still running Win98 here though so what do I know. To back up my save state all I need to do is make a copy of system.dat and user.dat.

BajaMike
11-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Trend Micro definately has the best anti-virus software, and a free tool to clean up your computer after it gets infected.
Go to this website and save Windows Pattern File on your "C" drive where it is east to find.
Download the latest Virus Pattern File (http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp)
Go to this website to download the free "Sysclean Package" (go down to where it says "If you are not Trend Micro Customer"....Save it on you "C" drive in the same folder as above.
Trend Sysclean Package (http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp)
Use Windows Explorere and Unzip the pattern file into the same folder. Then run the "sysclean.com" file (double click on it) and follow the directions. It will take 15 to 45 minutes to run, but it will clean the viruses and repair any changes to your files and registry caused by the virus.
I would then run this at least once per week....it's free, it uses no resources when you are not running it and it works.
I once used this to clean 3000 workstations (run from a logon script) in 30 states and it worked 100%.

BigDogIvan
11-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Acouple things I have had to do is to go to your registry (click start and typ in "REGEDIT" and press enter then do a search on the virus. I have also gone into and did an edit on the win.ini file and found the names of the virus' there. just highlight and delete then save the file reboot system.
Just a few thoughts
BD

BajaMike
11-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Acouple things I have had to do is to go to your registry (click start and typ in "REGEDIT" and press enter then do a search on the virus. I have also gone into and did an edit on the win.ini file and found the names of the virus' there. just highlight and delete then save the file reboot system.
Just a few thoughts
BD
Run the Trend "sysclean.exe" (see my post above) and it does all that for you, automaticly.
:rollside:

FMluvswater
11-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Hey thanks everyone for your suggestions. :) Turning system restore off then rebooting and turning it back on seemed to work. :cool: I also downloaded something called Trojan Hunter and ran it just before turning sys restore back on. It's just a 30 day trial version but it's a somewhat highly praised product here. (http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/) It found and cleaned up 7 trojans for me. :crossx: