PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a project boat

cam440
08-17-2001, 08:56 AM
I am looking for a project boat to build. I would like to get something without the engine, but with all the other hardware. Does anyone know where to find one? Messageboards,classifieds, whatever. I am looking for a "hot" boat, not some bayliner volvo penta thing. Thanks, CHAD

SPECTRABRENT
08-17-2001, 09:01 AM
HOw much are you looking to spend?
What motor & jet combo are you looking for?
Brent

RiverDave
08-17-2001, 09:04 AM
Whats wrong with Volvo Penta?? They're putting out some pretty nice stuff lately.
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave (edited August 17, 2001).]

Slick
08-17-2001, 09:09 AM
If you want to come to Phoenix, you can have my project. 1994 Caliber 1 open bow. Great shape, no floor, 502hp 100hrs, needs pump rebuild. Just kidding. I should have bought an Ultra and been done with it. Oh, well, live and learn.
Later,
Slick

cam440
08-17-2001, 09:22 AM
River Dave: Nothing wrong with volvo-penta...if thats what you like! I do NOT like outdrives...either a jet or a v-drive.
I have NEVER owned a boat, but my buddies are all building something, so I though I should join them. I wouldl ike to spend less than $1000.00 on the hull... and I am looking to get a total basketcase if possible(hull in decent shape, paint not important).I am looking for this type of boat (not exact match but the basic "look")
CHAD
http://www.highperformanceboating.com/hornet.jpg
[This message has been edited by cam440 (edited August 17, 2001).]

squirtgun
08-17-2001, 09:41 AM
Cam440, I might have what your looking for. It's a 19' tahiti bubble deck. I have sanded it down to the orignial gel coat so just finish sand then paint. Has trailer and int. but seats could look better. this boat is a jet and I have some hardware for it. I'm in the bay area and will make you a killer deal as I have 2 other boats. Was going to build it to bracket this could be a good boat Don

RiverDave
08-17-2001, 10:59 AM
V-drives and Jets only eh?? That's to say the least a bit odd. Generally the guys that like props, like v-drives and outdrives, and the guys that like jets stick to jets, and everyone hates an O/B (just kidding Barney) http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif . To Most engineering types an Outdrive is the best thing going, unless your looking for a "purpose built" boat.
If you don't mind me asking Why don't you like outdrives?? I personally don't care what kind of propulsion it is as long as it fits the circumstances of the buyer.
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave (edited August 17, 2001).]

BADAXE
08-17-2001, 11:25 AM
Hey cam440,
Who's the chick in the boat? She's hot!
(shssss! don't say anything to cam440 but I think that chick in the boat is a dude)

cam440
08-17-2001, 12:09 PM
squirtgun....Iam very interested..but your email does not seem to be real! So what is your email addy, as I would really like to talk to you!
RiverDave...as I said before, I have never owned a boat, so the means of propulsion to me is really not important in the sense that I made it come accross! I want to go FAST for CHEAP, in other words, the only FAST outdrives I have come across are Baja's and Scarab's and the like! Way out of my price range. I don't care if it is jet,v-drive,outboard,turbine or hyperdrive(kidding http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif).....I just want to build something within a certain budget...and a v-drive or jetdrive fills the bill.
BADAXE....I WAS going to ask "what chick are you talking about"....but then I re-read your post....HA ha ha...LOL

RiverDave
08-17-2001, 12:46 PM
Fast for Cheap = FlatBottom V-drive. You can buy any variety of them from just a plain hull to a running 80mph boat in good shape for 5K. Then you can concentrate on making it Your baby instead of building. My .02 is by the time you get the hull, build the motor $$$$$ you could've bought a flattie and put it real close to the century mark.
RD (Just a thought)

cam440
08-17-2001, 01:12 PM
Dave...I appreciate the thought! And it is a great suggestion. I do not plan on turning this project in a couple of months....I will buy a little here and a little there....All of my money goes into my first love....cars!
Check out our 71 Charger (twin turbo, video is large)
http://www.bearshobbies.bizland.com/charger@6psi.mpeg

Bubbledeck2
08-17-2001, 01:13 PM
RD is right .. about the only one that comes out ahead on a "project boat" is the guy you sell it to.
Unless you get the boat&trailer for next to nothing, do ALL the work yourself and figure your labor at about 2 bucks an hour or less, and have a whole lot of parts already laying around, I'd say you're better off buying one that already floats.
If you just enjoy building and working on things, then more power to you!

cam440
08-17-2001, 01:17 PM
^

Racing Ray
08-17-2001, 01:29 PM
Chad it is my sons boat and I am not offended. What I am is a practical joker and I thought I would have some fun at your expense! Glad you took it well. I will change it back LOL!!!

cam440
08-17-2001, 01:33 PM
Racing Ray...I am glad you dont mind that I use the pic. Tell your son that he has a VERYnice boat indeed!
Thanks, CHAD

Slick
08-17-2001, 02:20 PM
Cool run. Liked hearing the turbos wind down.
Slick

RiverDave
08-17-2001, 02:37 PM
I heard a blow off valve (very faintly) after the Burnout. You guys know that the Honda drag cars are running 8.5's now! Pretty dam impressive for a rice burner. My Roomate has a Honda del sol that is "streetable" that runs high 11's.
RD

cam440
08-17-2001, 02:58 PM
RD, yes, there are some very fast import cars out there. But I assure you, to run 8.50's they spent WAY more than us! I also know for a fact that those 8sec. Hondas are not streetable in any way! The TT Charger
is VERY streetable, is fuel injected, and gets 12mpg! Anyway, I am not being "defensive", I am just informing you.
http://www.bearshobbies.com/lftturbo4.jpg
http://www.bearshobbies.com/rhtturbo2.jpg

RiverDave
08-17-2001, 03:53 PM
Cam440, no not the 8 second honda's. Of course there not streetable. There tubeframe purpose built (Not sure why someone would build a purpose built front wheel drive drag car) but my roomates del sol is streetable and running high 11's. Just thought it's impressive to see an actual full bodied front wheel drive Honda do that. Back to Boats,
RD

jroos
08-17-2001, 04:06 PM
cam440, I bought my boat for 1300. An insurance job. Didn`t know anything about boats(and still don`t). Got 23k in it and still going. But I get bored and cnange things as I crossed from cars. Thought it was cheaper and easier.WRONG. Just remember the 4 commandments of project building:
1. It`ll always take you twice as long to finish it than you thought.
2. It`ll always cost twice as much as you thought.
3. It`ll never be as fast as you thought
4. If it was that easy, then everyone would do it.
Remember these 4 things and every project you start you WILL finish.
I wish I would have checked into jets first, I could have bought 2 really tricked out rigs by now. One could have been a Youngblood Pickle Fork that was blown and ran 107 mph. I met the guy who bought it at the lake.Jets don`t go for much in Louisiana.
Good Luck!

GOT WATER ??
08-17-2001, 07:47 PM
I know where there's a Sleek for $1500.00 it is a 23' or a 24'

cam440
08-18-2001, 09:10 AM
What happened to squirtgun?? You never emailed me about the boat you have!
cam440@home.com

squirtgun
08-18-2001, 12:23 PM
Chad, Yes it is real. I left work early I sent you an e-mail on the boat and a #where you could reach me. I think I responded on the other board also Thanks Don