PDA

View Full Version : Konrad Drives

BADBLOWN572
11-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Does anyone have any information on Konrad drives for a high performance applications? I have heard that they have been tested with high horse power and high torque, but never any high performance applications. Any info that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
BB572

Havasu Hangin'
11-09-2004, 09:24 PM
A couple guys on OSO switched them for their TRS. If you try a search over there...you'll probably find alot of positive comments.

BADBLOWN572
11-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the info.
BB572

Jordy
11-09-2004, 09:32 PM
I think they have a website as I've seen advertising on OSO as well.
http://www.konradmarine.com/

BADBLOWN572
11-09-2004, 11:03 PM
I looked at their website, but it doesn't have much information on the drive really. I am looking for first hand information hopefully from someone who has run 1k h.p. with one. Considering doing something in the future, but I don't want to spend the 60k+ for a pair of #6 drives. Sounds like it is possibly an option for future use.

XtrmWakeborder
11-09-2004, 11:22 PM
I looked at their website, but it doesn't have much information on the drive really. I am looking for first hand information hopefully from someone who has run 1k h.p. with one. Considering doing something in the future, but I don't want to spend the 60k+ for a pair of #6 drives. Sounds like it is possibly an option for future use.
pair? whats up next BB?

Jordy
11-10-2004, 08:09 AM
One word for ya then. Arneson. :D

BADBLOWN572
11-10-2004, 09:42 AM
I have thought about Arnesons, but there are a bunch of reasons why I am hesitant to go with them. 1) They have the nick name of the kiddie cutters for a reason, 2) really slow hole shot, 3) Props are a pain in the butt to dial in and no one will loan you props for testing, 4) props are serious $$$, 5) don't stear well, etc... I will probably be using this boat as a pleasure boat and I really don't want to have to worry about safety issues with the drive etc...
I have read over on OSO that a lot of guys are running the Konrad drives over the TRS drives and are loving them, but I have not seen anyone running over 800h.p. in front of them. I am thinking 1k h.p. motors. It scares me to think about blowing a drive at 140-150+!
Xtreme, possibly going BIG!

Jordy
11-10-2004, 10:00 AM
4) props are serious $$$,
Isn't everything that has to do with a boat though?
I will probably be using this boat as a pleasure boat
It scares me to think about blowing a drive at 140-150+!
Going to be quite a pleasure boat. :D
possibly going BIG!
Not too big for Parker I hope???? :D :D :D

BADBLOWN572
11-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Not too big for Parker I hope???? :D :D :D
Well define too big for Parker. Boatcop says that since it is a federal water way, they can not regulate any boat size on Parker. So technically, no it is not too big. Practically, possibly, but then again, you gots to strut yo shiz nit.

Boatlesss
11-29-2004, 10:00 PM
kiddie cutter? Steering?
Have you heard of anyone that got cut up or is this your own insecurity?
You've listed every false assumption that you can name but have you read any comments from people that run them?
On OSO there are several people running them and they have the exact opposite opinion. You need to speak with someone that has experience with them not the hearsay.
I see a lot of the yachts in our marina that have them and they dock really well, they get on plane and they run. I met a guy from CT with one on an 18’ Donzi, I want that BOAT! It hauls but, over 120 and it just crazy. He seemed to dock and steer through the run we were on just like all the other boats.

BADBLOWN572
11-30-2004, 12:31 AM
The Arnesons DO have the nickname "kiddie cutter" for a reason. Those props are extremely sharp and are fully exposed. I am not going to argue that when properly dialed in, they kick ass, but for my application, they won't work. I can just see someone swimming in the channel in Havasu and hitting a sharp pointed prop. Great, now I have a law suit and medical bills to pay. The simple fact that they swam into it doesn't matter. Since I could forsee that it could happen and no precautions were made to minimize the risk (prop covers, etc...) I am negligant.
For the ocean, the Arnesons would be perfect, but I need to find a drive that will be sufficient for the practical application of a pleasure boat. If I was going with a race boat, it would probably have Arnesons on it, but no way in hell for a pleasure boat!!!
Oh, BTW. as for my own insecurities...F#%K YOU!!! I have worked my ass off for what I have and all that I need is one accident and I am screwed. So, insecure about it, nope. Looking at facts and legal ramifications, it is not worth it! I have seen many people cut them selves on props. Everything from Bravo props to cleavers. The only difference is that with a cleaver, you are guaranteed to go to the hospital!! I can not think of a better way to end a weekend.

Boatlesss
11-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Dude, it’s the same propeller for the Merc drives and you are not calling that drive or company a "kiddie Cuter"; a derogatory name you chose due to your lack of knowledge.
The outboard on mine and my buddy's boat has sliced more meat than a deli but no one is labeling them the same negative connotation as you do an Arneson. If the girls swim around the propeller we tell them to be cautious.
It’s not about the b.s., just the lack of knowledge and running with it. I saw that they have made a propeller guard to some degree.
Don’t buy the drive if its not best for your application, but don’t be such a hater.
Maybe you'd be best served with a Berkeley?

STVBOY
11-30-2004, 12:22 PM
This is always the misconception everyone has. On a recreational hull like yours you would never run a cleaver if you have a arneson. Your hull does not create enough lift to make it work. A cleaver lifts the transom only not the bow. You would have to run a round eared prop just like the one on your bravo which in that case would not be anymore dangerous than a bravo. The funny thing is a #6 drive hangs out just as far and no one ever slanders those for being dangerous.
Just my 2 cents.
The Arnesons DO have the nickname "kiddie cutter" for a reason. Those props are extremely sharp and are fully exposed. I am not going to argue that when properly dialed in, they kick ass, but for my application, they won't work. I can just see someone swimming in the channel in Havasu and hitting a sharp pointed prop. Great, now I have a law suit and medical bills to pay. The simple fact that they swam into it doesn't matter. Since I could forsee that it could happen and no precautions were made to minimize the risk (prop covers, etc...) I am negligant.
For the ocean, the Arnesons would be perfect, but I need to find a drive that will be sufficient for the practical application of a pleasure boat. If I was going with a race boat, it would probably have Arnesons on it, but no way in hell for a pleasure boat!!!
Oh, BTW. as for my own insecurities...F#%K YOU!!! I have worked my ass off for what I have and all that I need is one accident and I am screwed. So, insecure about it, nope. Looking at facts and legal ramifications, it is not worth it! I have seen many people cut them selves on props. Everything from Bravo props to cleavers. The only difference is that with a cleaver, you are guaranteed to go to the hospital!! I can not think of a better way to end a weekend.

Havasu Hangin'
12-01-2004, 05:38 AM
The funny thing is a #6 drive hangs out just as far and no one ever slanders those for being dangerous.
Just my 2 cents.
I would think that 6's are a little different- the have a housing that an Arneson doesn't (on more thing to stop a stray foot).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/74businessend.jpg

spectras only
12-01-2004, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't want anybody swim behind my boat :idea: .Those Bravo 1 blades ARE sharp :2purples: ,and I have covers for them while the boat is on the trailerhttp://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/mirage%20transom.bmp

Boatlesss
12-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Seeing as the propellers on that SABER are roughly 17" in diameter and the cav plate is no more than 8" wide, no matter how you slice it you are not going to fair well with the fall or the propellers.
The other mercury drives such as the #3 through 5 do not have a cav plate even so there goes any thoughts of saftey or jumping into or near the drives.
What has not been said is the one concern that was mentioned. Swimming. There is not a chance in hell of the Mercury or the Arneson being able to protect the swimmer from the propeller as none of them place a guard completely around the propeller.

TIMINATOR
12-05-2004, 08:43 PM
I sent for and recieved the Konrad info, but since they didn't see fit to include ANY pricing,(I'm a dealer, no buy-in, or term info either) I have to assume that they are proud of their stuff. Also, a lot of "we are great" info, but nothing very technical. I was disappointed. TIMINATOR

MikeyFIN
12-12-2004, 11:04 PM
pair? whats up next BB?
Is that a Sleekcraft 21 exec jr.?