PDA

View Full Version : Tv buying suggestion?

BOBALOO
11-09-2004, 09:14 PM
I know there has to be a few couch potatoes here that spend excessive amounts of time watching tv. If you have a tv you like and it fits my list, post the model and price. I will be shopping next week.
My question is what is the best tv to fit my requirements? Here is my list.
Brand......dont have a preference.
Least likely to break
HDTV or upgradeable to HDTV
36" tube type or smaller projection type maybe 42"
I dont watch very much tv so I dont need to spend a fortune and I have about 800-1500 bucks to spend.

Jordy
11-09-2004, 09:43 PM
My suggestion is talk to Roz. He's the all around electronics guru on the boards. :cool:

ROZ
11-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the compliment Jordy, but I'm sure there are a few on here who know a bit more than me and don't post... BTW, did you get that bigscreen from Costco?
Bobaloo,
There are many mfg's who make tv's that fit your general requirements. I like the fact that you're willing to go HDTV with a tube. You'll get the best picure available going this route. If you're looking to get a bi larger picture via reap projection tv, there are also several makes and models to look at. I Have always been partial to Sony, Hitachi, Mitsuhishi, and Toshiba Cinema series tv's. Of these mfg's, Sony and Toshiba still make reliable tube tv's. I have the last version of the 36xbr and love it. The wife didn't want furniture (bigscreen) and didn't have 8K to spend on a decent plasma with the killer processing(like the Pioneer Elite), so I elected to get the stellar tube tv. It's HD ready, but I don't have HD.. Unfortunately I'm a cheap ba$tard.... Another brand to look at is Samsung. Once thought of as an entry level tv, they've really come a long way in the digital world. Some people even consider them ahead of the pack in our digital age. Heck, they're on their 3rd run of the DLP... Sony has too much invested in their LCD and will never go DLP. Mitsubishi doesn't put new technology into production unles they have a top notch product, and just entered the DLP arena this year with a killer line of tv's. One model even has a DVR built in :D ..
Sorry for the rambling, just thought you'd like to know a basic on where a couple of the companies are headed... The traditional rear projection bigscreen will likely be obsolute within the next 2 model years...
A couple 42 rear projections to look at are the Mitsubishi WT42315 and Sony KP46hs520....Both offer the lage screen HD ready set within the price range. They are, however, tabletop screens that require a stand unless you already have a location for it..
Tube tv's...
Sony KD36XS955(hd tuner inside and cable card(no cable cox needed unless need pay per view)))
KV34HS420 (hd upgrade)
If you want me to price something out for you, pm me and I can do it tomorrow. If there is a tv you'd like to know more about, I'll be glad to fill you in the bast I can whether I carry it or not.
Hopefully this helps somewhat...

Jordy
11-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the compliment Jordy, but I'm sure there are a few on here who know a bit more than me and don't post... BTW, did you get that bigscreen from Costco?
Actually, I ended up with a 48" Sony from one of my buds. By the time I sold my old 35" and entertainment center, my total cost was $300 for a new TV. He had it for a year and then sold his house, and bought a new one that wouldn't accomidate the Sony. It's just a stepping stone on up to my 64" widescreen, but we're making our way there. :D