PDA

View Full Version : We just got a really bad phone call

Boozer
11-09-2004, 11:23 PM
As most of you know my brother suffers from Cystic Fibrosis.
Up until recently my brother has been a real trooper. When he was born he was givin a life expectancy of 8 years old. He's now 22. He didn't have any real problems until he was 15 at which point he was hospitalized for 2 weeks due to an infection in his lungs called pseudamonis <sp>. He faught it off and returned to his normal day to day life.
Right before I left Colorado he got sick again. The doctors put him on some meds and said he should be okay. A few weeks after I came out here he was hospitalized. They kept him in the hospital for a few days and then released him but the condition of his release was that he would have a pic line implanted into his arm. The pic line is an IV ran through his veins all the way to his heart and once a day he has to administer medicine to himself. He had the pic line in for 2 weeks and seemed to be better.
A week ago my brothers health was deteriorating again. Once again he had a pic line put in. Today he had a doctors appointment and the news was not good. After my brothers hospitalization when he was 15 he was put on a medicine called Toby it is a medicine that is administered through a nebulizer and when it came out it was basically a miracle drug for people suffering from CF it still is because it has given people with CF a longer life span. After 7 years his body has developed an immunity to the Toby and its not working anymore. The doctors put him on a new medicine that they have told him is the last of the medicines they have to treat his CF. It's a new medicine and at this point they are uncertain of how long it's going to work for.
I am flipping the f*ck out! My brother made it this far and we really thought he was going to beat this thing. The progress in medicine was exceeding the progress that the disease was making in my brothers body. Now it seems as though it is not.
In the past months my brother has become very depressed and angry. I don't blame him, he can't live a normal life anymore like people his age. The doctors already told him he cant party or drink because the alcohol will work against the medicine.
Because of this change in my brothers condition I realized the time I have left with him may be limited and he really needs a friend and a brother to help get him through the long tough road he has ahead. I'll be packing my bags in the coming weeks and heading back to Denver. It was really nice spending the small amount of time with you guys that I was able to in person and I look forward to doing it again however, when that time will come I do not know.
I know it's a long shot but I know there are a lot of good people on these boards and if even half of you say a prayer for my brother in the coming nights I can only hope that god will hear your prayers and pull my little bro and my family through this.

IN2-IN2MX
11-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Oh Boozer! I am soooo sorry to hear this. :squiggle: Mike and I will have you and your whole family in our thoughts and prayers tonight. The doctors will think of something new.

MAINEVENT
11-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Sorry to hear this....I dont pray very much OK at all..... but i will wish your brother the best and good luck he sounds like a fighter, Hope everything gets better soon and our best wishes goes out to your family and i will tell the Mrs. to pray for you and your family tonight
Alex

FMluvswater
11-09-2004, 11:35 PM
I'll keep your brother, you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I really hope you all pull through this and he has lots more time with all of you. :clover:
Take care Boozer.

BarryMac
11-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Boozer, you and your brother are in put thoughts and prayers...
gjb

Mrs. Restless22
11-10-2004, 06:54 AM
Im sitting here with tears running down my face. I read your story and all I wanted to do was call my family to tell them I love them.
Im so sorry you got that phone call and that your brother had to endure this tragic road at such a young age. CF is a horrible condition that doesnt get enough attention.
You are doing the best thing you can by going home to stay with him. If this is his last stretch, you wont regret it.
He is in our prayers and hearts from this time out. Please keep us updated on his progress.
Shawna & Ron

throwerb
11-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Sorry to hear that. I will pray for him and you as well.

Daytona 25
11-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Best of luck to your bro and entire family. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

OGShocker
11-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Our prayers are with you, your brother and your entire family.

hoolign
11-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Very sorry to here this dude! I hope everything works out for you and your family! We'll be praying for you!

Parker Dreamin
11-10-2004, 07:09 AM
You are in my families prayers Boozer....... and hang in there.

ahhell
11-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Thats a tough situation to be in. our prayers will be with you and your bro.also...Sounds like youre one hell of a guy also to pack it up and move back to help...alot more than most would do.

Mrs.Racer277
11-10-2004, 07:23 AM
You and your brother will be in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

Keithb87
11-10-2004, 07:51 AM
Man that's rough.. he sounds like a great guy and it's too bad that you and your family has to go through this. I too am sitting her with tears in my eyes.. I'll keep you and yours in my prayers.. :frown:

Debbolas
11-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your brother. I am so sorry for your trouble.....Deb

Sherpa
11-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Boozer, I will pray for your family and your brother........... modern medicine
is still not perfected..... I wish it was for your brother.......
--keep faith in God....
--Sherpa

FastTimmy
11-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Are prayers are with you and your brother......
GOD'S SPEED
Timmy

JetBoatRich
11-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Boozer very sad news to read about your brother, as you mentioned your a brother and a friend, which he needs right now. He is in our thoughts and prayers.
Have a safe trip back to Denver

bunny 166
11-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Im so sorry for you and your family...he needs your support now, so good luck with your move :clover: There are strides made in medicine every day...keep the faith up!! ;)

LVJAKAZ
11-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Hang in there, you are doing the right thing going back to Denver. He needs you. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

syke-o
11-10-2004, 09:42 AM
sorry to hear this... i wish your brother all the best and hope the new medicine works out for him... good luck to u and your family....

KACHINA KEN
11-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Sorry to hear this Booz, you and your family are in my prayers.......

OLDRAT
11-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Take care Boozer, hopefully your Brother is stronger than he appears and
will get better soon.
Have a safe trip and we all will be thinking about you :smile:
Peace,
OR

THOR
11-10-2004, 09:58 AM
My prayers are with you brother.

topless
11-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Oh Boozer, I am so sorry to hear this. You and youd your family will be in my prayers. You are doing the right thing going back to be with him while you can. Make memories because they last a lifetime. Just remember, miracles do happen. They already have for him so far. I wish I could give you a hug right now.

Charley
11-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Our Prayers are with you...

11-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Boozer, Consider it done. My thoughts and prayers will be with your brother and most sincere wishes for his complete recovery. Too many people take breathing for granted. We don't give it much thought until we can't.

Squirtin Thunder
11-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Hang in there things will get better just keep your faith in god and the doctors and I know in my heart it will get better.
Good luck and hang tough :chi:
Jim

MsDrmr
11-10-2004, 11:21 AM
I can not say a think to make you feel better about this, for that I am sorry. I will of course have you and your family in my prayers until we hear from you again. I will ask my bible study group to pray as well and we will all send our prayers to God and leave it in his hands.
I pray that you can be strong and weak for your brother when needed and be encouraging to him when he is down. Remember that if things do not happen the way you would like for them too, he will be in Heaven with his father, and someday you will join him.
Enjoy and soak up the time he has on earth, none of us are here for a guaranteed time, you never know what can happen..
Dont hesitate to contact me should you need a prayer over the phone, or a supportive ear to listen.....

abraman1326
11-10-2004, 11:30 AM
I know you and I have never met, or even talked for that matter. But I wanted to let you know that you , your brother, and family are in my prayers. I wish you the best.
On a side note, if you need someone to talk to, I am here. I am a man who lost his younger brother who was 21 to a long battle w/ cancer. I have been in a simular situation, so if you need someone to vent to, or just an ear to yell at, I am here. If you would like me number, you can PM me, I'll give it to you, and I'll talk to you anytime. Just let me know...
BRA

switchin'addiction
11-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Another prayer for your bro, you, & your family will be coming from my home as well. Take care of your bro!!

oldbuck40
11-10-2004, 11:39 AM
hey boozer thoughts and prayers to you and your family. when ya get to denver be sure and get back on here and keep us posted,seems you have alot of friends here that realy do care..have a safe trip......

little rowe boat
11-10-2004, 11:43 AM
I truly believe prayer is very powerful,so many prayers on the way from the Rowe family.

esabataj
11-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Boozer,
Remember that life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away!
Go be with him, support him, love him, and you will create some of those breath taking moments for him. Those special moments will survive for eternity in both your heart and his.
Your brother, yourself, and your families will be in our hearts and prayers and may God speed. Keep us posted on how he is doing.
Richard

ROZ
11-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Boozer, I speak from some indirect experience about the subject. My wife is an RT who has worked with CF patients both on and off the clock. She has chronic Asthema and as a result has always had more compassion when dealing with respiratory patients than most care givers. This fall has been hard for her as well. She recently went to Mexico with a team giving free surgery to several poverty stricken children and came home with a cold that turned into bronchitus. The respiratory difficulties landed her in the hospital this last weekend and gave me a scare that I haven't had in years... She's home now, but the call was close.
You have been blessed to have had your brother overcome the many obsticles over his 22 years and live life as full as much as he has. Chance is that you and your brotherly love has been inspirational to his mindset and has helped him pull through the toughest times. It sounds like he's a fighter and needs you now more than ever. Give him the support he needs.
May God be with you and your family to help pull you through.....

RP1
11-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Our Prayers are with you and yours.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Boozer,
Nothing can make a person feel better than having friends and family around. Going to be with your brother is the right thing to do, and you are a great brother for it. You both are in my prayers as well.

rvrtoy
11-10-2004, 01:07 PM
WOW Boozer... You know my prayers and the prayers of my family are with you. Just remember the advice that you gave me when my daughter was diagnosed with CF, follow it and be with your bro. He needs you now. You are a good brother!! God Bless you and your family.

dicudmore
11-10-2004, 03:38 PM
sorry to hear this Boozer :frown: :notam:

Mrs Luvnlife
11-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Our thoughts & prayers are with you & your family!
The Luvnlife's

unleashed
11-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Sorry to hear that Boozer, Good friends of mine are going through this with there 5 year old. Hes on like 10 different medicines, inhaulers, machines etc. Its such a tough disease. Lets hope they find something to cure this and soon. Its uplilfting to hear that your brother made it this far, and hopefully he can keep going. Goodluck.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Norseman
11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Boozer;
Our prayers are with you and your family too.
Best thing you can do is to go home to be with him!!!!!

2sand2
11-10-2004, 05:43 PM
When things get to you and you and or your brother can't understand why this is happening to you just remember that what we go thru here on earth and how we conduct ourselves is seen by others and can be a great insrepation to someone even when we don't see it. You two have made a difference in the lives of everyone on this board who reads this thread and shares it with someone else. How many of the rest of us can say we have had that affect on even one person. So when you doubt yourself and ask why this is happening just remember that just by telling this story you are giving someone else the inspiration to face thier own troubles. Thank you for that and yes you will be in more prayers than you can imagine.

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
11-10-2004, 05:58 PM
We are so sorry to hear this......our prayers go out to your brother, you and your family. If you need another shoulder to lean on or give a cry to you could always let me know.Our heart of hopes goes out to you. :clover:
Michelle and the Family

MOBrien
11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
What a man to pack his shit up and go fight the fight with lil bro! Go help him beat that CF shit! Positivity is a powerful state of mind. I don't know ya Boozer, but can certainly tell you're one hell of a brother. Nor Cal will represent with thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
Best of luck!
:clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:

Ziggy
11-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Shocking to hear this Boozer :frown: ...My thoughts will include your whole family.
BTW-if interested, my bro is a pharmacologist or PharmMD as it would be called. He was very heavy in the drug research area and may have insight to some of the drugs or potential alternatives which the Dr.'s haven't tried. He works as a Pharmacist now but is one of the highly sought after Pharms around and very knowledgable(he's the scholar in the family). Just let me know and I could put you in contact with him.

wild1s
11-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi, Boozer I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Cf is a horrible disease and I know what your going through. My 6 year old has just been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. I know its hard for you and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your brother. You have a new friend here and please keep me updated. He is a strong man and I hope his strength will indeed help him through this for a much longer time. The best thing you can do is to be there for him always. Take care of yourself too. Thanks Dean for mentioning my son :).
Amber