PDA

View Full Version : CA rated as "Meanest State"

Cas
11-10-2004, 08:59 AM
As far as the Homeless go. There are more cities in CA with stricter laws prohibitting panhandling and camping out than any other state. My thoughts on this waver quite a bit. On one hand I think it's wrong for the panhandling but on the other, most of those people are just trying to survive any way they can. Granted, many of them are just looking for liquor or drug money but there are many that have been put in that situation by some unforeseen circumstances.
Here in Sonoma, we have very little panhandling going on, actually, I'm not sure I've seen anyone doing so in the 4½ years I've been living here. On the other hand, in San Mateo where we moved from, there were a lot of homeless people.
Do you think there should be homes or places to stay for these people?

RiverDave
11-10-2004, 09:29 AM
You have got to be shitting me...
My brother has "problems" and the state sends him gobs and gobs of money.. all he had to do was fill out one paper to get it too. As a matter of fact in the spirit of the hollidays I have to take him this other check that is just a kind of "bonus" near as I can tell for 1200 bucks..
California is the meanest state my ass..
Best solution to homeless people is cold weather. You notice how where it snows you don't see a whole lot of homeless people?
RD

Blown 472
11-10-2004, 09:32 AM
My brother has "problems" and the state sends him gobs and gobs of money.. all he had to do was fill out one paper to get it too. As a matter of fact in the spirit of the hollidays I have to take him this other check that is just a kind of "bonus" near as I can tell for 1200 bucks..
Best solution to homeless people is cold weather. You notice how where it snows you don't see a whole lot of homeless people?
RD
Or gang bangers, or shit bags, got to love sub zero weather.

spectratoad
11-10-2004, 11:11 AM
If I was homeless I would probably locate in Arizona or so Cal. Or Hawaii for that matter.
Hey CAS, Maybe the guys Brandon caught stealing the boat were just trying to get some money for food?? :p Just kididng, I am glad they didn't get away with it. Hopefully they catch the dirtbags.

Jeanyus
11-10-2004, 12:43 PM
So what the liberals in the state of California say is, feed, and house the poor,but put them in jail when they come to my neighborhood.

uclahater
11-10-2004, 03:50 PM
RD
A post of yours I can finally agrre with :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

HighRoller
11-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Maybe if California is too mean they should move to Portland. Homeless people are like the sacred cow around here. They get free food, free shelter, get to hang out all day in front of the building and smoke cigarettes they supposedly have no money to buy. Lots of them college age, able bodied males. I remember the day when being homeless was a bad thing. These people have turned it into a legitimate way of living.
It's almost as funny as the "teams" of people who work the off-ramps around here panhandling. Same people every day, one pair at night and another pair during the day. All wearing clean clothes, washed hair, well shaven, new shoes, and they "accesorize" very well. I've seen two different people using the same set of crutches on different days, and they also have a cane, an arm sling and some bandaging that they bring out when they need the big bucks. I guess they park their Cadillac around the corner so nobody can see it. It's amazing that people would give money to a person wearing an Old Navy jacket and Nike shoes who claims to be homeless.

11-10-2004, 08:04 PM
We're Number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d :d :d

Dog
11-10-2004, 10:20 PM
reference (http://epaper.ardemgaz.com/Repository/getFiles.asp?Style=OliveXLib:ArticleToMail&Type=text/html&Path=ArDemocrat/2004/11/09&ID=Ar01000)
Publication:Arkansas Democrat-Gazette; Date:Tuesday, November 09, 2004 ; Section:Arkansas; Page:10
LR dubbed ‘meanest’ for homeless by advocacy group
BY ANDREW DEMILLO AND JILL ZEMAN ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE
Efforts to close 27 transient camps earned Little Rock the title "meanest city" in the nation, according to a report due out today from a national homeless advocacy group.
The National Coalition for the Homeless branded Little Rock with the title in a ranking of 20 cities. The rankings were derived from purported civil-rights violations and attitudes toward the homeless. Atlanta, Cincinnati and Las Vegas ranked in the top 10.
Little Rock’s ranking results from a proposal this year to close more than two dozen camps of homeless people around the city, mostly downtown. The plan was tabled after objections from advocates for the homeless, but the coalition said a danger remains that the city will move forward with its plan.
"This issue has been percolating here for some time," said Michael Stoops, director of community organizing for the Washington-based coalition. "This is the first time that Little Rock has been documented in our report." This marks the third report released by the coalition. Las Vegas has held the top spot for the past two years.
City leaders and some shelter directors on Monday objected to the ranking.
Little Rock leaders questioned the timing of the report, released a little more than a week before the Clinton Presidential Center’s opening, and sent out a three-page news release defending the city’s policies on the homeless.
"This has caught us totally off guard, and it’s unfair," City Manager Bruce Moore said of the report.
Moore cited steps the city has taken to help the homeless. He said such steps make the title of "meanest city" more dubious.
The city allocates money to the St. Francis House, which provides services for the homeless, Moore said, and Little Rock employees helped with a homeless outreach day on Sept. 25.
In its proposed 2005 budget, the city has set aside $70,000 in community development block grant money for a day resource center for the homeless. Moore said he hopes to allocate more money for homeless services from the city’s general fund in its 2005 budget.
"I just think you’ve got a few people out there that are intent on making Little Rock look bad while we’re continuing to work with a group of individuals to address this problem," Moore said.
The report also cites comments by Mayor Jim Dailey, who has advocated sweeping out the camps, as a reason for the ranking. Dailey did not return a call seeking his comment.
Sandra Wilson, executive director of the Arkansas Supportive Housing Network and a vocal opponent of the sweeps, said she hopes the report will spur the city to change policy toward the homeless. She said discussions with city officials have seen little progress.
"There aren’t enough resources for the homeless here," Wilson said. "[City leaders] have to actually look at that and say we really haven’t done any good. ... Instead of being silent, we need talk about this."
Moore debunked the idea that Little Rock called for homeless camp sweeps to clean up the area before the Clinton library opening.
"The Clinton library just has never been a factor in any of our decisions or dialogue," he said.
The report speculated that the Nov. 18 opening of the library, expected to draw more than 27,000 people, factored in the sweeps.
Little Rock numbers among 168 cities working on a 10-year plan to address chronic homelessness, a plan expected to come out in December.
Phil Mangano, the nation’s top official on homelessness, said he found the report "surprising," given the discussions.
"There’s this unprecedented partnership around our country to do the right thing and be more solution-oriented in approaching homelessness," said Mangano, executive director of the U.S Interagency Council on Homelessness. "I know Little Rock is a city that is moving in that direction."
City Director Michael Keck said the city has "bent over backwards" to work with homeless advocacy groups and other organizations to help Little Rock’s homeless.
"Having someone who doesn’t live here who is trying to get a headline because the library opening’s getting ready to occur — I don’t think it does anything to advance the cause. I really don’t."
As the report comes out this morning, city leaders will gather south of downtown to break ground for a $1.4 million shelter for Our House. The 70-bed shelter, expected to open next summer, will replace the shelter on Main Street.
Barry McDaniel, president of the shelter’s board of directors, had doubts about the ranking.
"We’re certainly not at the forefront in the efforts to deal with homelessness," said Mc-Daniel, husband of City Director Barbara Graves. "But we’re certainly not in the rear either."

sorry dog
11-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Maybe Tom Brown can tell us if there are any homeless in Regina??

vdriver4ever
11-24-2004, 08:01 AM
My daddy told me years ago the best thing I can do for the poor is not be one!

lucky
11-24-2004, 08:21 AM
As far as the Homeless go. There are more cities in CA with stricter laws prohibitting panhandling and camping out than any other state. My thoughts on this waver quite a bit. On one hand I think it's wrong for the panhandling but on the other, most of those people are just trying to survive any way they can. Granted, many of them are just looking for liquor or drug money but there are many that have been put in that situation by some unforeseen circumstances.
Here in Sonoma, we have very little panhandling going on, actually, I'm not sure I've seen anyone doing so in the 4½ years I've been living here. On the other hand, in San Mateo where we moved from, there were a lot of homeless people.
Do you think there should be homes or places to stay for these people?
i found this out from my buddy - up here the cops got tired of dealing with the homless and every monday would have a kitty and donate there earning to buy the bum of the week a one way ticket to san fran cal- I thought this was great - and they where told not to come back till they had a job - this town use to be nice - now we have them alllllllll over on every corner - some of them even standing outside Mac donalds under their employment advertisements -- THE NERVE

eliminatedsprinter
11-24-2004, 12:41 PM
:hammerhea Ca has the most restrictions on the homeless. :notam: That's no suprise. We have the most restrictions on those with homes as well, along with the most restrictions on cars, and everything else. Ca is just one hell of a hyper-restrictive place to live, period. :( : :hammerhea

Schiada76
11-24-2004, 02:22 PM
They aren't "homeless" They're BUMS!
Those that are mentally ill can no longer be housed by the state in institutions because of the aclu. It infringes on their rights to care for them. :confused:
I had a friend that rented a condo for a year on PCH in the Peoples Republic of Santa Monica. This is some of the most expensive real estate in the world. When we visited him for dinner we had to walk around the puddles of vomit and piss to get to the local restaurants. The worst thing about these sub humans were that they will shit anywhere, the front of his condo frequently had a pile of shit in an alcove by the door with shit smeared all over the walls around the area. It being liberalville though they are a protected species.
liberals are scum

Forkin' Crazy
11-24-2004, 08:23 PM
There it is!
They can get assistance, and most do, I am sure. All you have to do is tell them at the gov office that you are an alcoholic or drug addict, and you will get a SSI check. What they laughingly refer to as their "crazy check". :mad: I know a guy who's brother is off. He is a part time bum and rides the trains. He said they would ride to Jackson and collect a check, ride to here and collect a check, ride to Shreveport and collect a check.............
A lot are running or hiding from the law. They are human debris and should be delt with as such! :220v:
They are also a lot smarter than they would leave you to believe. I was at a gas station one day. This bum, looked ok physically, asked me for money. As usual, I told him no and to carry his stinking ass away. He then asked this crippled dude that mowed yards in my area. Crippled, I mean a gimp leg and a gimp arm. It pissed me off so bad I went over there screaming and ran his sorry ass off.... Nerve? Conscience? Or stupidity? No, just sorry! BTW the cripped dude said, "Thanks man." :)

Rev. Williams
11-29-2004, 02:25 PM
The worst thing about these sub humans were that they will shit anywhere, the front of his condo frequently had a pile of shit in an alcove by the door with shit smeared all over the walls around the area.
This is what I've hated most!!! They're just sick people!!!
I'd rather they let the dogs run loose to crap on my lawn then these frikin bums !!! I say round up the bums, and if nobody comes to claim them in two weeks................Then its Nighty Night !!!!

Boozer
11-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Bums suck a$$.
I haven't really come across them much here in So-Cal so obviously the restrictions this state has imposed are working.
In Denver there are bums everywhere. I worked downtown for 3 years and the first couple times I went out to lunch or out to a bar or whatever I got hit up for cash by someone with what I thought was a sincere sob story. Usuaully something along the lines of "I'm trying to get bus fair to get to L.A. or I'm just trying to get home man." Considering that the greyhound terminal was 1 block away from my office I bought it and helped a few people out on a couple ocassions. 5-6 days later strung out on crack the people who I gave money to for supposed bus fair were hitting me up again using the same line. After talking to a guy who works for non proft org that feeds these guys I was told that some of those guys make 4-500 bux a day hitting people up for supposed bus fair.
A day didn't go by that I didn't get hit up by a bum for money. It got to the point that I created my own fund I called "f*ck the bum fund" everytime I got hit up for cash by a bum I'd stick $1 in my pocket. At the end of the day I'd take all of those dollars and stash them in a piggy bank. Somedays I was coming home and stashing away 20-30 dollars. At the end of the month my gf and I would go out and blow all the money in one night as a way of saying f*ck you to the bums. As my way of saying thank you I'd take my left over food from whatever outrageously priced restaraunt we ate at that night and give it to a bum sitting on the streets.
So if restricitng the bums makes us the meanest state then so be it. I can live without them. Although I do miss watching the bum fights that would brake out from time to time.
If you ever go to Denver cruise the downtown area are around 4-5am and you;ll be amazed at all the bums sleeping on streets. They literally zip up in a sleeping bag right in the middle of the sidewalk and you'll see 100's of them doing this.

Forkin' Crazy
11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Bums suck a$$.
A day didn't go by that I didn't get hit up by a bum for money. It got to the point that I created my own fund I called "f*ck the bum fund" everytime I got hit up for cash by a bum I'd stick $1 in my pocket. At the end of the day I'd take all of those dollars and stash them in a piggy bank. Somedays I was coming home and stashing away 20-30 dollars. At the end of the month my gf and I would go out and blow all the money in one night as a way of saying f*ck you to the bums. As my way of saying thank you I'd take my left over food from whatever outrageously priced restaraunt we ate at that night and give it to a bum sitting on the streets.
Man!!! That's funny as hell!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!! :rollside:

Dawn Patrol
11-29-2004, 10:33 PM
It's true. Some of these bums make some really good tax free coin.
This one bum was working the off ramp in pasadena, holding his cardboard sign, wearing new shoes no less, He taps on my window and asks "Sir, can you spare some change", I said " I was just about to ask you for some".... This guy just chuckled and went to the next car.
I thought to myself, That focker already had made his coin for the day.

Bob Noxious
12-11-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't know who rated Cal the meanest state for homelessness, but I really don't believe it. That implies that a homeless person might get better treatment in Utah, Wyoming, Arizona etc......I don't think so!
Now if you want to talk about the states that truckers rate the meanest, California is at the top of THAT list..... followed by Ohio..... After that, Texas, Colorado, Oregon and Washington get honorable mention.

Boy Named Sue
12-11-2004, 11:06 PM
So what the liberals in the state of California say is, feed, and house the poor,but put them in jail when they come to my neighborhood.
I lived with a raving liberal who called the cops at 1 a.m. on a bum who was digging in recycling bins at the curb, because he was making too much noise! Even the evil me thought if Trampy has to dig in trash in the middle of the night to get what he needs, let him do it.

Boy Named Sue
12-12-2004, 09:29 PM
F*c* um!, If they like to live in the warmer climate then let's just push them straight down to TIA-ghettorat-Juana. Maybe a few million pieces of sh*t will make Foxx back off and it'll sure teach these worthless human dirtbags the value of getting off their dead @ss and going to work!
Rio> sick of all the "feel sorry for ME bullshit" Dog
Riodog, quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel. :)

totenhosen
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm HOBOPHOBIC and I hate people begging for money. Get a job. Pasadena has quite a few scamsters. One guy always says he ran out of cash and could use some money to get home. IAfter seeing him do this several times I told him he must be real stupid ebcause he ran out of gas last week. ANother time I told him to meet me at the gas station and I'd fill him up (yeah right). He never showed.