PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Laptop

TRIMM MANN
11-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Anyone have any ideas :confused:
I am looking for a light weight laptop that can access the internet from virtually anywhere. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I just need internet access at a pretty quick speed and I won't always have a landline to plug into.
Been looking in the papers and don't know what to do :hammer2:

WetWillie
11-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I like IBM's look Here! (http://search.ebay.com/IBM-laptop_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacate goryZ-1Q26catrefQ3DC6QQsotrZ2QQsosortpropertyZ1Q26sosort orderQ3D1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentryp ageZsearch)

NashvilleBound
11-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Toshiba or Sony all the way.

Jetdriver
11-10-2004, 11:46 AM
DELL with Intel Centrino! Good prices and you can link in just about anywhere. Take a look! www.dell.com

NastyOne
11-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Go to Overstock.com (www.overstock.com) and see what they have. You'll probably get a better deal. :rollside:

Roxysnow
11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Trim, I just bought a HP dv1000 series for Mila. Make sure it has the LAN 802.11. Also the centrino for wireless internet. The thing is awsome. we were using on our way too and from teh river. I got it at Costco, but Dell has some awsome rebates too. Check your PM.

Roxysnow
11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Go to Overstock.com (www.overstock.com) and see what they have. You'll probably get a better deal. :rollside:
Overstock is awsome just make sure you don't get the refurb junk! Try slickdeals.net

TRIMM MANN
11-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Trim, I just bought a HP dv1000 series for Mila. Make sure it has the LAN 802.11. Also the centrino for wireless internet. The thing is awsome. we were using on our way too and from teh river. I got it at Costco, but Dell has some awsome rebates too. Check your PM.
Kevin,
How much was it as Costco :confused: I got your PM. Will reply later :D

Scream
11-10-2004, 12:27 PM
If you get built in wireless, go for 802.11 G. It's much faster than 802.11 B (by about 10X).
Toshiba has some awsome light weight models available. Jeff Levy, a radio computer geek, hates the dell laptops, says they're cheap imported crap. Might be, I have two (Debbolas and I) and they are good for us. The price was right too...
Go to Best Buys (assholes) or CompUSA (better) and try them out. Take them on a test drive and see how they perform.
Scream

rvrpig
11-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Got mine from Dell...Paid for the most expensive one (only computer in house)
If you do get a dell MAKE SURE to get the 3yr accidental warranty. You could Through it out the window of a moving car and they would replace it for free. I got a dent in the case on my laptop...they not only send me a new case but offered to send some one from Pheonix to Needles to instal it. I wasnt going to make some poor guy drive out here for what I could do...so I said it was ok. BUT THEY OFFERED IT FOR FREE....WORTH THE PRICE AND COMPANY...DELL

uglycstmr
11-10-2004, 01:25 PM
myshinypc.com, they have some good deals as well.

Parker Dreamin
11-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Got mine from Dell...Paid for the most expensive one (only computer in house)
If you do get a dell MAKE SURE to get the 3yr accidental warranty. You could Through it out the window of a moving car and they would replace it for free. I got a dent in the case on my laptop...they not only send me a new case but offered to send some one from Pheonix to Needles to instal it. I wasnt going to make some poor guy drive out here for what I could do...so I said it was ok. BUT THEY OFFERED IT FOR FREE....WORTH THE PRICE AND COMPANY...DELL
As long as you dont have to call there support line you will be fine.... You will be on hold, then once you are off hold you wont be able to understand a word they say,,, then be put back on hold 5 more times because they dont know what they are doing... My .02

rvrpig
11-10-2004, 01:33 PM
I use my express code to cut in line since it is still on warranty...but ya your right about HEAVY accents......hu....lol

Roxysnow
11-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Kevin,
How much was it as Costco :confused: I got your PM. Will reply later :D
I paid $1299. But it has a dvd/rw and all the goodies. I checked today at lunch and I guess all the costco have different items. But the prices are unbeatable.

Parker Dreamin
11-10-2004, 01:47 PM
I use my express code to cut in line since it is still on warranty...but ya your right about HEAVY accents......hu....lol
I have the express code as well...and the original wait time is not too bad.. but they put you on hold so many times because all they do is read from the book......

phebus
11-10-2004, 02:14 PM
As long as you dont have to call there support line you will be fine.... You will be on hold, then once you are off hold you wont be able to understand a word they say,,, then be put back on hold 5 more times because they dont know what they are doing... My .02
I just went through this. Terrible customer service. Offshore in India with someone speaking Indiaglish. Can't understand them. Dell service sucks!!!