PDA

View Full Version : High speed SBC DSL.

HCS
11-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Anyone else have it? Mine has slowed way down considerably since I was first hooked up.
Is it just me. :frown:

Mrs.Racer277
11-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Over the last five years ours has slowed down significantly. :(

Havasu Hangin'
11-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Mine is still smokin'...
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
:cool:

coolchange
11-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Mine hauls, but when it slows down I take my kid out front and give him a rock and say hit that building over there and it knocks it back up to speed. I think I'm about 200 feet from the server.

ssmike
11-11-2004, 08:02 PM
HCS -
Aren't you in Sac....Get Surewest Fiber Optic...
Its well worth the 50 bones. I was getting 8-9 megs/sec up AND DOWN...
Nothing compares at the consumer level right now in the States.

throwerb
11-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Same as it ever was.

HCS
11-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Hmmm.....I'm going to have to get some rocks, run some test and do some research.
When I first got it, it was smokin.

HCS
11-11-2004, 08:11 PM
HCS -
Aren't you in Sac....Get Surewest Fiber Optic...
Its well worth the 50 bones. I was getting 8-9 megs/sec up AND DOWN...
Nothing compares at the consumer level right now in the States.
I'm in an old house that's on copper wire. That was the phone techs last answer. I'm out of the fiber optic range.
How would I be fiber optic if my house is not?

ssmike
11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
I'm in an old house that's on copper wire. That was the phone techs last answer. I'm out of the fiber optic range.
How would I be fiber optic if my house is not?
Call Surewest to see if you are in their "footprint."
If so, they will run fiber from the lines to your house, set up a box, and run inside.
No modems......
I moved to La La land and can't believe how "slow" cable, dsl, t-1(shared), is now....
Fiber will make that speed test say "damn!"

Racer277
11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
We were the first user on the DSLAM covering our neighborhood. Since then it has only gone down hill. Still better than a lot of cable modem's I've seen. No FTTH in this town yet. :umm:

HCS
11-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Call Surewest to see if you are in their "footprint."
If so, they will run fiber from the lines to your house, set up a box, and run inside.
No modems......
I moved to La La land and can't believe how "slow" cable, dsl, t-1(shared), is now....
Fiber will make that speed test say "damn!"
Thanks for the info. Going to make some phone calls. Iv'e herd the Surewest ads. I'll have to check it out.
If SBC can't straighten it out, I'll bail. :lightsabe

Dr. Eagle
11-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Anyone else have it? Mine has slowed way down considerably since I was first hooked up.
Is it just me. :frown:
I sure hope so... I'm getting it next week. $26 vs $52 for Comcast Cable Modem. It's worth a try. :squiggle:

Racer277
11-11-2004, 08:27 PM
If SBC can't straighten it out, I'll bail. :lightsabe
You pay a lot of money for a service that is offered by a lot of companies (although many use some or all of SBC facilities). Let them know you will switch companies to see if that increases their service. Policy is to oversubscribe, and not upgrade equipment until the formula, but loud customers can get equipment upgrades/moves forced. It may be as simple as moving you to a less populate DSLAM. No way to really know how much they have tried to fix the problem though...
Good luck, dealing with SBC is not fun if you don't have an 'inside'.

HCS
11-11-2004, 08:36 PM
You pay a lot of money for a service that is offered by a lot of companies (although many use some or all of SBC facilities). Let them know you will switch companies to see if that increases their service. Policy is to oversubscribe, and not upgrade equipment until the formula, but loud customers can get equipment upgrades/moves forced. It may be as simple as moving you to a less populate DSLAM. No way to really know how much they have tried to fix the problem though...
I've notice mine has gone down hill also. Maybe they can't handle the traffic area I'm in. I'll put your ideas to use. :idea:
Thanks.
I also get tired of the modem crash thing, and repair center to fix it.
I'll log in and it will take me 30 min. to get up and running.
EDIT.

JustMVG
11-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Mine runs up and down, i always run the spyware checker and adaware, and virus stuff so it might be that those are slowing me down just a tad, but overall seems to be ok. MVG
Racer277, Thanks again for your input on my problem....

HCS
11-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Mine runs up and down, i always run the spyware checker and adaware, and virus stuff so it might be that those are slowing me down just a tad, but overall seems to be ok. MVG
Racer277, Thanks again for your input on my problem....
I was wondering if McAfee is slowing my system down. I had a virus crash my computer a while back. I had the virus removed by a buddy of mine and the system seemed fine. He recommended virus protection so I signed up for McAfee. I have no more virus problems but me system is slower. :idea:
It didn't happen at the sametime but I wander if that's what's boggin me down?

Havasu Hangin'
11-11-2004, 09:10 PM
I was wondering if McAfee is slowing my system down. I had a virus crash my computer a while back. I had the virus removed by a buddy of mine and the system seemed fine. He recommended virus protection so I signed up for McAfee. I have no more virus problems but me system is slower. :idea:
It didn't happen at the sametime but I wander if that's what's boggin me down?
Mine was running slow until I cleaned the drive (Adaware SE, too), scanned the disc, then defragged.
What did the DSL test dsay?

Kachina26
11-11-2004, 09:10 PM
My cable has always rocked, never gone down. 2665 down and 235 up. I know that isn't the fastest, but I didn't sign up for the fastest. I still have very low ping times when gaming online.

FRENCHIE
11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Cable....with the cap off...dont tell no one!!! :2purples: ...its instant...my buddy who is a day trader and needs instant hooked me up!!! :wink:

Misogynist
11-11-2004, 09:13 PM
I had SBC DSL... what a pile of crap... I was constantly getting bumped offline... I was typing a long reply to an e-mail... when I was bumped offline and the message was lost.... I was so pissed off I smashed the dsl modem on top of my file cabinet... blew the sh!t out of my operating system... I had to completely reformat my computer... I was so sick and tired of being routed to India for their tech department, I could almost speak like an indian after a while. When I called sbc to disconnect the service, they informed me that there was a 150 dollar penalty for not keeping the service for one year. I told the guy in my best Indian accent... "There is a particular reason I do not want SBC Yahoo service any more"... His Reply?.... " I'm sorry sir... I cannot understand you. I repeated what I said about three times to his same reply... " I cannot understand you."... I then screamed at him in my perfect midwest american accent. THAT IS THE SAME PROBLEM I HAVE WITH YOUR TECH DEPARTMENT IN INDIA!!!!.... He then said that they won't hold me to the contract... ( hee hee heee hee ) I asked him what he wanted me to do with the equipment ( I was sweating it now... since the modem was pulverized)... He tells me... " you've had it longer than three months... just throw it away."... I'm thinking ... " cool "... I tell him in my understandable Indian accent... " Oh very very good.... I'm so glad I don't have to return the modem since it has achieved a higher consciousness and has gone to Krishna"... at this point the guy is laughing his ass off... I never did tell him I smashed the modem... I went to Charter pipeline and it is blistering fast..... 3 mg service. :wink:

Kachina26
11-11-2004, 09:16 PM
That's Funny as all getout!

Dr. Eagle
11-11-2004, 09:26 PM
You now posess Negative Electonic Kharma... :2purples: :hammerhea

Misogynist
11-11-2004, 09:42 PM
You now posess Negative Electonic Kharma... :2purples: :hammerhea
Oh... most assuredly ... I shall drag my computer to the River Ganges and cleanse it's circuits......... and if it doesn't work better.... I'll send it down the river on it's very own funeral pire.... :D

Dr. Eagle
11-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Oh... most assuredly ... I shall drag my computer to the River Ganges and cleanse it's circuits......... and if it doesn't work better.... I'll send it down the river on it's very own funeral pire.... :D
If you bathe it in Cow Manure it will most assuredly be blessed... :D

NorCal Gameshow
11-11-2004, 09:50 PM
we had problems signing on tuesday and wednsday due to "network issues"
i've read where you can blow away all the sbc yahoo software and still connect , it is supposed to be faster. i'll give it a try and let you know how it goes...

HCS
11-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Mine was running slow until I cleaned the drive (Adaware SE, too), scanned the disc, then defragged.
What did the DSL test dsay?
Is this what I should be looking at?
here (http://ttester.broadbandreports.com/tweak/block:4b9f290?service=dsl&speed=&os=&via=normal)
Says it's not a speed test. :confused:

missboatnam1
11-11-2004, 10:22 PM
i dont get it, i have sbc for my phone service, and long distance...but they say they cant hook it up at my location? :frown: :frown:
im paying 150.00 a month for dsl and cable....what a rip off!! :2purples:

HCS
11-11-2004, 10:31 PM
i dont get it, i have sbc for my phone service, and long distance...but they say they cant hook it up at my location? :frown: :frown:
im paying 150.00 a month for dsl and cable....what a rip off!! :2purples:
That's the shit I get.
Your out of range, and I'm in the city!!!
They say I'm out of fiber optic range.

NorCal Gameshow
11-11-2004, 10:46 PM
check this out :messedup:
speed test (http://personal.surewest.com/internet/speed_test.php)

Danhercules
11-11-2004, 11:08 PM
i dont know what the numbers mean. If they are good.
I did to twice.
1- 900 KBPS download
315 KBPS upload,
and teh second time
1238 down
315 up.
Is this good for DSL?

Havasu Hangin'
11-12-2004, 05:00 AM
Is this what I should be looking at?
here (http://ttester.broadbandreports.com/tweak/block:4b9f290?service=dsl&speed=&os=&via=normal)
Says it's not a speed test. :confused:
This (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/1307964;324939;7c654fd4fc69285f6ed250c2c7de518d;2. 0;personal.surewest.com/1100263894) is what I was talking about. The speed test will show data transer rates...it also has lists of the fastest service, and how you compare to other users.
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

NorCal Gameshow
11-12-2004, 08:25 AM
i dont know what the numbers mean. If they are good.
I did to twice.
1- 900 KBPS download
315 KBPS upload,
and teh second time
1238 down
315 up.
Is this good for DSL?
yes that's really good...
i'm about 374 down and 314 up

Mrs.RoxySnow
11-12-2004, 08:31 AM
We've had SBC DSL for a long time now, still works great. I have had a couple of times where my internet connection wasn't available so I just called the SBC DSL Help Desk and they walked me right through fixing it over the phone. If you need the number: (877) 722-3755. Hope it helps! :D

Misogynist
11-12-2004, 09:07 AM
yes that's really good...
i'm about 374 down and 314 up
I'm 2975 down and 768 up.... That is the difference with 3 meg service... but if your computer is slow.... 2975 doesn't seem any faster than 374... so no biggy... it's still so much faster than dial up. I think the fastest I ever got on dial up was about 38 on a 56k modem.... So... 374 is about 7 times faster than you could ever get on a 56k modem... not bad.

NorCal Gameshow
11-12-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm 2975 down and 768 up.... That is the difference with 3 meg service... but if your computer is slow.... 2975 doesn't seem any faster than 374... so no biggy...
yep,kinda like driving a viper with flat tires :frown: :D

It's all Good
11-12-2004, 11:13 AM
You should definitely have SBC look at your line or their setup. Often they will put a cap on the line based on various facors that will limit the speed.
I agree with checking out other DSL providers. I use www.dslextreme.com. They resell SBC DSL, but they manage the connection. I have the 6MB/608KB service from them for $60/month with 5 static IP addresses, price guaranteed to not ever go up. The speeds are really about 5MB/500KB with the TCP overhead on DSL. The service is great, and they are very active on the dslreports.com site.