PDA

View Full Version : flowmaster question

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-11-2004, 08:24 PM
do flowmasters get louder?Someone told me that my newmuffler will "breakin" and get louder. My truck sounds real nice but if it was a little louder it wouldnt bother me;) Just curious.........

Cas
11-11-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm on my 3rd one now and I didn't notice any real difference in the noise level. I did get the new model Flowmaster that's a bit louder than the last one. Sorry, I can't remember the model numbers to help you out more.

dicudmore
11-11-2004, 08:29 PM
do flowmasters get louder?Someone told me that my newmuffler will "breakin" and get louder. My truck sounds real nice but if it was a little louder it wouldnt bother me;) Just curious.........
it'll pretty much stay same same

cola
11-11-2004, 08:33 PM
only steel baffels inside. nothing to break in or down. next time try spin tec http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp

voodoomedman
11-11-2004, 08:41 PM
I've got a flowmaster. Same noise level as day one. If you want louder then you get a lower number of chambers. For instance I have a 3 chamber. If I wanted louder I would have gotten a two chamber.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Never heard a difference in time...

HCS
11-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Huh, I get lots of compliments about the sound of my truck with flow masters.
I don't know if it's actually louder but it sure sounds better.

Squirtin Thunder
11-11-2004, 09:06 PM
The Flowmaster muffler will actually get quieter over time because of carbon biuld-up.

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2004, 10:26 PM
The Flowmaster muffler will actually get quieter over time because of carbon biuld-up.
Now that's some Phunny Sheiat :p
C.T. :wink:

HCS
11-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Now that's some Phunny Sheiat :p
DUH!
After what? 10 years.

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2004, 10:31 PM
DUH!
After what? 10 years.
I guess that all depends on how rich yer runnin :p

HCS
11-11-2004, 10:34 PM
I guess that all depends on how rich yer runnin :p
Must have alot of carbon in his motor. :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Well being that I have a denali with a 6.0 I chose the suv muffler that best suits the motors needs. Its specifically built for the 6.0 motor. Now if I had a 5.3 or 5.7 then I would have chose a 40 series;) Although I id notice a difference in hp with the new muffler an k&n filter. The filter is temp until my cold air intake comes in. That should wake that biotch up;)

Squirtin Thunder
11-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Must have alot of carbon in his motor. :D
That was for the chevy guys !!! :p
Jim

Bad2DBone
11-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Like voodoomedmen said. Get the 2 chamber muffs if you want it loud.
I have the 3 inch in/out 2 chambers on my car and it is pretty loud but it sounds sweet as hell.

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2004, 12:24 AM
You can actually get better milage with the 3 chamber ones with no mesurable amount of performance lose and is a bit quieter.
The 3 chamber BB mufflers are the quietest ones they make and they flow OK, but they are huge !!!
Jim

Bad2DBone
11-12-2004, 12:36 AM
I have also read on my Olds power BB that they have a 1 chamber case out now. So I would bet those are louder then hell. But there are so many styles of flowmasters to choose from as well besides just the number of chambers.

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2004, 12:43 AM
On my '91 4x4 duelly with the 7.5L (460) the standard 3 chamber 3" muffler gets the best gas milage and is the quietest muffler that I have tried. Dyno max, Magnaflow Dynomax flow directed, BB 3 chamber flowmaster, 2 chamber 3" flowmaster, and the dynomax ultra flow 3".
Jim
On my race truck I have the 3 1/2" dyno Max Bullets they are 16" long, small and compacked.

Bad2DBone
11-12-2004, 12:52 AM
I have heard the bullets are a very nice muff. I have also heard that the Borla XR-1 are the shit.

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2004, 12:59 AM
I have heard the bullets are a very nice muff. I have also heard that the Borla XR-1 are the shit.
Freebees so I am very happy with them. They do cut about 15 -20 dbs off which is nice. The 3 1/2" pipe helps cut the dbs also. Its not so raspy that way.

HighRoller
11-12-2004, 01:02 AM
When Flowmaster began, they pretty much had the two chamber and three chamber designs and that was it. Now, the biggest impact on sound is the series of muffler you get. I have a 50 series Delta Flow and it sounds nice but resonates inside the truck. It's supposed to have a "tuning chamber" to stop that, but oh well. It's the 17" model, and if you want to go quieter you could get a 70 series truck/RV model that is 22" long and has more baffling. Also, they make an inline resonator chamber that comes with the cat back systems that cuts down on internal noise. The last factor is exhaust design. Unknown to most, an average Truck/Suv will benefit more from a large single 3" system than a dual 2.5". I'd say a 70 series muff with a single 3" cat back and headers is the way to get a clean sounding rig without too much interior noise.
As far as the noise increase, the only time I've ever noticed a difference is after the muffler gets "hot". (Prolonged freeway driving)

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2004, 01:08 AM
When Flowmaster began, they pretty much had the two chamber and three chamber designs and that was it. Now, the biggest impact on sound is the series of muffler you get. I have a 50 series Delta Flow and it sounds nice but resonates inside the truck. It's supposed to have a "tuning chamber" to stop that, but oh well. It's the 17" model, and if you want to go quieter you could get a 70 series truck/RV model that is 22" long and has more baffling. Also, they make an inline resonator chamber that comes with the cat back systems that cuts down on internal noise. The last factor is exhaust design. Unknown to most, an average Truck/Suv will benefit more from a large single 3" system than a dual 2.5". I'd say a 70 series muff with a single 3" cat back and headers is the way to get a clean sounding rig without too much interior noise.
As far as the noise increase, the only time I've ever noticed a difference is after the muffler gets "hot". (Prolonged freeway driving)
The Heat shield helps quite a bit on the interior sound !!!!
Jim

HighRoller
11-12-2004, 01:44 AM
Really? I was thinking about getting a 70 series but maybe I'll try the heat shield first.

Havasubum
11-12-2004, 02:01 AM
ive got the flowmaster 1 chamber and that thing sounds good

Bad2DBone
11-12-2004, 02:56 AM
ive got the flowmaster 1 chamber and that thing sounds good
What do you have it on?

Uplink
11-12-2004, 03:19 AM
Haven't noticed any change in mine. BTW, I had the 50 series at first, but it was too annoying (for me). After a week of that, I switched to the 70 series and love the smoother sound.
Mark

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2004, 07:05 AM
The little 3 chamber 3" muffler gets better gas milage than the BB 3 chamber or the Dynomax ultraflow and is quieter inside the truck.
Jim

cc322
11-12-2004, 07:30 AM
I have always used gibson, and over time they seem like they get throatier, but never to loud. Sounds just right for me

dave186
11-12-2004, 07:37 AM
i have dual 2 1/2 in out 40 series 2 chambers on my truck and its not very loud, but it does resonate in the cab at certain RPMs which gets annoying. and no the sound never changed, they have about 40,000 miles on them now.
i want to go with the smallest case magnaflows and cut out the 4 cats i now and have and go to 2 hi flow cats then have the exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels.

surfer2001
11-12-2004, 08:02 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1498Sema_Show_194.jpg
This is my business, if you want mufflers that adds performance go with us. Nobody else has the data to match. We dyno every system, and we cover every type of vehicle, trucks, imports, & domestic cars gas and diesel. I won’t knock the competition, because we like having others to compare too. Oh, by the way we make mufflers for Gipson, and many others.
www.magnaflow.com (http://www.magnaflow.com)

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2004, 09:05 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1498Sema_Show_194.jpg
This is my business, if you want mufflers that adds performance go with us. Nobody else has the data to match. We dyno every system, and we cover every type of vehicle, trucks, imports, & domestic cars gas and diesel. I won’t knock the competition, because we like having others to compare too. Oh, by the way we make mufflers for Gipson, and many others.
www.magnaflow.com (http://www.magnaflow.com)
Now this is quite interesting. But I will say performance wise your mufflers are the shit!!! But on my application the 3 chamber Flowmaster 3" standard muffler has given me the best all around performance; milage, throttle responce, lowend torque, and midrange pull !!! Hell I have spent a lot of $$$$ trying to find the best set-up and that is what I have found.
My $ .02
Jim

Sleek-Jet
11-12-2004, 09:43 AM
I've ran Flowmaster systems on several of my vehicles. The first was the BB series (70 series) cat back on my 89 F250 w/460. Really quiet and fit like it came with the truck. For a daily driven street truck they would be my choice.
I put the American Thunder (OG Flowmaster 3 chambers) system on my Cutlass when I did the engine swap and same deal, very nice fit and they sound awesome. Very little interior resonance but it sounds sweet with the windows down.
Both times I fit the system with the clamps, then drove around a little to make sure I like it. A quick trip to the muffler shop to weld everything up and both install looked costom.
Since I live in dry country, I don't wory about the extra expense of the stainless steel systems. Magnaflow has nice systems, but I don't care for the sound over the flowmasters.

surfer2001
11-12-2004, 09:48 AM
I’m glad to hear that you found a setup that works for you. Just for my info, how did you measure your increases? Did you use a dyno, or some other scientific equipment? We’ve test many of the competitions stuff and the results always show a drop in HP and torque from OEM. We’re the only one that has wide open flow, no baffles what so ever. The idea is to improve flow, by reducing restrictions.

HighRoller
11-12-2004, 09:57 AM
I agree. I bought my first set of "black suitcase" Flowmasters back in 1990 for my Camaro and have never even considered using anything else since. Every other company has tried, but they will never beat the simplicity, durability and sound you get. Everything else sounds like a glasspack compared to them.

Havasubum
11-12-2004, 10:25 AM
What do you have it on?
ive got it on a 96 suburban 454, and a 95 f-350 460

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-12-2004, 11:47 AM
mufflers that use glass to silence will burn out over time, no getting around that. Even your OEM factory muffler will get louder over time. I personally run a flowmaster delta force 40 series muffler 3" in dual 2.5" out turned out just before the passenger side rear tire on my 5.3L sierra(nascar style). It sounds great and the delta force seems to be a little quieter than the regular 40 series. I had a flowmaster on my 96 T/A and it would hummm your teeth out at 2000 rpm. you couldn't even talk to someone else it was so bad. the delta force seems to be much better on my truck. some resonance but not as bad. I have had the muffler for 2 years and get nothing but compliments. the delta force has a much more hollow sound kinda like what flows sound like on a mustang. I highly recommend the delta force flows.
Omega

Sleek-Jet
11-12-2004, 12:42 PM
I’m glad to hear that you found a setup that works for you. Just for my info, how did you measure your increases? Did you use a dyno, or some other scientific equipment? We’ve test many of the competitions stuff and the results always show a drop in HP and torque from OEM. We’re the only one that has wide open flow, no baffles what so ever. The idea is to improve flow, by reducing restrictions.
I removed the restrictive Olds 350 and put a free flowing 455 in it's place. I didn't really see the need to go verify my gains on the dyno. :D
I don't race the car, so every nth of a percentage of a horsepower gain by spending 1200.00 on an exhaust doesn't interest me, nor is it practicle. I like the way it sounds and looks. Like I said, I looked at magnaflow but the flowmaster had a better system for my needs and within my budget.

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Now this is quite interesting. But I will say performance wise your mufflers are the shit!!! But on my application the 3 chamber Flowmaster 3" standard muffler has given me the best all around performance; milage, throttle responce, lowend torque, and midrange pull !!! Hell I have spent a lot of $$$$ trying to find the best set-up and that is what I have found.
The way I tell is my ass and my factory gauges. I drive a very lot so on the road coming from NC to the NV area is makes it easy to let the computor make the changes necassary to get the best overall milage and set-up. I have made the trip once a month for two years so I think I have a good base to stand on. I have done it loaded and unloaded. After each change the truck was tuned and cylinder presur was checked. I am getting ready to do another test real soon. This time I will be running 3 1/2" pipe and a 3 1/2" flowmaster 3 chamber muffler. BTW - no Cat. My best mileage came from the Dynomax flow directed HD turbo mufller. But the power was just not quite there. I have two tanks 18.9 and the other 19.3 and the average milage was per tank was 320 miles. That is doing something with a 4x4 extended cab full size duell wheel truck with a 7.5L (460). But I do understand that quality of gas elivation air density and a but load of other things play into it. But as an average person tests I am right on.
Sorry
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2004, 02:02 PM
My magnaflow muffler was the most tire squeeling muffler that I had on my big ass truck. It also was the biggest one I ever put on the truck. And the most expensive. But they sure rock for all out performance. The gas milage just wasn't there. Dynomax is one of my off-road sponsors and I am choosing to pay fora new muffler to get the best out of my truck than a free one. I am just stating my findings.
Jim