PDA

View Full Version : Verizon?

Seadog
11-12-2004, 04:29 PM
I was OK with Cingular buying out AT&T wireless, but was not expecting the DOJ to tell them to sell all AT&T assets in this area. I have a great 2 year contract and was not wanting to go elsewhere as Cingular has a lot service around the state. I was told today that Verizon, who has no coverage in OK, has the inside track on taking over my service. They have not been able to serve OK because of the limit on the number of carriers allowed and want in. I went to their web site and they have great coverage, but a lot of fine print about charging a fortune if you get in a non-coverage spot. They also seem to be very expensive on their plans and I have concern about what happens when my contract is over. Anyone have experience with them? pro or con.

GHTRIM
11-12-2004, 04:36 PM
I was OK with Cingular buying out AT&T wireless, but was not expecting the DOJ to tell them to sell all AT&T assets in this area. I have a great 2 year contract and was not wanting to go elsewhere as Cingular has a lot service around the state. I was told today that Verizon, who has no coverage in OK, has the inside track on taking over my service. They have not been able to serve OK because of the limit on the number of carriers allowed and want in. I went to their web site and they have great coverage, but a lot of fine print about charging a fortune if you get in a non-coverage spot. They also seem to be very expensive on their plans and I have concern about what happens when my contract is over. Anyone have experience with them? pro or con.
Its funny you have this concern because I was just discussing it with my Cingular rep yesterday at lunch. I believe you will continue to have the same company the deal is (to my understanding) AT&T / Cingular have to (per the FCC) sell some of their towers, equip. etc. Not the accounts. I'm also told most of the towers / equip being sold are the ones that will not necessarilly effect your service. They are required to sell because they are close to being a monopoly. In short... you should be alright and will probably not notice any changes. :wink:

ChumpChange
11-12-2004, 04:37 PM
I have them and am really happy with them. Just make sure that you call them and get the IN NETWORK plan which does not have any roaming charges or long distance that you seem to be worried about.

GHTRIM
11-12-2004, 04:38 PM
The reason I was asking about Oklahoma is because I go to Miami / Vinita to visit family pretty often and I need to maintain service for my job.

Kilrtoy
11-12-2004, 04:38 PM
I was about to opt out of cingular and get Verizon.
Well i guess they are now sharing towers. CINand ATT, DAMN I get service everywhere now , even in places where it was dead a few months ago. I am so happy, I just saved a ton of money by not switching. Sorry to hear about what happened to you S.D......

GHTRIM
11-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Yea, definately the way to go is Cingular. Their equipment is awesome. I use the Treo 600 myself and love it. I can post on the boards anywhere, and that's only one of many things it will do. The new Treo 750(?) will have video capability.

Seadog
11-12-2004, 04:46 PM
For AT&T customers in N. central OK, OKC and north, they have to sell the customers too. I am not too sure, but I think that they also may have to dump Cingular customers/assets too, as I would have to go to Tulsa to get Cingular service. Personally, I think this is wrong and I hate it, but having to drive an hour to get service is not on my list either.

Froggystyle
11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
I have been a Verizon user since late 1995. Expensive, yes. Best coverage? Yes.
I have also left four times without cancelling my plan to try other plans. Tried Cingular, T-mobile, Nextel and Sprint. None even KIND OF compared to the coverage, especially at the river. The problem with Verizon is, the phone customer service sucks, they will cut you no breaks regardless of what your complaint is, and they are expensive. In addition, they are pretty far behind on the bling meter. The other companies have much cooler phones with more features IMO.
The worst thing is, if you go into a branch, the manager has ZERO power. They are phoning the phone support too.
In any case, I am still with Verizon going on 9 years. I don't see switching. In fact, I just rogered up for their new wireless broadband internet plan. Works great, and I have canceled my Starbucks T-mobile Hotspot plan because of it.
Hope this helps.

MsDrmr
11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
I am in CA and I will tell you, Verizon has been nothing but a pain in my side since the day I signed with them. I will NOT renew my contract when the time is up. The main reason I went with Veriozon to have mobile to mobile with the mr when his work went to them...and like I said, it's been overcharges, adding hrs to my bill, not looking at the mobile to mobile contract and so forth. We had Cingular for five happy years...now this :mad:

BarryMac
11-12-2004, 06:50 PM
My Verizon worked pretty good until I went swimming today in San Viscente with my phone in my pocket, now no worky so good...

MAINEVENT
11-12-2004, 06:54 PM
I was about to opt out of cingular and get Verizon.
Well i guess they are now sharing towers. CINand ATT, DAMN I get service everywhere now , even in places where it was dead a few months ago. I am so happy, I just saved a ton of money by not switching. Sorry to hear about what happened to you S.D......
Thats funny i had cingular and it was good then they merged and i also got service everywhere (really good)but these past 2 weeks has sucked calls dropped left and right :lightsabe i am hoping its because they are working on something here cause this is reallt starting to piss me off :boxingguy :lightsabe