PDA

View Full Version : Yes it can get more stupider, Police use Stun gun on 6yr old

JustMVG
11-12-2004, 09:19 PM
MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Police used a stun gun on a 6-year-old boy in his principal's office because he was wielding a piece of glass and threatening to hurt himself, officials said Thursday.
The boy, who was not identified, was shocked with 50,000 volts on October 20 at Kelsey Pharr Elementary School.
Principal Maria Mason called 911 after the child broke a picture frame in her office and waved a piece of glass, holding a security guard back.
When two Miami-Dade County police officers and a school officer arrived, the boy had already cut himself under his eye and on his hand.
The officers talked to the boy without success. When the boy cut his own leg, one officer shocked him with a Taser and another grabbed him to prevent him from falling, police said.
He was treated and taken to a hospital, where he was committed for psychiatric evaluation.
"By using the Taser, we were able to stop the situation, stop him from hurting himself," police spokesman Juan DelCastillo told The Miami Herald.
The case was under review.

switchin'addiction
11-12-2004, 09:31 PM
What wussies. I'm sorry, but come on...a 6yr old??

rvrjunkie
11-12-2004, 09:31 PM
The stun gun did a lot less damage to the kid than the glass woud have if he continued to cut himself.

C-2
11-12-2004, 09:36 PM
At least they didn't hit him with a bean bag gun - those things don't always work as planned.
way to go

Bre
11-12-2004, 09:36 PM
The stun gun did a lot less damage to the kid than the glass woud have if he continued to cut himself.
True ... if my kid was dumb enough to cut herself go ahead and stun her dumb ass :rolleyes: Kids got problems :frown: so sad :frown:

hoolign
11-12-2004, 09:43 PM
True ... if my kid was dumb enough to cut herself go ahead and stun her dumb ass :rolleyes: Kids got problems :frown: so sad :frown:
no shit...some kids have some strange issues!

switchin'addiction
11-12-2004, 09:46 PM
But if they were able to get close enough to the kid to hit him with a stun gun, couldn't they have just grabbed an arm to control the hand with the glass in it? :confused: Not disagreeing with anyone I just don't see why they couldn't control a 6yr old any other way??

IN2MX
11-12-2004, 09:48 PM
I can't believe that nobody thought of this already...
:220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v:
Lord, please forgive me and be with the starvin' pigmies down there in New Guinea....Amen!

Bre
11-12-2004, 09:49 PM
But if they were able to get close enough to the kid to hit him with a stun gun, couldn't they have just grabbed an arm to control the hand with the glass in it? :confused: Not disagreeing with anyone I just don't see why they couldn't control a 6yr old any other way??
Don't know... guess you really can't say anything unless you saw it happen. Maybe they were afraid of getting cut or him cutting himself? Who knows how the kid was holding it. I think the stun gun makes you lose control of your muscles.... the electronic charge takes over all your muscle control. As a parent I would not be mad if they used a stun gun on my kid, but then again I hope that I am raising my kids right and they don't ever do something like that at age 6 :confused:

switchin'addiction
11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Ignore my babbling...I reread the article & it makes a little more sense now. He was probably waving it at someone so the other officer basically took control when he wasn't looking.
I probably could have used a good zap or two when I was still in school, so I can see the use of it. :D

Bre
11-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Ignore my babbling...I reread the article & it makes a little more sense now. I probably could have used a good zap or two when I was still in school.
:p You prob still can/could :wink:

switchin'addiction
11-12-2004, 09:53 PM
:p You prob still can/could :wink:
Oh probably so, but couldn't we all??? :wink:

C-2
11-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Agreed.
One thing for certain; this is gonna cost the Sheriff's dept and school district some coin.
More taxpayers money gone down the drain, while the good ole' boys pat each other on the back for a job well done. :yuk:

Bre
11-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Oh probably so, but couldn't we all??? :wink:
:devil: :D Yep...most of us anyways :wink:

Bre
11-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Agreed.
One thing for certain; this is gonna cost the Sheriff's dept and school district some coin.
More taxpayers money gone down the drain, while the good ole' boys pat each other on the back for a job well done. :yuk:
People are so f-en sue happy.... they need to get a f-en life :notam: And let the police do their job :notam:

switchin'addiction
11-12-2004, 09:59 PM
:devil: :D Yep...most of us anyways :wink:
That's just what I thought? :wink:

Bre
11-12-2004, 10:01 PM
:idea: :D

Kilrtoy
11-12-2004, 10:06 PM
maybe they should call some hot boaters and let them get cut and hurt then sued.
Noone knows how this 6 year old is and im sure they did everything they could to prevent this, but some times you have to do what is necessary

Bre
11-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Guess none of you have ever been in a situation with a stark-raving six year old. Sounds to me like he was trying to take the principal hostage(maybe she was his type) and when he was cornered he decided he wasn't going to be taken alive! The officers put their lives on the line dealing with that potential future mass murderer. Should have called in the 'swat team' and 'taken him out"! OR, they could've gotten one of his 'teddy bears' and negotiated a "hostage trade". LOL
Rio
OK :squiggle: :( :D

switchin'addiction
11-12-2004, 10:14 PM
maybe they should call some hot boaters and let them get cut and hurt then sued.
Noone knows how this 6 year old is and im sure they did everything they could to prevent this, but some times you have to do what is necessary
Agreed.

73kona455
11-12-2004, 10:29 PM
A tazer like the article said was used shoots 2 electrodes from across the room , they stick into the subject and then voltage is applied... no need to be real close

C-2
11-12-2004, 10:36 PM
He's a six year old.
Stun gun - how many adults die after getting jolted?
Sounds like a bad decision on part of the officers. Like I said, this one will be swept under the carpet. No trial, just how much do you want to shut up and go away.

switchin'addiction
11-12-2004, 10:37 PM
A tazer like the article said was used shoots 2 electrodes from across the room , they stick into the subject and then voltage is applied... no need to be real close
Gotcha...obviously I'm not that familiar with them.

Kilrtoy
11-12-2004, 10:37 PM
does anyone know if they ever pulled the trigger or is everyone just ASS/U/ME ing

Misogynist
11-12-2004, 10:38 PM
I have to wonder where a 6 yr old got the idea to create such "drama"?.... "I'm going to hold myself hostage until I get the PRIZE I WANT in my Happy meal.".. sheesh... :yuk:

JustMVG
11-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Where'd the kid even get the idea of cutting himself, thats a serious Psyche issue that usually shows up later in life like in the mid to late teens.
If it turns out to be a video game or some movie that gets blamed i am hunting down the parents.

Misogynist
11-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Where'd the kid even get the idea of cutting himself, thats a serious Psyche issue that usually shows up later in life like in the mid to late teens.
If it turns out to be a video game or some movie that gets blamed i am hunting down the parents.
It's probably something the kid saw on TV.... The little bastard probably thought he could get what he wanted by imitating what he saw on some drama. Give him some twinkees and a loaded gun... problem solved. :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
11-12-2004, 10:48 PM
I am wondering what bothers me more :mad: a 6 year old child who has these kinds of thoughts in their mind and need to act them out :mad: or adults not able to control the situation and having to take severe steps to stop him :mad:

JustMVG
11-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Are Mommy and Daddy so clueless as to what the kid is into??

JetBoatRich
11-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Maybe they should get a little Stun Gun action :hammer2: :hammer2:

78Anthonyjet
11-12-2004, 10:57 PM
I saw a ten year old boy last week threatining to jump off the roof of his school. What could be so bad in the life of a ten year old that he would think of jumping off of a freaking roof. Pretty sad. S.F.F.D. got him down, no injuries to the kid, fought the fireguys all the way from the roof to the ambulance. Fire did a great job.

Misogynist
11-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Mommy and Daddy probably had Junior to accessorize their empty lives... Now they expect their baby sitter named "Sony" to raise him. I witnessed my ex-girlfriend raise her two sons by "directive".... She didn't have a relationship with her children... she just told them what to do all the time.... :hammer2: People who have any compassion about raising their children should probably get some instruction before they arrive. I've never seen a baby come with an owner's manual that is good for 18 years.... :burningm:

C-2
11-12-2004, 11:00 PM
I am wondering what bothers me more :mad: a 6 year old child who has these kinds of thoughts in their mind and need to act them out :mad: or adults not able to control the situation and having to take severe steps to stop him :mad:
Same here.
Tough call for sure, I would also think mace (if it was available) was a less lethal alternative for the officers, especially on a child.

Misogynist
11-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Same here.
Tough call for sure, I would also think mace (if it was available) was a less lethal alternative for the officers, especially on a child.
Roflmao... Mace him Joe... then cuff his a$$... we're running him in on a domestic violence charge....... lmao......... :rollside:

C-2
11-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Roflmao... Mace him Joe... then cuff his a$$... we're running him in on a domestic violence charge....... lmao......... :rollside:
There we go..a new reality tv show. Kid Cops.

Kilrtoy
11-12-2004, 11:12 PM
does anyone know if they ever pulled the trigger or is everyone just ASS/U/ME ing
No answers

C-2
11-12-2004, 11:21 PM
No answers
"The boy, who was not identified, was shocked with 50,000 volts on October 20 at Kelsey Pharr Elementary School."
Granted, most news stories are about as accurate as weather forecasts.

Kilrtoy
11-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Thats prety dam acurate
IF
You live in the Sahara

Kilrtoy
11-12-2004, 11:25 PM
What ever happened to the day when the police kicked your ass, your parents kicked your ass, the next door neighbor got some action and then they called your grandparents to come and get some and then your dad kicked it again.
Those were the good ole days

JustMVG
11-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Gives new maening to "BadBoys" whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do....
Miogynist agree totally w ya, mama sony is a terrible mom, no morals no time outs and will tell you everything you WANT to hear.

C-2
11-12-2004, 11:39 PM
"wotifs" and "likwens" - two answers a college professor never accepted.
And the good ole days...
I was in 3rd grade and my teacher was kicking the crap out of all of us. She nearly picked me off the ground by my ear, dropped me then slapped me in the face. Just another day for her and us other students.
I came home injured one day and when confronted about it - her reasoning was she was raised by her brothers and an abusive father, and that's the way they did things.
They "talked" to her about it and that was the end of it (yeah, all my other 3rd grade classmates owe me some frosty's). She taught there for many years, maybe even thru the current date.
No lawsuit, do disciplinary action or "on paid leave pending an administrative inquiry".
Just a part of life growing up as a kid and we moved on.
Nowadays though...

JustMVG
11-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Same here, got the paddle, got the stand in the corner holding dictionaries until i thought i was going to die, i turned out ok, some capitol punishment is ok in schools sorry thats my take it worked for me and others who were smartasses or trouble makers, too bad the teachers today have to deal with the harshness of youth today, far more brutal then anything i ever saw in my times, long for the good ole days? me yeah i wish my kids could grow up able to go outside and not worry about anything except just being a kid and having fun... Aint that whats growing up is supposed to be about?!
Then you make enough to have your "older folks Toys" like most of us do, boats bikes RV's some have planes, we grew up causing a little havoc here and there but how many of us here on the boards are really problem adults, o boy i opened that door up , darn i'm sorry.... Mikey

C-2
11-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Same here, got the paddle, got the stand in the corner holding dictionaries until i thought i was going to die, i turned out ok, some capitol punishment is ok in schools sorry thats my take it worked for me and others who were smartasses or trouble makers, too bad the teachers today have to deal with the harshness of youth today, far more brutal then anything i ever saw in my times, long for the good ole days? me yeah i wish my kids could grow up able to go outside and not worry about anything except just being a kid and having fun... Aint that whats growing up is supposed to be about?!
Then you make enough to have your "older folks Toys" like most of us do, boats bikes RV's some have planes, we grew up causing a little havoc here and there but how many of us here on the boards are really problem adults, o boy i opened that door up , darn i'm sorry.... Mikey
Hey, we're all a bunch of hell-raising, law breaking illegal boaters who can't splle, reed or rite.
Everybody knows us hell-raising types hang out on the computer on friday nights!!! Whoo hooo, wait till' Saturday. Things get really funky on here then! lol
That reminds me, add Geritol to the grocery list for tomorrow :eek: :eek:

JustMVG
11-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Yeah it's time to take my meds, get my sleep and sart my slow suicide once again tomorrow, i guess god doesn't want me yet, thats ok i'm not really ready to meet up with him just yet..... Night all, See ya tomorrow.... MV, whats my last letter? damn alzheimers.... oh yeah got it it's G :p

Seadog
11-13-2004, 08:25 AM
I saw the story and it said the police thought of several ways to subdue the kid, but they all had risks. I think that the taser has adjustments as to power levels. It worked, no one was hurt and the kid is psychiatric care. I think the cops did a difficult job well and I hope a bunch of sleaze bag lawyers don't try to second guess them for big money.

LOWRIVER2
11-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Well, I have a little experience with these things
Been hit 3 times with Taser Intl. Model. It's the one used by most PD's in the US.
I was part of the cadre that trained LAPD on these in 02
1. They put you down ( but,as with all less lethal), most of the time
2. NO ONE has EVER died as a direct result of the TASER Intl. guns, all ME reports on deaths after a someone being "tased" have gone to something involving the fact that the deceased was under the influence (read: all that died were) The drug most often was cocaine. People that have died after being restrained via physical force or less lethal devices usually die from Positional Asphyxiation. This usually involves a suspect being placed on his stomach in a patrol car and he basically suffocates under his own weight or has a heart attack due to the fact his body could'nt handle the drug plus the adrenaline jump/blood pressure increase of a struggle and the fact the person is in a bad physical state prior to the ingestion of the drug/physical altercation. And yes, cops are aware and special steps are now taken to keep suspects off their stomachs and medical care is always sought after the use of force, including the use of a taser.
3. OC is a lot more effective than mace, however it gets everywhere and FBI studies show the effectivness of a taser is still higher than OC in overcoming agrressive/combative resistance without any extra harm to the suspect or officers.
4. Before someone here asks the question, No Taser has ever stopped a PaceMaker. We don't use it if we find out the suspect has one (not likely that will happen).
5. It's not the volts that stop you, it's the amps/watts. All stun guns run 50,000 volts, the increase in watts means that this taser locks up your motor nerves in your muscles. You virtually stop moving and fall. It definately hurts but the pain goes away within five minutes and the cuts from the tiny darts that go in actually coterize themselves upon impact due to the voltage. Only paramedics or doctors remove the darts.
We use the taser from 3-12ft. which is the same for OC. Bean bags are for distances of 33ft. to 60ft.
And for all the communist,paranoid anti govt. types who fear we use these unreported as torture devices, rest assured:
The dart containers have over 100 tiny dots of paper in each dart case that have the serial number of each dart. When the dart is deployed, these dots fly out and are all over the ground. No one can pick all of them up and the Taser gun has a chip embedded in it that can tell each time the gun's trigger is pressed. Only IA has the software to read the guns.
The dart is powered by nitrogen, not gun powder which is why these tasers meet FAA approval to be carried on any plane.
Based on my training, being at scene on many "tases" and reviewing over 100 successful deployments of the new Taser, I see no problem of deploying this weapon based on what was printed in the paper.
I can say with much experience that the paper only scratches the surface of what actually happened and of course, the user must take special precautions when deploying this on a juvenile, senior citizen. The only person we don't tase is a pregnant woman,and that is ONLY because of the risk that she would fall on the baby, not the shock effect of the taser.
Before some wiseass takes a shot, yes, we've had pregnant suspects run at us with machetes and shoot at us, so don't go there, thankyou.
As for the city to pay out, here's an update:
ALL City Attorneys' pay, welcome to America
It's part of the cycle of litigation in America. The family of a guy who shot 4 people in a MacDonald's gets some money just like the family of a person shot in a "questionable" shooting. So that concern is null. That is standard on ALL police shootings.
P.S.
Footnote,
Between 01 and 02, over 4,000 officers were shot with the taser for a full 5 seconds (full length of one pull) and only ONE was able to crawl ten feet to touch a wall with one hand. All the others fell where they were hit. The guy who crawled said he could'nt have hurt anyone but only crawled to win a bet: an extra free day in Cancun on his trip. The guy was from Alaska so that was a damn good incentive.
My point, these things do a good job of immobilizing aggressive/combative suspects without leaving any permanent injury which leads to LESS litigation/payout and less injuries to suspects and officers.
I call that a GOOD thing.

repo man
11-13-2004, 01:32 PM
pepper spray hurst like hell for 2 or 3 days. i'll take the taser and be thankfull
:220v: :220v: :220v:

MudPumper
11-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Great post LowRiver. People need to take into consideration that police act to stop a threat. A threat being a person who may cause injury to themselves or others. The threat can be a 6yr old, a 36yr old or a 96yr old. No matter the age, they are a threat and are dealt with accordingly. Not knowing the full circumstances of the incident here I think the officers did a great job. They probably had 3 viable options in this case. Restrain the child by hand, which may lead to somebody getting cut. Deploy OC in an enclosed room wich would be effective on the child but would also effect anybody in the room. Or in this case deploy the taser resulting in subduing the child without any further injury to anybody involved. Although it's unfortunate to have to deal with a 6yr old in this state, I say good job to the officers involved.

JustMVG
11-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Got my first Neg Point thanks, Although had the person read the First "Stupider" thread not started by me by the way that person would have seen the reason i put that word, which in reality is not a word, but i knew that . If you give negative and do not have the answer yourself whats the point, of even giving it, don't want to sign it, i don't care, the whole point thing is silly anyway, but have the Cajones' to sign your stuff.

boatnam2
11-13-2004, 02:15 PM
cops cant win kid parents get million if they stun him and 2 million if they dont and he harms himself.

Havaparty
11-13-2004, 02:16 PM
I can't believe a 6 year old would even do something like that. Parents?
What's up!!! When I was six all I was worried about was recess and nap time.
I wonder where he learned that.

boatnam2
11-13-2004, 02:37 PM
no kidding probaly should of zapped his parents why they were at it.

rvrtoy
11-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Are you f**king kidding me. A six year old. Oh wait a minute, Dade County Police. What do you expect? They don't know how to vote on a punch card system, what makes you think they know how to control a six year old?

C-2
11-13-2004, 05:53 PM
cops cant win kid parents get million if they stun him and 2 million if they dont and he harms himself.
Very true and good point. :)

cigarette1
11-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Are you f**king kidding me. A six year old. Oh wait a minute, Dade County Police. What do you expect? They don't know how to vote on a punch card system, what makes you think they know how to control a six year old?
I'm with you .... a 6 year old. Everybody go outside and find a 6 year old ... look at them and tell me there was no better way.
What difference do you think it would have made if a person found a way to subdue the kid that would have resulted in someone holding them until they calmed down ... versus ... knowing you were brought down by the police with a taser at 6.
Flame away
p.s. parents have very little CONTROL of what their kids can or may do.

K9Blitz
11-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Find a six year old, give him a sharp piece of glass, have him cut himself then threaten to cut himself again, stand several feet back, ready GO!
-they jump and grab the kid, he cuts himself: Bad
-they jump and grab the kid, he cuts an officer: Bad
-they jump and grab the kid, both get cut: Bad
-they jump and grab the kid, risk injury, but get the
glass away and subdue him: Good
I don't like those odds.
No injuries to the kid, cops, or bystanders and the kid got the psychiatric help he needed. And the problem is....
Many folks are unfamiliar with the new generation taser and most likely compare it to the one used on Rodney King. The new ones are great. I've taken a jolt from one and think it is going to become a common tool in law enforcement. The thought of tasing a kid may be "shocking" for lack of a better word, but the fact stands that nobody got hurt and the kid got help.

C-2
11-13-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm with you .... a 6 year old. Everybody go outside and find a 6 year old ... look at them and tell me there was no better way.
What difference do you think it would have made if a person found a way to subdue the kid that would have resulted in someone holding them until they calmed down ... versus ... knowing you were brought down by the police with a taser at 6.
Flame away
p.s. parents have very little CONTROL of what their kids can or may do.
No flame here, I agree.

C-2
11-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Tough scene, no doubt.
I guess it's a news story though since on it's face, sits wrong with a few people, myself included. A 6 year old is a 6 year old. Personally I don't know how any parent could do something like that.
As said before, whatever happened to the good ole' days when getting roughed up on the job came with the territory? :rolleyes:

Misogynist
11-13-2004, 09:34 PM
What the hell is up with the parents?... Children don't do sh!t like that out of the blue.. there had to be "signs"... What other kind of BS has the kid been up to, to lead to this?... I'm sure the parents don't put any boundaries on the kid's behavior.. that is why he thinks he can do sh!t like this and get away with it... I'd think that "stunts" like this are an everyday occurance in the home of this little monster... I'm sorry... I don't have much patience for the parents that let a little problem grow into a huge deal like this. I was assaulted by two little twin monsters on a homesite years ago.. These little bastards looked like "Howdy Doody"... only with evil grins... I got stabbed in the back with a cut off sliver of lumber by one of them... then threatened that I would be killed by their father's knife.. I got so fed up that I took duct tape and taped their arms to their sides and taped them back to back and put them under a tree in the front yard. I thought their mother was going to call the police when she got home... Instead she laughed at them and said " You must have pissed someone off"..... The only person that these two little monsters had any respect for was their older sister... She wouldn't take any of their crap... She used to back-hand them when they came close. She was only about 14 and these monsters were 6 at the time. :eek: I used to scan the news looking for their names listed as bank robbers or something for years... :hammerhea

tewfiddy1
11-13-2004, 11:01 PM
The X26 Taser is the best thing to use in these situations. But did they drive stun the 6 yr old or did they deploy the Taser probes. If they can get close enough to drive stun him, then yes the Taser was a bit excessive, but I doubt they did drive stun him. I have arrested and seen arrested many of 6yr olds for Arson, Robbery, Burglary, and even Car thefts. They arent as innocent as they once were. especially when they are taking guns into the elementary schools now. I have been Tased and have used the Taser many times. One time for a criminal and he does not want it again. You can control the time you activate the Taser with a flip of a switch. I doubt the 6 yr old took the whole five seconds. The Taser does not work on the same electrical path your body does. That is the reason for the safety of the Taser to use. Our departmental policy on the Taser is you issue Verbal commands to the criminal and when non complience is an issue, then the Taser is a appropriate tool to use if the situation commands the use.
Its been a while since I have been on here but its Just my 2 cents worth

Misogynist
11-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Since when did 6 year olds start burglarizing places?........ :confused: I can imagine a 6 year old not having the concept of "property" and "ownership"... but burglary and car theft?... they couldn't reach the pedals...... :rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
11-13-2004, 11:19 PM
When was the last time anyone on here dealt with a crack baby

Misogynist
11-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Are they born with pistols in their little hands?...... :confused:

Kilrtoy
11-13-2004, 11:24 PM
No just brunt little fingers and lips

Misogynist
11-13-2004, 11:28 PM
No just brunt little fingers and lips
brunt?..... :confused:

Kilrtoy
11-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Come on Im watching Deliverence and drinking
BURNT

C-2
11-13-2004, 11:33 PM
My wife did earlier when I bent over to pick up my keys. Damn good thing she didn't have a taser!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sorry, just had too...

tewfiddy1
11-13-2004, 11:37 PM
They see their parents, older brothers and sisters do it and see it on video games along with the Rap videos glamorizing the crimes. Lets face it the times are only gettin worse.

C-2
11-13-2004, 11:43 PM
They see their parents, older brothers and sisters do it and see it on video games along with the Rap videos glamorizing the crimes. Lets face it the times are only gettin worse.
I don't agree with times are getting worse. Shocking yes, worse no.
The appropriate use of force is the question, and it's being discussed on numerous boards across the country. google it, kinda surprising.
One thing is clear - any LE can defend the officers actions, but people are pissed, which sez volumes.

tewfiddy1
11-13-2004, 11:49 PM
ok lets say this, Its your 6 yrs old son being held with a shard of glass on him by another kid. The other kid has already cut your son once and declaired his intention to do him bodily harm, thie officers have 2 choices, 1) wrestle with the 6 yr old and take a chance that your kid gets stabbed, the officer gets stabbed and the 6 yr old holding the glass gets stabbed OR 2) use the Taser which is not a life threatning tool but a controlling tool to overcome the threat to your son. Which would you choose.

C-2
11-14-2004, 12:02 AM
ok lets say this, Its your 6 yrs old son being held with a shard of glass on him by another kid. The other kid has already cut your son once and declaired his intention to do him bodily harm, thie officers have 2 choices, 1) wrestle with the 6 yr old and take a chance that your kid gets stabbed, the officer gets stabbed and the 6 yr old holding the glass gets stabbed OR 2) use the Taser which is not a life threatning tool but a controlling tool to overcome the threat to your son. Which would you choose.
We can argue hypotheticals all night and nobody knows this kid was a criminal, or had criminal intent at all. Sounds like the 6 year old was a danger to himself only, not to anybody else.
A 6 year old with agun is one thing; a 6 year old with a shard of glass is another. Geesh, throw a sheet over the little turd.
Your opinion is as valuable as mine, not trying to talk down to ya and appreciate your input as an LE officer.

Seadog
11-14-2004, 11:19 AM
It is one of the reason that we have so much problem keeping good people as police officers. They face life and death situations, yet every time they make a split second call, they are subjected to uninformed second guessing and lawyers who are looking to distort reality for money.
Fact: You had a difficult situation and the police found a solution that solved the problem with no one being hurt.
Fact:In the troubled world we are in today, six year olds are being used as trigger men, suicide bombers, and for numerous other criminal actions. They may not fully understand what they are doing, but they don't have to understand what is going on to pull a trigger, ignite a bomb or climb into a business to take something.
Fact: When I was in Vietnam, children were used to kill GIs. KNowing that a soldier loved to give treats to children, they would sometimes get fragged by a kid, or a backpack turns into a satchel charge.
If you want to find a way to subdue more humanely, design one. Until then don't criticise. I would love to find a way to shut cars down froma distance, so that cops would not have to face the risk or aftermath of car chases. Until then, we have to accept the risks of car chases.

Misogynist
11-14-2004, 11:51 AM
. Geesh, throw a sheet over the little turd.
Roflmfao............ I'm dying laughing here..... Drive by and let John Wayne net him like a rhino ......... lmao........... :D

Misogynist
11-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Come on Im watching Deliverence and drinking
BURNT
Heee heeee..... ask this guy how it's spelled......... :Dhttp://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7479

Kilrtoy
11-14-2004, 11:58 AM
That boy just aint right, shit the alls of them just aint right

Misogynist
11-14-2004, 12:09 PM
That boy just aint right, shit the alls of them just aint right
Roflmao......... oh yeah?......... :Dhttp://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7480

tewfiddy1
11-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Its understandable that I am a little bias, but as an officer, we deal with alot of problems that have been going on with the person for a long time. Its a problem we are expected as public servants to solve in an instant. Sometimes we make the right choices, sometimes we dont. Either way we have to live with the actions we chose to solve the problem. A regular working civilian can just walk away and it is forgotten. we dont have that luxury to sit back and judge if we did it the right way. We have to know we did.

LOWRIVER2
11-17-2004, 10:48 AM
I've been way too busy last few days to come back to this one.
Anyways, it is without question that any cop worth their salt would have gone "hands on" with this kid if they had no other tools to deal with him or he posed a more immediate threat to someone else.
That being said C-2, remember, all lines of work continue to have tools and tactics to make all jobs safer. Why not use tools/tactics that reduce the risk of injury to all involved?
Take the blood issue. I"ve been bit only once in my time during an arrest by an HIV+ infected suspect. I had to take the test every 6 months. This was 4 years ago and thankfully so far, I'm okay. If you have ever had to deal with the stress of that and it's ramifications on your family, let alone yourself, I'd venture to say you'd consider all options when dealing with thiese types of incidents.
Yes, I chose this job, and yes, it may cost me my life. But I will ALWAYS use my best weapon of defense (my brain/common sense), to keep me living and working for the long run.