PDA

View Full Version : 911...update From Catalina Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FRENCHIE
11-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Be Praying Everyone...just Got A Call Form Sya And Plya, And It Appears As Though Force 26 (gary) Had His Boat Blow Up In The Middle Of The Ocean On The Way Back From Catalina!!!!!!!
I Called Kachina 26 Adn He Said They All Got Overboard And Got On Dexman38's ...."shockwave" And Just Sit And Watched As His Boat Was Going Up In Flames And Slowly Going Down!!!
I Will Uypdate You As I Have More Info!!! Randy (k26) Took Pics For Insurance Purposes And Will Put Some Up Later!!! Plya And Sya Were Pulling Into Long Beach And Could See About 16 Miles Back In The Ditance Somke Still..so It Was Pretty Bad!!!
Just Keep Gary In Your Prayers!!!...leon :( :(

Kindsvater Flat
11-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Thats sucks!! Hope they are all ok.

cigarette1
11-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Bad News
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/data/507/3IMG_0701.JPG

beer hunter
11-13-2004, 07:31 PM
That's terrible! I hope everyone is OK.... This incident will make me think twice about making the run to Catalina alone. :)

nodigg
11-13-2004, 07:39 PM
That's terrible! I hope everyone is OK.... This incident will make me think twice about making the run to Catalina alone. :)
That's for sure! :supp:

Kachina26
11-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Be Praying Everyone...just Got A Call Form Sya And Plya, And It Appears As Though Force 26 (gary) Had His Boat Blow Up In The Middle Of The Ocean On The Way Back From Catalina!!!!!!!
I Called Kachina 26 Adn He Said They All Got Overboard And Got On Dexman38's ...."shockwave" And Just Sit And Watched As His Boat Was Going Up In Flames And Slowly Going Down!!!
I Will Uypdate You As I Have More Info!!! Randy (k26) Took Pics For Insurance Purposes And Will Put Some Up Later!!! Plya And Sya Were Pulling Into Long Beach And Could See About 16 Miles Back In The Ditance Somke Still..so It Was Pretty Bad!!!
Just Keep Gary In Your Prayers!!!...leon :( :(
All are ok, let me tell you, the ride over to see what happened knowing my son was on that boat was gut wrenching to say the least. We saw the boat fully engulfed and didn't know where my son or freinds were. My wife broke down :(
I will not post pics. There are others out there and I know they will come out, but not from me. It is just way different when loved ones are involved.

cigarette1
11-13-2004, 08:04 PM
I had a sinking feeling in my stomach .... SYO, the Tiger and myself were running together, when I circled back to check up on SYO I saw the column of smoke. I knew there were no buildings where I saw smoke and I knew some of my good friends were in that area. The three of us sat in the middle of the channel for awhile and then the Tiger made a recon run to the scene only to confirm it was one of the Hot Boat crew ... very sobering
G

JetBoatRich
11-13-2004, 08:07 PM
That is very bad news, sorry to read about the incident. From what I am reading eberyone made it off the boat and will be ok.

CAHotRodBoy
11-13-2004, 08:22 PM
We saw the smoke and headed straight for it. Scared the crap out of me when we first got there because we couldn't see anyone on board or around the boat. Then we checked with the other boats and talked to the owner, found out everone was okay and what happened. Very helpless feeling just watching it burn and you couldn't do anything about it. Fire boat eventually arrived and put the fire out. We split so I don't know what happened after that.
I just deleted the photo of the boat out of respect for Gary. I'm glad you are okay and very sorry about the boat.
If you want to see photos they are on the link above.

dexman38
11-13-2004, 08:33 PM
we all made it back to davis . as bad as it was no one was hurt. gary left with five on board and returned with five . thats all that counts.

Three Days Only
11-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Wow, We couldnt belive it when we heard. Glad to hear that everyone is okay, thats what really matters in the long run. We saw the smoke and thought that it was a large fishing boat or something since the smoke cloud was so large. We were idiling back from the island since one of our drives let go about one minute from Avalon. Glad you guys all made it back and there were no injuries with the five of you on board.
Jeff / 3DO

Racer277
11-13-2004, 09:47 PM
So sorry to hear guys! The wife is crying right now, and not for the boat (but we loved your boat Gary)! Thank God everyone is OK.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
11-14-2004, 06:29 AM
GARY, I'm glad everyone was ok.

Sane Asylum
11-14-2004, 07:59 AM
I don't know what to say except that I'm glad everyone's OK. Damn sure puts a damper on the day.....Let us know how everyone's doing when you get a chance......
K26.....Hope your son's OK....Bet he's got a story to tell...

Kachina26
11-14-2004, 08:22 AM
I don't know what to say except that I'm glad everyone's OK. Damn sure puts a damper on the day.....Let us know how everyone's doing when you get a chance......
K26.....Hope your son's OK....Bet he's got a story to tell...
Thanks man, Everyone is Physically well. Poor Gary is at home staring at an empty trailer :( and my son is in the shower trying to scrub away the frizzy hair again. :D The others are most likely dealing with lost possesions that , while a boat is burning aren't as important as getting out, but when Monday comes and you gotta make a living become very important.

FRENCHIE
11-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Thanks man, Everyone is Physically well. Poor Gary is at home staring at an empty trailer :( and my son is in the shower trying to scrub away the frizzy hair again. :D The others are most likely dealing with lost possesions that , while a boat is burning aren't as important as getting out, but when Monday comes and you gotta make a living become very important.
true on that one!!!! :cool:

mike37
11-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Holy shit thats some scarry shit
glad there were other boats around to get every one out of the water
its good to run with others just for things like this you never know
sorry to here about your boat Gary

Sane Asylum
11-14-2004, 09:31 AM
K26.....Who all was on board besides your son and Gary?.....Gary's got a co-pilot that he brings with him most of the time but I don't know his whole crew.....
Gary....Let us hear from ya man if you're able. Louie's got a new 30' Drone with your name on it......I was just down there yesterday checking on what's coming out of the molds......
You'd look good in one of those pups :D :rollside:

Kachina26
11-14-2004, 09:56 AM
K26.....Who all was on board besides your son and Gary?.....Gary's got a co-pilot that he brings with him most of the time but I don't know his whole crew.....
Gary, wingman Anthony, his buddy Sean, prospective Kachina buyer JDOGGINLA, and my son.

Sherpa
11-14-2004, 01:08 PM
link is dead.

Mrs. casean
11-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Randy, Let Anthony know we're thinkin of him too! And your wife! I can only imagine what was going through her mind! I am so emotional and wasn't even there, just the thought of it all for you guys to experience I guess... and on the same token, the thought of you all being okay at the same time... and the thought of Gary having to watch and lose his beautiful boat, melts my hear knowing he is going through this. On a possitive note... we're all here for you all and I know Gary has lots of seats on lots of boats from everyone here.
Gary, I wish you the best! I'm Thinkin of you skipper :D

Kachina26
11-14-2004, 01:43 PM
link is dead.
GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Kachina26
11-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Gary can post 'em if he wants when he's ready.

Mrs. casean
11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
There is no need to see it, way toooo disrespectuf IMO... if he would like to show it, he can and will.... otherwise, lets all respect him and offer all the support we can to help him out....

Sherpa
11-14-2004, 03:03 PM
does Gary or anyone onboard know the cause of the explosion-? I hope my
post doesn't come off as the grim reaper....... I mean no disrespect to Gary
or anyone else.......... my appologies if I have upset anyone.
--Sherpa
I'd be extremely upset if something like that happend to my boat...............

Just Electric
11-14-2004, 03:10 PM
glad everyone was okay . and geoff you know why your drive blew up it's cause our vodo worked for rick calling talkin shiot for not showin up cause the howterd wasnt ready in time.plus some off us showed up to work unlike someone i know. even at crazy horse talkin all that shit when we broke with brian benn itttt saying that the harring props were all u needed to fix the problem. make butt brentner fix the drive for jinxing u guys on saturday. butt a real good friend will bail u out huh

cola
11-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Gary, our thoughts are with you. We just heard the news this morning & decided to return today. The run back today alone was a eye opener. I filed a float plan with Vessel Assest a option I had never used in the package. I will not make that run without filing again. If you don't call on your safe return they come looking. Safty in numbers.
Late, Mike&Kim

Red Horse
11-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Feel for you guys. Boating with friends is so much fun and a VERY comforting thought when something like this happens. Makes you think. Glad everyone made it out OK.
Maybe a reminder to everyone. Check out your ride real well this winter. I know I am.

cigarette1
11-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Gary, sorry about your loss, but remember, it's only a boat and you still have your buddies.. .... you're young, there will be plenty more boats in your future ... friends are harder to come by.
PM me if either of the two pics I posted make you uncomfortable.
G

locogringo
11-14-2004, 07:43 PM
that has gotta be the most shitty feeling. Good thing it wasn't jsut you guys out there. I have made 3 trips with just our boat and always had a little bit of trepidation in the back of my mind that something could happen and I'd be SOL! I'm a great swimmer though!
Sorry to hear theat guys. Thank God for insurance...

malibuken
11-15-2004, 08:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the incident, but we are just glad everyone is OK.
I hope if anything like this ever happens to me, there are good friends around like the people here from the boards for support and help. :)

Big Warlock
11-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Just back from Mexico and saw this post. Gary I am sorry for your loss and glad everyone appears to have gotten off the boat ok. Absolutely this is what makes it good to run with a group of boats. I have always appreciated that. And Vessel Assist is very good about responding.
Does anyone know why the fire happened? Did LA or Long Beach fire respond? Vessel Assist?
If someone can give a few more details, I for one would appreciate it. We can always learn from these things.
Rob

Havasu_Dreamin
11-15-2004, 09:21 AM
WOW! Bottom line, everyone got off ok. Boats can be repalced, that's what insurance is for. Sorry to hear about this. :cry:

Moneypitt
11-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Big Warlock, there have been several requests here for info as to what caused this fire. Either no one knows, or they're not willing to say. From the discription, "boom", on one of the threads it would seem to be an explosion, and then the fire, and not just a small fuel/oil fire that got out of control. Maybe an engine let go? I don't know what type of power was in that boat, but it would take a nasty malfunction to actually explode, after that the fuel/oil on other hot pieces could get out of control fast. Again, this info may prevent this from happening to someone else.............As I said before, the main thing is that everyone made it home to boat another day...................MP

Kachina26
11-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Guys, there ain't much to know. It went BOOM and people jumped out after 3 extiguishers failed to quench the fire. CG and LA lifeguard fire dept responded, attempts to extiguish the boat actually sank it. It is now a 1/2 mile down, so real answers are not available and probably never will be. Looking for advice on how to avoid this? Learn your boat, I realize not everyone is mechanically inclined but you need to know the basic parts of your boat and how to identify possible problems. I don't know if there was an avoidable problem or if something just went really bad. Bottom line, open that hatch before every trip and take a look. Don't know what you are looking at? Take a boating safety course, talk to your service guy, whatever it takes.
K<---------------glad to still have a teenager in the house----26

Three Days Only
11-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Looking for advice on how to avoid this? Learn your boat, I realize not everyone is mechanically inclined but you need to know the basic parts of your boat and how to identify possible problems. I don't know if there was an avoidable problem or if something just went really bad. Bottom line, open that hatch before every trip and take a look. Don't know what you are looking at? Take a boating safety course, talk to your service guy, whatever it takes.
Good advise, you just never know!!!

cigarette1
11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Guys, there ain't much to know. It went BOOM and people jumped out after 3 extiguishers failed to quench the fire. CG and LA lifeguard fire dept responded, attempts to extiguish the boat actually sank it. It is now a 1/2 mile down, so real answers are not available and probably never will be. Looking for advice on how to avoid this? Learn your boat, I realize not everyone is mechanically inclined but you need to know the basic parts of your boat and how to identify possible problems. I don't know if there was an avoidable problem or if something just went really bad. Bottom line, open that hatch before every trip and take a look. Don't know what you are looking at? Take a boating safety course, talk to your service guy, whatever it takes.
:confused:

dicudmore
11-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Big Warlock, there have been several requests here for info as to what caused this fire. Either no one knows, or they're not willing to say. From the discription, "boom", on one of the threads it would seem to be an explosion, and then the fire, and not just a small fuel/oil fire that got out of control. Maybe an engine let go? I don't know what type of power was in that boat, but it would take a nasty malfunction to actually explode, after that the fuel/oil on other hot pieces could get out of control fast. Again, this info may prevent this from happening to someone else.............As I said before, the main thing is that everyone made it home to boat another day...................MP
Warlock, Moneypitt. Cig....
All we know is "BOOM!" followed by a fire, and as K26 said, extinguishers did not put out. They bailed, Dex picked them up (thank you brother :D) And as a group (my boat, Dex, Roxysnow I think was there too) watched it burn. Fireboat showed up and started flooding her with water, then it went down....
-Dan

andy01
11-15-2004, 12:22 PM
You know it sucks to loose your boat in this matter, but it happens. The only thing that counts when you go boating is that you make it home in one piece. Boats and everything else we own can be replaced but friends and family can't. It sure makes me think twice about making the run to Catalina by myself now.
Glad to hear everybody made out untouched.
Andy

Ducatista
11-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Wow I just stumbled on this thread, I'm so sorry K26. Thank God everyone escaped, and with time will be ok. Good luck to you with all the post mordum on this terrible event, I wish you & family & friends the best in the future.

FRENCHIE
11-16-2004, 06:10 PM
....... :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

98 Vector 21
11-18-2004, 09:38 PM
I might be wrong,however I thought I seen Garys Sub in Irwindale today? Now the only thing there where I seen it is...Miller Brewing & Hallett :idea: