PDA

View Full Version : Ultra's Gel Coat

BIGTYME
11-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Isn't the guy whos does Ultra's gel named Martin?
I was reading in the trident boats newsletter that there is a martin doing their stuff as well. Is it the same guy doing both or did he leave ultra?

Goodtime$
11-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Same guy

NashvilleBound
11-13-2004, 06:03 PM
yup, same one.....

Kilrtoy
11-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Those are gonna be some sick gel or paint schemes

BIGTYME
11-13-2004, 07:27 PM
does he work for both companies or is he an independent contractor?

Speedin' Ian
11-13-2004, 07:48 PM
any news on the trident, the last news letter I got said they were getting ready to build the first one. So is it out of the mold yet or what?

DAB
11-13-2004, 08:06 PM
does he work for both companies or is he an independent contractor? I think he is, snd I also saw him in Havasu in a boat that supposedly he will be mfgr/selling...forget the name though..

Froggystyle
11-14-2004, 02:19 AM
Martin Casillas (Pronounced "Mar-teen") is pretty commonly regarded as the best gelcoat artist in the industry. He is the owner of Next Generation Gelcoat, which is an independent business. Next Generation builds Ultras, and Orions, and used to build Lightnings and Genesis Custom Skiers. Good custom builder.
He is also now gelcoating every Trident that comes out of the factory. We are extremely proud to have him doing our gel flawlessly and look forward to popping the first boat out sometime next week. The Gel went down really nicely, so we have high hopes.
Knight and Carver Yacht builders is doing the construction though. They are the only boat builder on the west coast technically qualified to even learn the resin infusion process we are using IMO. Even at the level they are at, we have experts from various composite companies in the build as consultants.
Basically, we needed the best in both genres. Anything less as they say... would be uncivilized! So, we have a killer build team working on the new Revolution.
Thanks for the interest.

Froggystyle
11-14-2004, 02:22 AM
any news on the trident, the last news letter I got said they were getting ready to build the first one. So is it out of the mold yet or what?
You should have gotten one this last week around Tuesday with a great new update. PM me if you didn't get it.

Kilrtoy
11-14-2004, 02:52 AM
Im an ass, especially when it come to this,
but he is
THE BEST
his stuff is not even second to none,
IT IS NUMBER ONE :)

jbtrailerjim
11-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Martin is the best in the business here on the west coast. He does not do all the gel's though at his place. I gotta give credit to Jaime. Jaime did the gel on my Ultra and it turned out sweet!! Martin has trained him very well and his work imo is about as good as Martin's.

RiverToysJas
11-14-2004, 08:19 AM
He does good work, there's no doubt. But I gotta ask (because people are wondering), wouldn't "the best in the business" make sure the mold is properly waxed before starting on a boat for the first time?
Not trying to start shit, just asking what I think is a fair question. 10% of the first boat stuck to the mold. It was a sad and costly mistake, and I'm sorry for Wes & his crew.
RTJas

Froggystyle
11-14-2004, 10:29 AM
He does good work, there's no doubt. But I gotta ask (because people are wondering), wouldn't "the best in the business" make sure the mold is properly waxed before starting on a boat for the first time?
Not trying to start shit, just asking what I think is a fair question. 10% of the first boat stuck to the mold. It was a sad and costly mistake, and I'm sorry for Wes & his crew.
RTJas
Not his deal. I was the one who waxed it.
We tried a new liquid wax that was supposed to be the bomb. Put a million coats of it down, put one more down right before shooting the seasoning and shot it. Then it stuck.
Martin's responsibility lies only in taping and shooting the gel. He is the best at it, and that is what he is doing.
In any case, the bottom mold was fine. There was some weird interaction between the outer radiuses in our deck mold and the exotherming gelcoat that NOBODY expected. Least of all the wax rep.
Good observation, but totally unrelated to gelcoat application.

Froggystyle
11-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Martin is the best in the business here on the west coast. He does not do all the gel's though at his place. I gotta give credit to Jaime. Jaime did the gel on my Ultra and it turned out sweet!! Martin has trained him very well and his work imo is about as good as Martin's.
In a lot of senses, and for less complicated schemes you are right. Never forget who the teacher is though. I have a fierce loyalty to the originators. I will never buy a diverter from someone other than Place etc... Martin, to a large degree developed and took the risk of doing these wild gelcoats he is known for. He has pushed the envelope of "safe" when it comes to these designs, and for that I applaud him.
Jaime is an excellent gelcoater. He will be the best someday. He shot quite a bit of the Revolution in fact.
In any case, Martin and Jaime, collectively Next Generation Gelcoat, are the two best gelcoaters in the industry, and if you ask me, they are the best by quite a bit.
I am glad we have them on the team.

welk2party
11-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Everytime I read your posts Wes, I get more excited about your product. I must admit that I probably will not be in line to buy one of your boats anytime soon. However, your approach to your company and the execution of your ideas and philosophies are a breath of freash air. I am excited about what could only be a huge leap forward in custom boat building and you have raised the bar to an exceptional standard. I hope other builders are taking note that you can have the best of everything and still produce something that customers want and can afford. My hats off to you my friend. I must come and get a tour of your operation sometime. :cool:

Froggystyle
11-14-2004, 12:11 PM
I must come and get a tour of your operation sometime. :cool:
Thanks Chris. Come on down any time. If you come down this coming week, you can catch the resin infusion part of the build on Tuesday or Wednesday. Two mags will be there covering it... should be a blast.

jbtrailerjim
11-14-2004, 06:18 PM
In a lot of senses, and for less complicated schemes you are right. Never forget who the teacher is though. I have a fierce loyalty to the originators. I will never buy a diverter from someone other than Place etc... Martin, to a large degree developed and took the risk of doing these wild gelcoats he is known for. He has pushed the envelope of "safe" when it comes to these designs, and for that I applaud him.
Jaime is an excellent gelcoater. He will be the best someday. He shot quite a bit of the Revolution in fact.
In any case, Martin and Jaime, collectively Next Generation Gelcoat, are the two best gelcoaters in the industry, and if you ask me, they are the best by quite a bit.
I am glad we have them on the team.
Those two make one hell of a team. Everytime I see one of there newest creations in person I'm just amazed with the quality.

Froggystyle
11-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Those two make one hell of a team. Everytime I see one of there newest creations in person I'm just amazed with the quality.
You and me both. They are the best....