PDA

View Full Version : Hug your kids!!!!

Kachina26
11-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Even if they are obnoxious teens! My son was thrown from the back of Gary's boat to the very front of the bow by the force of the explosion and came away with a fuzzy head and a 1st degree burn.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1284Catalina_04_045.jpg
Tell me there is no God. I'll tell you you're nuts!

throwerb
11-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Hope he's OK.

Roxysnow
11-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Hey Kachina26, this is roxysnow (kevin), the 30" sleekcraft, I am just glad your son OK. And I full on agreed with you there and I happy to see everyone was OK!

RiverKitty
11-13-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm soooooooooooo glad everyone is safe (alive).
It could have been so much worse.
So sorry to hear about your son. :(
My prayers are with all of you.
Giving my kids xtra special hugs tonight.

IN2-IN2MX
11-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh :supp: ! Scary stuff. Sorry that happened to him...glad he came out safe and sound.

Debbolas
11-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Glad he is ok :D

JetBoatRich
11-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Brings a heavy feeling in my heart reading about your son. I can not imagine what you are going through. Let them know our thoughts and prayers are here for them.
My wife and kids are the world to me, so they get all the hugs they can take.

Havasu Hangin'
11-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Crap...I hate hearing about this stuff.
Glad everyone is OK.

topless
11-13-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm glad everyone is Ok. How scary that must have been!

Kachina26
11-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Brings a heavy feeling in my heart reading about your son. I can not imagine what you are going through. Let them know our thoughts and prayers are here for them.
My wife and kids are the world to me, so they get all the hugs they can take.
My boy is just fine. However, he learned how life can end in a blink of an eye.
Thanks for thoughts and prayers. Don't forget Gary, he watched a very expensive piece of pride and joy slip beneath the big blue.

rrrr
11-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Scary stuff...... Thanks to the man in charge for keeping everyone safe.

Kilrtoy
11-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Glad he is ok, he is lucky that is all he got. I agree hug them even when you wantto kill them

nodigg
11-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Glad he is ok, he is lucky that is all he got. I agree hug them even when you wantto kill them
That's some advice I wholy agree with! Glad to hear all are okay!

OutCole'd
11-13-2004, 08:40 PM
K26, Glad to hear you son is going to be OK!! That is some scarry shit for sure. Boats can be replaced, peeps can't.

C-2
11-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Give your son an addaboy from me, scary stuff for all of you. I can't imagine the anxiety in those minutes of uncertainty. Glad to see all is well and your great attitude. :)

hot_diggity_dog
11-13-2004, 08:57 PM
My boy is just fine. However, he learned how life can end in a blink of an eye.
Thanks for thoughts and prayers. Don't forget Gary, he watched a very expensive piece of pride and joy slip beneath the big blue.
K26 glad to hear you all got lucky!!!
Just to clear things up did all of you have your life vest on 24/7????? :confused:
HDD :cool:

Kachina26
11-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Just to clear things up did all of you have your life vest on 24/7????? :confused:
HDD :cool:
We did not. I think if I did the Pacific thing again I would re think that policy.

Squirtin Thunder
11-13-2004, 09:08 PM
I have made that run or one very similar and it sure makes you feel like a ant in a big pond. I have had thoughs running at about 80+mph by ourselfs out there what if. Well you guys are very lucky and your son has a new value of life. And will change his attitude on this bigtime. I hope all of you involved do yourselves a favor and call eachother tonight. Trust me even if it is late I know someone will say latter why didn't you call me ??? These things are tough on the mind and heart. I feel for you Gary. Everybody just hang in there it will take some time but get back out there very soon.
Jim

cc322
11-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Glad to hear your son is ok........what happened????? and when .

Kachina26
11-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Glad to hear your son is ok........what happened????? and when .
Force26's boat exploded today on the Catalina run about 2pm.
My wife and I were with Dicudmore on his boat.

Misogynist
11-13-2004, 09:42 PM
WOW!.... They charge for haircuts like that......... :devil: I'm glad to hear everyone got out ok... scary stuff..... :frown:
Man o man... good thing he has hair... my bald spot would be roasted...... :rollside:

rrrr
11-13-2004, 09:47 PM
We did not. I think if I did the Pacific thing again I would re think that policy.
A good idea. It's way too early to be a Monday morning quarterback, so if I step on anyone's toes I'm sorry. I inspect the fuel delivery system on my boats at least every third or fourth trip because of the danger it represents.
I just thank God that no one was seriously hurt. My wife has a best friend that lost her brother ten years ago on the 4th of July at the gas dock. I'm so glad that you all made it back OK.

little rowe boat
11-13-2004, 10:20 PM
K26,im happy to hear your son is fine and he was not seriously injured.
Life is very fragile,unfortunately sometimes it takes close calls for us to realize it.Thank god everyone aboard is safe.
LRB.

ratso
11-14-2004, 02:13 AM
Glad your son is OK...
BTW... I like the hair :D

Kachina26
11-14-2004, 09:25 AM
Well, Hot Boat history has been made. For the first time since I signed up, my PM inbox is overfull. Thanx for all of your kind words and advice. It is awesome to have the network/family of boaters that we have. Thanx again to Dexman and crew! Don't forget about Gary :cry:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
11-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Well, Hot Boat history has been made. For the first time since I signed up, my PM inbox is overfull. Thanx for all of your kind words and advice. It is awesome to have the network/family of boaters that we have. Thanx again to Dexman and crew! Don't forget about Gary :cry:
I'm glad you guys are all ok we were almost to LB when we saw the smoke

HCS
11-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Sheesh! Glad alls OK! Scary action there.

mike37
11-14-2004, 09:51 AM
glad every one is OK your boy is gonig to have one hell of a story to tell at school monday

Sherpa
11-14-2004, 12:29 PM
what happened to the boat that exploded-? any idea what caused it to
happen-? anyone get pics-?
--sherpa

Mrs. casean
11-14-2004, 12:41 PM
I am sooo glad to hear they are all okay... how scary for all! I am sure that gave them all a huge scare w/ their life... take care guys!

Boatcop
11-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Why just the "Pacific thing"?
I'm glad everyone came out of this with just minor, if any, injuies.
One thing I've learned from investigating boating mishaps (officialspeak for "accidents") over the last 28 years, is that we come away from them a little smarter. In this instance, a boatload of people found themselves in the water, before they coud say WTF!
People bitch and complain when we stop them and do an inspection, and give the little schpiel about having PFDs "readily accessible", as they dig them out of the bottom of the ski-locker, or try to remember where they were stashed.
They listen as we explain the need to get them in a hurry in an emergency, but all the while, we know that they're thinking, "Yadda-Yadda-Yadda, It'll never happen to me, just get done with your speech and let me get back to having fun!"
Just as some of you have learned important lessons from the many incidents on the River and Lake over the past several years, (slow down at night, don't drink and boat, watch out for the other guy, etc.) maybe you should re-think your PFD storage location(s), and making sure the PFDs are in good shape, sized and adjusted for the people who'll be wearing them, and that everyone knows how to put one on properly,
Or maybe even wearing them a little more often.
What happened in the SoCal channel, could have just as easily happened on Lake Havasu, Mead, Mohave, or Powell. When you're watching your boat burn while treading water, there isn't much difference between 1/2 mile to shore and 15 miles.
Luckily help was close at hand here, and the only thing(s) lost are easily replaceable.
You can't sat the same thing about friends and family.

MsDrmr
11-14-2004, 04:17 PM
you said it...man, hug your kids everyday, we don't know what life is gonna throw us from second to second, Never leave a doubt in your childrens' minds that they are loves......
Hope he's doin better today

Kachina26
11-14-2004, 06:07 PM
maybe you should re-think your PFD storage location(s), and making sure the PFDs are in good shape, sized and adjusted for the people who'll be wearing them, and that everyone knows how to put one on properly,
First thanks for very sound words of advice, second, I have vests in the ski locker under the front seats and in the engine storage area. I have always thought that the ones in the engine storage area were stored in a stupid place. After watching what I did on Saturday, I have rethought many things. I am preparing a "bail off the boat bag" easily accessable, water proof , bouyant with all valuables i.e. purses, wallets, cell phones (and yes Jason) keys in it. This bag will always be out and ready to toss in an emergency. I also want to have Emergency vests more available than they currently are. I guess I and many others have grown to feel very secure with land only 200 yards away. I'm sure that is only one of a plethora of reasons why people don't wear a vest the whole time they are under way. I do thank God that Dexman was right there to help and that the seas had calmed considerably from the way they were in the AM.

Debbolas
11-14-2004, 07:54 PM
First thanks for very sound words of advice, second, I have vests in the ski locker under the front seats and in the engine storage area. I have always thought that the ones in the engine storage area were stored in a stupid place. After watching what I did on Saturday, I have rethought many things. I am preparing a "bail off the boat bag" easily accessable, water proof , bouyant with all valuables i.e. purses, wallets, cell phones (and yes Jason) keys in it. This bag will always be out and ready to toss in an emergency. I also want to have Emergency vests more available than they currently are. I guess I and many others have grown to feel very secure with land only 200 yards away. I'm sure that is only one of a plethora of reasons why people don't wear a vest the whole time they are under way. I do thank God that Dexman was right there to help and that the seas had calmed considerably from the way they were in the AM.
This is a really good idea.
We have a "bail out bag" that is clear and we keep it under the sink with our wallets, keys, phones, etc...
Where do you keep your vests? ours are under our front bow cushions, I wonder if this is a good place, or if I should stow them in the cuddy, I use the cuddy space for food and towels....

Midlife Advantage
11-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Why just the "Pacific thing"?
I'm glad everyone came out of this with just minor, if any, injuies.
One thing I've learned from investigating boating mishaps (officialspeak for "accidents") over the last 28 years, is that we come away from them a little smarter. In this instance, a boatload of people found themselves in the water, before they coud say WTF!
People bitch and complain when we stop them and do an inspection, and give the little schpiel about having PFDs "readily accessible", as they dig them out of the bottom of the ski-locker, or try to remember where they were stashed.
They listen as we explain the need to get them in a hurry in an emergency, but all the while, we know that they're thinking, "Yadda-Yadda-Yadda, It'll never happen to me, just get done with your speech and let me get back to having fun!"
Just as some of you have learned important lessons from the many incidents on the River and Lake over the past several years, (slow down at night, don't drink and boat, watch out for the other guy, etc.) maybe you should re-think your PFD storage location(s), and making sure the PFDs are in good shape, sized and adjusted for the people who'll be wearing them, and that everyone knows how to put one on properly,
Or maybe even wearing them a little more often.
What happened in the SoCal channel, could have just as easily happened on Lake Havasu, Mead, Mohave, or Powell. When you're watching your boat burn while treading water, there isn't much difference between 1/2 mile to shore and 15 miles.
Luckily help was close at hand here, and the only thing(s) lost are easily replaceable.
You can't sat the same thing about friends and family.
Boatcop, thanks for the sound advice, I also will be rethinking my emergency conditions and setups. I may even go so far as to do the real scary thing: stop the boat and have everyone go through a little drill, find the vests, put them on and see how long it takes. at the very least I will be making sure veryone knows where they are and how to put them on, probably try to make them a little easier accessible, and mark the locations.
Tim

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
11-14-2004, 07:58 PM
That had to be so----o hard to watch :cry: I can't even handle my kids getting I.V.s :notam: I'm glad you son is okay :D

WILD LAVEY
11-14-2004, 09:09 PM
k26, the first thing i did when i got home was hug my kids. im glad everyone was ok. just keep thinking about the times i have crossed to get to the island alone. my kids love the island, i have to rethink heading out there without another boat beside me.

ratso
11-14-2004, 10:12 PM
This is a really good idea.
We have a "bail out bag" that is clear and we keep it under the sink with our wallets, keys, phones, etc...
Where do you keep your vests? ours are under our front bow cushions, I wonder if this is a good place, or if I should stow them in the cuddy, I use the cuddy space for food and towels....
I need a "bail out bag"... :D

Misogynist
11-14-2004, 10:19 PM
I need a "bail out bag"... :D
But Ratso... they're talking about bailing out of a boat... not a back bedroom window.. Yours would need some shorts, clean underwear, mouthwash and running shoes......... :skull:

ratso
11-14-2004, 10:21 PM
But Ratso... they're talking about bailing out of a boat... not a back bedroom window.. Yours would need some shorts, clean underwear, mouthwash and running shoes......... :skull:
LMFAO! I've been walking into this stuff for two days straight now...
mrs vee and Tom Brown really ripped on me yesterday... :D

Charley
11-14-2004, 10:56 PM
K26 .... great advice ... I just went to both kids and did exactly that! I'm glad yours is ok!

Kachina26
11-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Hey! This is SERIOUS!!!! Just kidding, that there is funny! I don't care who you are!

ahhell
11-15-2004, 07:00 AM
as all have said before, glad everyone is safe, and the boys hair, i think he'll start a new look at school today. And...im going to make a 'bailout bag' too
all to scary :sqeyes:

OGShocker
11-15-2004, 07:07 AM
K26.
Glad to see everyone made it out safe.. for the most part. Your son has done more stuff (in boats) this year than I did in my first 20. 100 MPH Gruesome run and now this. I hope no one goes though all the things he has.. Just most of them. Glad he is OK.
OG<..going home to hug my son..>Shocker

Mr.Havasu
11-15-2004, 07:12 AM
OMG!
Randy I'm in shock! Just got an email from little rowe boat and learned about Gary's boat. Had no idea your son was aboard. I'm so glad to hear no one was seriously hurt. I feel so sorry for Gary. I couldn't even imagine how much it must have hurt to see his beautiful boat destroyed. I'll give him and you a call today.
Michele

jackpunx
11-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Even if they are obnoxious teens! My son was thrown from the back of Gary's boat to the very front of the bow by the force of the explosion and came away with a fuzzy head and a 1st degree burn.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1284Catalina_04_045.jpg
Tell me there is no God. I'll tell you you're nuts!
I saw you out in Catalina wanted to say hi but you were in the middle of a conversation so I didn’t but in. As we were idling back from Catalina we saw the smoke. Then when we got to the yard house and finally found out what happened.. Dude! I’m so glad that everyone on board that boat is ok. I bet you son got a new perspective on life. I don’t have any words accept thank God nobody was hurt. It gives me a hollow feeling in my stomach that those things can happen to us at any time. Makes me want to take my daughters car away and ground her to her room to protect her from the world.. I know that is ridiculous but.. well if you’re a parent you know what I mean.
Mark
aka Jackpunx