PDA

View Full Version : New Muffler laws

Rocket-J
11-14-2004, 10:12 AM
I have been experimenting with some new muffler inserts. So far I have not lost any HP but I don't think I am meeting the law requirements.
Has anyone tried the Rex Marine #PSL400 Power Silencers? I would like to hear a first hand report. Some silencers offer only a 12db reduction and I don't think that will work for me. Maybe?
Thanks. Al :rolleyes:

WetWillie
11-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Im not sure. I am interested in hearing as well. I run Gatlins and my boat seems pretty quite but I would like to know before next season if I will be compliant..

framer1
11-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Putting Gatlins mufflers on new boat $2,000 upgrade I hope they comply. I hope they are not to quiet that would suck :notam:

Rexone
11-14-2004, 01:54 PM
I have been experimenting with some new muffler inserts. So far I have not lost any HP but I don't think I am meeting the law requirements.
Has anyone tried the Rex Marine #PSL400 Power Silencers? I would like to hear a first hand report. Some silencers offer only a 12db reduction and I don't think that will work for me. Maybe?
Thanks. Al :rolleyes:
Rocket-J, contact Havasu Dreamin...he and severel others he knows are successfully running them now. There is a thread in Hot Boats (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59157) forum in which severel have them. Get their testimonials. If you have questions for me regarding the Powersilencers I'm a PM away.
:smile:

UnionJack
11-14-2004, 02:54 PM
are the gatlins an insert, into the headers? I will need somthing soon, the parade of light is upon us

OutCole'd
11-14-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm also looking for something. I really like the Rex set up, but they are too large of diameter to use on my boat without doing some mods. I am looking for an easier set up.

Rexone
11-14-2004, 06:21 PM
I'm also looking for something. I really like the Rex set up, but they are too large of diameter to use on my boat without doing some mods. I am looking for an easier set up.
Just FYI we are getting close to finishing a clamp-on model. Although they will be the same OD as the transom mounts sometimes they'll get you around a swimstep clearance issue if that's what you're up against. Just speculating...

OutCole'd
11-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Just FYI we are getting close to finishing a clamp-on model. Although they will be the same OD as the transom mounts sometimes they'll get you around a swimstep clearance issue if that's what you're up against. Just speculating...
If that will work, I will take your first set. Let me know if you need a test boat for size (i'm not looking for anything)? There are a few Magic owners I've been talking to that would be very interested.

rude235
11-14-2004, 11:19 PM
how much clearance will i need for a set of those?? i have 25 daytona (500 efi) with cmi exhaust that exits through the transom between the swim steps and the tunnel tabs. the only thing i have for exhaust tips is the standard short tip with the black rubber flapper.

OutCole'd
11-15-2004, 06:14 AM
how much clearance will i need for a set of those?? i have 25 daytona (500 efi) with cmi exhaust that exits through the transom between the swim steps and the tunnel tabs. the only thing i have for exhaust tips is the standard short tip with the black rubber flapper.
James, it's about a 6" Diameter tip. So if you have at least 1.5" around your tips now, you'll be fine.

Sandbar Mike
11-15-2004, 07:46 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/40Double_x_Muff.jpg
These worked on mine, Eddie Marine double X clamp-on's
540CI 650HP 85.3dba @ idle
I like the Rex silencer also just a lot more $$$$$

OutCole'd
11-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Did you loose many RPM's?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/40Double_x_Muff.jpg
These worked on mine, Eddie Marine double X clamp-on's
540CI 650HP 85.3dba @ idle
I like the Rex silencer also just a lot more $$$$$

Sandbar Mike
11-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Supprisingly no, @ about 5600 is was still seeing low 80's mph.
It suck's plugin it up though, I love the sound of loud engines, thats what makes Havasu (Havasu).
Good Luck

DogHouse
11-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Rex, if those clamp-ons are made to fit a 4.5" tailpipe, then I will be needing a set asap! My current setup is way too loud under the swim deck. If the clamp-ons don't bring it down enough, then I may need to add inserts inside the pipes as well. Let me know when they're available please!
Thanks,
-Brian

OutCole'd
11-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Rex, if those clamp-ons are made to fit a 4.5" tailpipe, then I will be needing a set asap! My current setup is way too loud under the swim deck. If the clamp-ons don't bring it down enough, then I may need to add inserts inside the pipes as well. Let me know when they're available please!
Thanks,
-Brian
Brian, why not clamp on a set to another set, if that does not work, clamp on another set.
Just trying to help out. :D

DogHouse
11-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Brian, why not clamp on a set to another set, if that does not work, clamp on another set.
Just trying to help out. :D
You sure you're not the guy that rigged my boat at Magic?
:D

Sandbar Mike
11-15-2004, 01:09 PM
Whats up stranger! :D
LMAO

Rexone
11-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks,
-Brian
We are making 4" and 4 1/2" clamp-ons first. 5" is under consideration depending on anticipated demand.
As far as the transom mount tip style they are a full 6" diameter right from the boat, which is the same diameter as the flange on most 4" exhaust tips.
There are some pics posted of them in the thread I linked to above so you can see what you're up against for clearance.

OutCole'd
11-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Could have, is there like 15 rolls of duct tape holding most of it together??

DogHouse
11-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Whats up stranger! :D
LMAO
Who you callin strange? :boxingguy
I sure hope those new Rex silencers don't rob too many ponies... Otherwise I might be staring at the BACK of a Force next time I go to Havasu! :eek: :D
You going to the parade of lights deal?
-Brian :cool:

DogHouse
11-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Could have, is there like 15 rolls of duct tape holding most of it together??
I hear they're accepting applications for riggers to work the new 30. Could be your next big career move!

JB in so cal
11-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Not to be a buzz kill for Rex, but here's something for you Magic folks;I bought a set of the Power Silencers and gave them to Darrin/Clu to put on; (on my boat, anyway) there is a slight angle at the very top of the exhaust tip - right where the swim step begins to form - that wouldn't allow the Rex's to sit perfectly straight and tight against the transom.
If they use the EXACT same jig for all of the exhaust cut outs, they won't fit, but if there is a little wiggle room, maybe.
Bottom line is Rex Marine took them back from me.
JB
PS. Darrin put some baffles in and it dropped the db a lot - never put a meter to it, but I can hear the tunes without blasting and have a conversation with someone without yelling.
FYI

OutCole'd
11-15-2004, 03:40 PM
I hear they're accepting applications for riggers to work the new 30. Could be your next big career move!
Have duct tape, will travel.

Sandbar Mike
11-15-2004, 04:12 PM
You going to the parade of lights deal?
-Brian :cool:[/QUOTE]
Absolutly, and we better be thrown a few down with you sat afternoon!
We just won't let you and Reaper 1 part next to each other!! :D :lightsabe

Rexone
11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Not to be a buzz kill for Rex, but here's something for you Magic folks;I bought a set of the Power Silencers and gave them to Darrin/Clu to put on; (on my boat, anyway) there is a slight angle at the very top of the exhaust tip - right where the swim step begins to form - that wouldn't allow the Rex's to sit perfectly straight and tight against the transom.
Major reason we're making 4" clamp-on model. Seems lots of boats have this radius into the swimstep situation right where the tips exit. With an exhaust tip you can simply trim the flange a little but with the silencers that's not an option.

OutCole'd
11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Major reason we're making 4" clamp-on model. Seems lots of boats have this radius into the swimstep situation right where the tips exit. With an exhaust tip you can simply trim the flange a little but with the silencers that's not an option.
Mike, do you have anykind of time frame?

Rexone
11-15-2004, 06:42 PM
We are just finishing the prototyping/testing on the clamp design. I expect finished product in the 30-60 day range.

OutCole'd
11-15-2004, 09:18 PM
You mean like this??http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075Magic_exhaust.jpg

DogHouse
11-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Mine are through transom pipes, no tips. They look more like this:
http://members.cox.net/bcurnutt4/Magic_Cat/08.jpg
The pipes are a little longer now, but that's basically it. I think the clamp-ons will fit just fine.
-Brian

Rexone
11-15-2004, 09:58 PM
You mean like this??http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075Magic_exhaust.jpg
Precisely... :smile:

Rexone
11-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Mine are through transom pipes, no tips. They look more like this:
http://members.cox.net/bcurnutt4/Magic_Cat/08.jpg
The pipes are a little longer now, but that's basically it. I think the clamp-ons will fit just fine.
-Brian
The only problem you might possibly encounter is steering ram interference.
We've also had a couple where the drop down Aquastep interfered but yours doesn't seem to be in line with the tip.

FastTimmy
11-16-2004, 06:36 AM
As above in the pic, this is my same problem. I have the thru transom exhaust with a neopreme gasket type deal-e-o but I have WPM steering that is way farther apart then the Imco steering. There is no way that I can have any more than 2.5” of exhaust pipe coming out my transom and still be able to put my drive up!!
Looks like I will be needing to cut a 6” hole in my transom and use the muffler as a tail pipe…..
Timmy

Reaper1
11-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Ok, mine is just like Out Cole'ds. Let me know what you guys come up with.

DrewDown
11-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Ok, mine is just like Out Cole'ds. Let me know what you guys come up with.
Wait a second, I thought it was just like doghouses. I'm confused :)

Reaper1
11-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Wait a second, I thought it was just like doghouses. I'm confused :)
Answer you email focker!

Speedin' Ian
11-16-2004, 06:10 PM
I didn't take the time to read all the posts so this may have already been covered but I have a set of baffles that slide into OT headers, and they happen to fit nicely in the stainless tips on my Commander. What, if any, would be the draw back of running these? Do you think I would have too much back presure with the baffle and all the water being forced through them.