PDA

View Full Version : Pump Seal

Taylorman
04-22-2002, 07:36 PM
I have a 12JE pump. This weekend i noticed water coming in while running. Is that bad?

Bitz
04-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Sounds like you need to tighten up the packing a bit. It should just have a very slow drip. (It does need a bit of water to lube the packing).

SoCalPower
04-22-2002, 08:51 PM
Don't over-tighten. You can fry your packings and possibly score the shaft. As Bitz said, a very slow drip for lubrication is a must.

SoCalPower
04-22-2002, 08:52 PM
One thing you should do is pull at least one packing ring to check condition.

Hollis
04-23-2002, 03:35 AM
SoCal you mentioned pulling a packing ring...Deos that mean loosening the two nuts on the left and right and pulling one ring back?
Do we have to pull the whole pump off the stern to replace them or just pull out he drive shaft..?
Lastley, Would over tightening create a vibration in the hull? Thanx
[This message has been edited by Hollis (edited April 23, 2002).]

SoCalPower
04-23-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Hollis:
SoCal you mentioned pulling a packing ring...Deos that mean loosening the two nuts on the left and right and pulling one ring back?
Do we have to pull the whole pump off the stern to replace them or just pull out he drive shaft..?
Lastley, Would over tightening create a vibration in the hull? Thanx
[This message has been edited by Hollis (edited April 23, 2002).]
Hollis, Remove nuts, bolts and split glands. This will expose the forward packing ring. Then use a scribe w/bent end to stick in packing ring to pull. There will be a total of 4 or 5 depending on type. Gaps should be staggered when reinstalled.
You do not have to remove shaft or jet-drive. Overtightening will increase friction at shaft/packing ring interface and possibly cause vibration, but it would be such a high frequency that it would detectable by feel or "seat of the pants" monitoring. Hope this helps.

SoCalPower
04-23-2002, 05:49 AM
Also, there is tool available that looks like a long reach small diameter cork screw designed for pulling packing rings. That's just one type....the are others.

Hollis
04-23-2002, 01:46 PM
Great...Thanks

lildozer
04-23-2002, 08:07 PM
I heard a drip is bad news better head to the doctor. HA HA HA