PDA

View Full Version : What kind of loader is this? Set back ?'s

Bryan Rose
11-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Sorry for the size ... http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/766DSC02467.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC02475.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/766DSC02476.JPG and is a good one ?
Also how far can you set a pump back before it is too far?

LVjetboy
11-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Looks like an open center race to me, don't think that short spacer qualifies as a blocker. Interesting swept ramps. I swept mine a long time ago because it seemed cool, and I thought maybe a bit more consistent depth along the keel, but I'm sure any difference in swept vs perpendicular hard to measure.
Looks like the hull bottom needs more attention than the loader. :)
On setback I have a stronger opinion. I wouldn't go outside the hull. In other words, the back edge of the intake-to-suction mating surface inside the transom. You can go farther back but risk leaks if you do. Not that some who've done that haven't done it successfully with no leaks. Just for a lake boat, why add a potential source of more problems? It's hard to justify that extra 2 or 3 inches setback in potential performance gain for a lake jet compared to a hacked up transom and maybe leaks. My opinion.
jer

Bryan Rose
11-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Looks like the hull bottom needs more attention than the loader. :)
jer
For sure.... This winter a hull flip Blueprint and set back....how far I do not know?
Bryan

Squirtcha?
11-15-2004, 05:18 PM
I've always been impressed with Bryan's speed. 82 mph and change with 550 hp is pretty amazing. Moreso because I've struggled so much with mine I think....
Still have yet to break 80 without using the juice. I did it once, but I think it was a fluke. Weird gps day or something.

1HOTGMCJET
11-15-2004, 05:42 PM
I've always been impressed with Bryan's speed. 82 mph and change with 550 hp is pretty amazing. Moreso because I've struggled so much with mine I think....
Still have yet to break 80 without using the juice. I did it once, but I think it was a fluke. Weird gps day or something.
Your day is at hand, my friend - finish up that bottom work, and I think your "struggles" will be long over, good OR bad GPS days...........Good Luck!

Bryan Rose
11-15-2004, 05:45 PM
That high speed I believe was a fluke as well ... I do get a constant 78-80 out of it with almost no fuel and just me in the boat on motor, On the bottle it was knockin on 90 , good speed. The bottom as you can see is in rough shape , no doubt, however there is no hook in it but it seem there is some rocker at the end of the hull near the transom, dont know if taking it out is going to help or not. I do want to do a set back and at least clean up the bottom some to get a real shoe and rideplate setup . I have not squeezed the motor on the juice again since the first bottle was run through it, boat got kind of out of shape and did not like it too much so there we have it, get the bottom cleaned up.
Dan the bottom work you are doing looks good and I know we all appreciate the info you post on the progress. By the way how far did you set your pump back anyway?
Thanks
Bryan

Squirtcha?
11-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks guys. Definitely hoping for the best.
The pump was setback approximately 3". It looks to be one set of bolt holes. Just as jer was saying in his post, It did not come out the back of the boat (Still some hull between the back of the intake and the transom). What jer describes does seem to be the rule of thumb for lake boats.
As for your speed Bryan, you're still running a tad faster than I am, and I've spent lots of time and money on mine. We'll see here shortly what the bottom work does for it. I'm running out of things to try so hopefully this does it some good.

Bryan Rose
11-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Well did some research today under the boat.... It seems no one really knows what kind of loader it is but it seems to work... I beleive it came from Duanne at HTP. The previous owner lived near Goddard Kansas and I know HTP rebuilt the pump at one time. So for the time being I am going to pull the loader out clean it up , sharpen the edges etc.. and powder coat it at my buddies shop and go from there.
On the bottom work, I checked in several places on the bottom and found absolutely no hook at all, none , nada , not even a little anywhere. But what I did find is there is about a 1/16 to about 3/16 th's of rocker tapering back to the transom from dead balls on straight from 5 feet in front where the rocker starts in the last two feet of the hull. What this is doing I don't know , however I have come to the conclusion that some bottom work has been done to this boat before I bought it. Now , does this mean it was done corectly etc... or what? I do not know but I think it will be beneficial to clean up the bottom around the intake and smooth things out making it as slick as possible. Will I flip it over and do it or will I just raise it off the trailer and do it as it sits ? who knows I guess it all depends on weather I set the pump back or not. From the back of the intake piece to the transom I have 6 1/4 inches, so I am guessing I could go at least 4 inces on set back . Does this sound right? Any comments from the peanut gallery? :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
Perhaps the speed I am running is a result of no hook in the boat, could be.

Squirtcha?
11-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Well did some research today under the boat.... It seems no one really knows what kind of loader it is but it seems to work... I beleive it came from Duanne at HTP. The previous owner lived near Goddard Kansas and I know HTP rebuilt the pump at one time.
Must've done a good job on it.
So for the time being I am going to pull the loader out clean it up , sharpen the edges etc.. and powder coat it at my buddies shop and go from there.
On the bottom work, I checked in several places on the bottom and found absolutely no hook at all, none , nada , not even a little anywhere. But what I did find is there is about a 1/16 to about 3/16 th's of rocker tapering back to the transom from dead balls on straight from 5 feet in front where the rocker starts in the last two feet of the hull. What this is doing I don't know , however I have come to the conclusion that some bottom work has been done to this boat before I bought it. Now , does this mean it was done corectly etc... or what?
This peanut would be inclined to say the bottom hasn't been worked. I'm betting that the rocker is freeing up the boat and helping your speed, but it doesn't seem likely that someone would intentionally put a rocker in it.
Could be wrong though.
I do not know but I think it will be beneficial to clean up the bottom around the intake and smooth things out making it as slick as possible. Will I flip it over and do it or will I just raise it off the trailer and do it as it sits ? who knows I guess it all depends on weather I set the pump back or not.
Just a personal observation here. I crawled under mine many many times to measure the hook. I always knew it had some, but I honestly never knew just how much until I flipped it over. It's so much easier to see what's going on when you're not crawling around on the garage floor with a flashlight clenched between your teeth, a straightedge in one hand, and measuring tape in the other.
From the back of the intake piece to the transom I have 6 1/4 inches, so I am guessing I could go at least 4 inces on set back . Does this sound right? Any comments from the peanut gallery?
Sounds like you'd have room, but does it need to be setback? You're speeds are already well above average in my mind. I'm not sure it would do much good.
Perhaps the speed I am running is a result of no hook in the boat, could be.
Maybe conversely, the rocker is the reason it got a little wild when you hit it with a dose of goofy gas and broke 90 mph too eh?
Just a thought.

Bryan Rose
11-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Looks to me like that peanut is more of a Macadamia nut... good words Dan.
Bryan

BrendellaJet
11-16-2004, 07:00 PM
On setback I have a stronger opinion. I wouldn't go outside the hull. In other words, the back edge of the intake-to-suction mating surface inside the transom. You can go farther back but risk leaks if you do. Not that some who've done that haven't done it successfully with no leaks. Just for a lake boat, why add a potential source of more problems? It's hard to justify that extra 2 or 3 inches setback in potential performance gain for a lake jet compared to a hacked up transom and maybe leaks. My opinion. jer
Im gonna disagree with this. Ive spent hours talking to Jack and Jeff about this- Both told me, where the intake mounts to the hull, keep inside of the boat. You dont want to sacrifice the transom where it meets the bottom. Where the intake meets the suction housing wont matter if doing the set back, cuz the transom adapter likely wont fit anymore anyways so you're no worse off. If you want to do the set back go for it. Considering the shape of your intake, no shoe/ride plate, Id say tear it out to have the shoe put on, and do a set back. It cant hurt and its not much more work to fill the void... although the setup will likely change.

LVjetboy
11-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Good point Brendella. Cutting the transom at the intake-to-hull mount will compromise hull strength more than cutting at the intake-to-suction mount as I posted. Although either will compromise to some extent. But is that extra inch for a lake boat worth it no matter? Not sure. In Brian's case, would a 6 1/4 setback gain significant performance compared to a 5 1/4 setback?
jer