PDA

View Full Version : San Diego

cola
11-15-2004, 07:29 PM
If we wanted to take the boat to SD what could we do. Also where could we stay for around 100. a night or so. Help from the boys of the south please.
Late, Mike&Kim

BarryMac
11-15-2004, 07:46 PM
If we wanted to take the boat to SD what could we do. Also where could we stay for around 100. a night or so. Help from the boys of the south please.
Late, Mike&Kim
Cola, PM Mandelon, he has the scoop on what and where to go on the San Diego Bay...

Wet Dream
11-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Help from the boys of the south please.
Late, Mike&Kim
How much further south of San Diego can you be? Theres not a whole lot of room between there and Mexico. :confused:

Phat Matt
11-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Mandelon or Froggystyle could probably help you out.

dicudmore
11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
go down and spend the night at coranodo island,bigger boats only ;)
when you say bigger boats only????? Ours? Photoglou? Mardonzi?? :D How big is big?

BarryMac
11-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Mandelon has a 21' Lavey and he does fine on the Bay, He posted some pics a few months back of a day trip that he made out, including a stop in Coronado for lunch.

jdogginla
11-16-2004, 06:55 AM
You can and should stay down at Shelter Island........you can also launch out of there too. You can cruise around Cornado, and knowing that you've run in the salt before, you can roll around Point Loma and up the coast a lil bit. PM me for the names of the hotels on Shelter Island.
You can also launch out of Mission Bay, and cruise thru the Channel out to the big blue, then run down to the Point and into Coronado. Lots to do.....for a quick weekend trip.

OLDRAT
11-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Shelter Island has a pretty good ramp and parking area and there are some
ok places to stay and lots to see in the bay, and like jdogginla said
you can go up the coast for a day trip. Fiesta Island used to have
a large ramp but I don't know how good the area is if the park fills up.
OR

dirty old man
11-16-2004, 09:46 AM
sight seeing, cruising, hoteling, restauranting, it doesn't get any better than SD. And the weather is almost always good
Think I'll go too
don't forget the aircraft carrier now open to public

tamalewagon
11-16-2004, 10:16 AM
The Hilton on Mission Bay has it's own docks and there is a launch less than a .25 mile away. If that's too pricy, there is also the Hyatt Islandia on Mission Bay too. They are less expensive, have docks and a launch and is near the jetty. You have bay and ocean access. If you want San Diego Bay, you're best bet is Shelter Island. Best bang for your buck with docks and launch.

mud duck
11-16-2004, 11:36 AM
I have stayed at the Catamaran (on the bay) and the Pacific Terrace. Both places I would highly recommend.

TheEduKATor
11-16-2004, 03:28 PM
We usually just drop it in for free at ski beach. Ski beach only has one ramp that is wide enough for 3 boats, so it could get a little crowded but there is plenty of parking and nice beach area. There are a couple free ramps around Mission Bay but I like the ski beach launch because you can beach it on the sand and there are restrooms nearby. You can do some hot laps around the bay or go out pass the jetty. It's a nice drive down to Coronado and into San Diego bay. Nothing like cruising next to aircraft carriers and the armed patrol boats.

SchellSchock
11-16-2004, 04:32 PM
South Shores ramp in Mission Bay. At the end of Seaworld. No wake put-put out to channel but ramp is the nicest in MB and ther is always parking.
Out the Chanel turn north for scenic ride La Jolla etc. Turn South scenic ride Pt Loma etc. On way back into MB stop, Barfoot bar,(has a dock) for refresments etc.

Mandelon
11-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Check your Pm's. ;)

cola
11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I booked a room at the The Island Palms Hotel & Marina on Shelter Island. I got a slip also. Is it far to run up to Mission Bay from there. Also what is the deal with the kelp fields. How far to go around or can you see them easy. Is Mission Bay north on where we will be. I have never been to San Diego other then UCSD & Supercross a few times.
Thanks for the help.
Late, Mike&Kim

MsDrmr
11-17-2004, 03:20 PM
there is a beautiful dog beach there, and sea world, beaches, live shows, amusement park on the beach, there is "seaport villiage, a tour an aircraft carrier and so much more. I love being down there.

BarryMac
11-17-2004, 03:23 PM
there is a beautiful dog beach there, and sea world, beaches, live shows, amusement park on the beach, there is "seaport villiage, a tour an aircraft carrier and so much more. I love being down there.
Hey and I'm down here, what else is there???

Ziggy
11-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I booked a room at the The Island Palms Hotel & Marina on Shelter Island. I got a slip also. Is it far to run up to Mission Bay from there. Also what is the deal with the kelp fields. How far to go around or can you see them easy. Is Mission Bay north on where we will be. I have never been to San Diego other then UCSD & Supercross a few times.
Thanks for the help.
Late, Mike&Kim
Mission BAy is a relatively short ride north of San Diego Bay and the kelp is easy to see....it used to be that you could hang out just outside of one of the SeaWorld shows and watch it from your boat, don't know if its still as visible. Have a great time.

jdogginla
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the help.
Late, Mike&Kim
From your slip.......you'll head out of the channel to the "Point" (Point Loma) and head up North. It's a pretty easy run.....the majority of the Kelp beds will depend on the current/tide. Sometimes they suck, and sometimes non-existent. Majority of the kelp if there is any will be around the "Point". There is no charge to Launch the boat across the street at Shelter either. You'll love it and have a great time!

MsDrmr
11-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Hey and I'm down here, what else is there???
for me...nuttin, I told you I don't share :D