PDA

View Full Version : to the engine builders

Hustler
07-13-2001, 09:37 AM
I'm looking to start build a new motor for my boat it 74 22.6 Hustler with a jucuzzi pump it cuurently has 396 40 over with small oval port heads. My question is I would like to build something in the range of 600-700 hp, can i acheive with my existing blockor should i start from scratch and will i need to run a blower to acheive this power on pump gas or not? What kind of cost am i looking at to build some thing that makes 600-700 hp?
Thanks for the help
Hustler

Jetmugg
07-13-2001, 10:58 AM
You should be able to get 600-700 reliable HP on pump gas with a big crate engine. Check out the 502's and 540's that are available. Some are available with decent warranties as well. I know that some people consider crate motors "cheating", and that you can do better if you build it yourself, but the crate engines really are a good value for the dollar. Sallee Chevy and Merlin are just a couple of companies that can build a 600-700 big block for pump gas. Expect to spend between 7 and 9 thousand for a complete engine.
SteveM.

Hustler
07-13-2001, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info. Does Merlin have a website?
Hustler

Oldsquirt
07-13-2001, 06:06 PM
The company is actually called World Castings (or World Products). The Merlin is their version of the BBC. http://www.worldcastings.com
The engines are available through many sources, just try doing a web search for Merlin 540

GottaHaveIt
09-17-2001, 08:51 PM
I say put that small-port smog motor on the
end of a long chain and buy a real Big Block.
-SpinnerHead

HBjet
09-17-2001, 09:24 PM
Hustler, I'm running out of donuts, call Dave at DNE Motorsports Development in Costa Mesa. He builds some very reliable and fast 600-700hp motors. Also Jack next door can dial in your pump for your motor choice. Talk to Dave though, you will be impressed.
HBjet

Leon
09-17-2001, 09:25 PM
The finished pieces of World Products are the Bill Mitchell HARDCORE engines. The blocks that World manufactures are the Merlin and others as well.

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
09-18-2001, 08:14 PM
Get ahold of Screamin' Eagle Racing Engines. Specializes in big cubic inch motors. Nat. aspirated to blown alcohol engines. Does alot of work for Offshore racing teams and some IHRA promod guys.

superdave013
09-18-2001, 09:03 PM
I see your in So Cal. You might want to talk to George at Clay Smith Cams. Not the cheepset guy but he is the only guy that I use. He's also a jet boater from way back and will set you up right the frist time.

beached1
09-19-2001, 05:25 AM
HB,
If you are talking about Doughnuts, then you get a big F from me. I couldn't find any at Jacks shop. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Seriously, I think HB's right. Just think you could get your engine and pump done at the same time.

froggystyle
09-19-2001, 09:47 AM
Just a thought here Hustler. I know that if you run a set of big oval heads (049 for example) and a 454 crank with a custom set of pistons you can get from nearly anyone, you get a stroker 427 that really has a ton of torque out of your block. The 049's are still plentiful, and make great blower heads when done right. Save your cash. Find a builder to hook up the stroker motor, spend the extra you would have spent on a Merlin on a nice huffer, and build a 700 hp blower motor that runs super easily at 6-8 lbs of boost and pump gas.
I built this same motor in an off-road vehicle I had, that needed a lot of torque and good top-end performance for freeway work, and thought the whole time about how much better suited this engine would have been in a nice boat.
On the same note, have you thought of leaving your boat alone and building a boat for speed? I thought the coolest thing about the Hustler was that it ran. It sounds great, runs hard, and starts every time (providing there is gas on board!). Buy a pickelfork to go fast, or better yet, just ride in RR's when you feel the need!

Hustler
09-19-2001, 10:28 AM
froggy i hear ya on the pickle fork, I have been thinking alot about that lately. Hey give me call if you can, I'de liked to talk to about something I could use you expertise on.
Hustler

Monkey
09-19-2001, 11:02 AM
I could get you a real good deal on 19' Shadow at Ultra right now. It's got some red in it, should putt along nicely when finished. Tell you what, I'll let you have it for 2 banana trees, a sliver keg, and 3 Victoria's Secret models. Deal? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/indifferent04.gif

Hustler
09-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Monkey you got a deal when can i pick it up, and did you put the Hufer on it? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy11.gif
Hustler