PDA

View Full Version : Question for those that play @ Glamis

BigDogIvan
11-15-2004, 10:32 PM
I have a Baja that at this point don't want to register for the street but have thought about taking it to Glamis to run around in. What are the laws on this if I were to go? Do i need to have registration (license plates) to run around off road of coarse?
BD

rvrpig
11-15-2004, 10:33 PM
from what i undersatnd u have to regester it in cali as a offroad vehicle...just like a car....not sure of the cost or if u have to have insurance like aroad car.

Racer277
11-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Yeah you need a "green sticker". An offroad registration for it. God only knows why. The money is supposed to go to improving our off road areas. A few years ago, Davis decided he needed it to go towards the state debt. It may be back on track now, but I haven't seen any improvement at a OHV area in a long time.
But, back to your issue.
The DMV can issue you the reg. You will also need a flag.
Sorry for the rant.

PHOTOGLOU
11-15-2004, 10:43 PM
With a green sticker don't drive on the road even Gecko rd, only straight over ITS A MOVING VIOLATION

Mrs. casean
11-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Everything that runs out there has to be registered and have a license plate or green/red sticker... not sure which is the right one... depends on the vehicle. But I know for our golf cart, we are illegal out there w/o having it registered w/ a green sticker, but we have been fine so far, but on a holiday weekend for sure you have a much higher chance getting stopped and possibly ticketed. I'd get it registered to not have any worries. I just know the basics, but know that everything out there has to be registered, even the kids small bikes that can't even go on rides, just playing around camp they might get ya...

BigDogIvan
11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
A couple has said something about a "Green" sticker. What is this and how do you get it. If I register this for the street I would get in a Heap of trouble. :hammerhea and I don't need that.
BD

Bense468
11-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Here are some rules. This are off of glamisonline. Glamisdunes links are not working. From my understanding green and red sticker only applies to california, but I may be wrong. Any doubt the ranger station number is listed below. Please remember to clean up your trash. Be careful and make sure you run a flag. Hope this helps.
These rules apply to public lands from one mile north of Mammoth Wash to the Mexican border ( north and south) and from the Southern Pacific Railroad, Ogilby Road and the Boardmanville area, to the old Coachella Canal (east to west). This is a synopsis of the rules, for further clarification please call (760) 337-4400 or contact Cahuilla Ranger Station. Please remember, it is your responsibility to know the law.
SAFETY FLAGS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES IN THE IMPERIAL SAND DUNES REC. AREA.
All vehicles shall be equipped with an 8 foot whip mast and a 6x12 inch red or orange flag. Masts must be securely mounted on the vehicle and extend 8 feet from the ground to the mast tip.
A 15 M.P .H. SPEED RULE EXIST ON THE SAND HIGHWAYS.
No person shall operate an OHV in excess of 15 m,p.h. on public lands within 500 feet of Highway 78, Grays Well Road, Gecko Road, and access roads within Gecko and Roadrunner recreation sites.
FIRES- The burning of potentially hazardous materials e.g. (but not limited to) gas, oil, plastic and magnesium is prohibited.
NO GLASS BEVERAGE CONTAINERS ARE ALLOWED. Possession or use of any glass cup or bottle empty or not is prohibited.
NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ALLOWED WHILE RIDING ON BLM LANDS.
No person shall drink an alcoholic beverage, have in their possession or person, any open container that contains an alcoholic beverage while operating in or on a motor vehicle on public lands administered by BLM within California. NO PERSON UNDER THE AGE OF 21 SHALL BE IN POSSESSION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.
USE OF AUDIO DEVICES. No person shall: (1) Operate or use any audio device, such as a radio, television, musical instrument, or other noise producing device or motorized equipment between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. in a manner that makes unreasonable noise that disturbs other visitors; or (2) operate or use a public address system without written authorization from the BLM.
PUBLIC NUDITY. Public nudity is prohibited in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area.
UNAUTHORIZED ORGANIZED EVENT. No person shall participate in or sponsor an unauthorized organized event (Example bands, videos, movies etc. ).
RIDING IN PICKUP BEDS AND OTHER UNSAFE ACTIVITIES. No person shall ride in the bed of a pick up truck or any part of a motor vehicle not designed for passengers on OR off road.
RESERVING OF CAMPING SPACES IS PROHIBITED; SITES AE ALLOCATED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS.
TAKING OFF OR LANDING AIRCRAFT, INCLUDING ULTRALIGHTS, IS PROHIBITED WITHIN 1 MILE OF GECKO ROAD.
DUMPING SEWAGE AND GREY WATER IS PROHIBITED.
A 14 DAY CAMPING LIMIT IS IN EFFECT IN THE IMPERIAL SAND DUNES RECREATION AREA.
NO PARKING OR CAMPING WITHIN 10 FEET OF PAVEMENT ON GECKO ROAD.
NO PARKING OR CAMPING WITHIN 30 FEET OF HIGHWAY 78 BETWEEN GECKO ROAD AND Glamis FLATS OFF RAMP.
SHOOTING IS PROHIBITED WITHIN ½ MILE OF CAMPGROUNDS AND SHOULD BE CONDUCTED WELL AWAY FORM OTHER CONCENTRATIONS OF PEOPLE AND PROPERTY.
ANIMALS MUST BE KEPT ON A LEASH NOT LONGER THAN SIX FEET AND SECURED TO A FIXED OBJECT OR UNDER THE CONTROL OF A PERSON, OR OTHERWISE PHYSICALLY RESTRICTED AT ALL TIMES.
BLM supplementary rules re-established under authority of 43 CFR 8365.1-6. Violations of the rules are punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 and/or imprisonment not to exceed 12 months (43 CFR 8360.0- 7). Also, all OHV's must be operated in accordance with State laws and regulations relating to use, registration, operation, and inspection of OHV's (43 CFR 8341.1 { a} ).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STATE OF CALIFORNIA OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE LAWS
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: Visit Cahuilla Ranger Station on Gecko Road, 760-344-3919, or BLM's El Centro Resource Office, 1661 4th Street, El Centro, CA. 92243,760-337-4400
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY A PARTIAL LIST - FOR THE COMPLETE DOCUMENT, SEE THE CALIFORNIA MOTOR VEHICLE CODE
HELMET USAGE. All persons, regardless of age, who operate or ride all terrain vehicles (ATV's) on public lands in California must wear an approved safety helmet. (38505 C. V .C. )
PARENTAL SUPERVISION. No operator of an all-terrain vehicle shall carry a passenger while operating on public lands. (38506 C.V.C)
OPERATING AN OHV UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL AND/OR DRUGS.
It is unlawful for any person who is under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or any drug, or under the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug, to drive a vehicle. (23152(a) C.V.C). Driving while license is suspended/revoked off road as well;: on road is against the law. (14601 C.V.C.)
SPEED LAWS.
1. Basic speed law: Don't operate an off-highway vehicle faster than it is safe for conditions. (38305 C.V.C)
2. Prima Facie Speed Limit: The prima facie speed limit within 50 feet of any campground, campsite, or concentration of people or animals shall be under 15 m.p.h. unless changed as authorized by the code (38310 C.V.C)
REGISTRATION
1. Vehicles operated on federal and state highways, county roads, and BLM's Gecko Road, Gray's Well Road, and Mccain Valley must be licensed for highway use.
2. Off highway vehicles owned by California residents must be registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles and display a valid "Green Sticker" Vehicle Identification Tag (38020,38010 (C.V.C) in a clearly visible location on the vehicle. (38170 C. V .C)
3. Beginning 1/1/98, off highway vehicles that do not have a valid registration of permit from the owners home state (incl. Mexico and Canada) will be required to purchase a special California permit (sticker) through selected vendors in California and Nevada or the a California Dept. of Parks and Recreation ( 916324-4442 (38020 C.V.C)
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT.According to California State law, any off highway vehicle must be equipped with an approved muffler brakes, and spark arrester. Headlight and taillight are required for operation at night. Tail lights must include at least one red light.
ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE. No person shall operate on off-highway vehicle in a manner likely to cause environmental damage (38319 C.V.C.,43 CFR8341.1 {f} {4} ).
FIREARMS. California State law -Firearms must not be discharged within 150 yards of residences, buildings, campsites, occupied areas, RECREATIONAL AREAS, or domestic livestock. No shooting from or across any road. No shooting from a vehicle. It is unlawful to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

BADBLOWN572
11-15-2004, 11:23 PM
A green sitcker is a sticker that is basically a liscenes plate for an off road vehicle. You need to go down to the DMV and register the vehicle for off highway use. Won't be able to run it on the street, but off road should not be a problem. It will be registered as a recreational off highway vehicle. The only difference between a "green" sticker and a "red" sticker is the time of the year that you can use it. I am not sure about the exact dates, but if you get a red sticker you won't be able to run it certain times of the year. I could be mistaken, but I believe that as long as it is a 4 stroke, you get a green sticker. I could be wrong, I am not sure. I would check with the DMV. Unfortuneately you can no longer register an off highway vehicle at AAA and you must go to the DMV.

rvrpig
11-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Talked to my brother who is CHP and he suggested just regestering it as normal and just using it offorad....that way u can be covered with insurance for death and damages... and with the year of your bug it whould pass no problem...the older the easier it is. If all else fails then just fix the basics (turn signal, window, etc to get by). you can put cheep temp. stuff on to get it regetered for the raod and that would cover all your bases.

Bense468
11-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Badblown... red sticker only applys to glamis during the summer months from my understanding. I believe it is OCT-April or May you can run a red sticker at Glamis legally. Red sticker means it is registered to only run certian times. Last I heard you can run one in Glamis and Dumont during prime season. The way glamis is getting though things may change.

Bense468
11-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Talked to my brother who is CHP and he suggested just regestering it as normal and just using it offorad....that way u can be covered with insurance for death and damages... and with the year of your bug it whould pass no problem...the older the easier it is. If all else fails then just fix the basics (turn signal, window, etc to get by). you can put cheep temp. stuff on to get it regetered for the raod and that would cover all your bases.
I am not trying to start shit...but I highly doubt that they will cover you for damages if they found out it was in glamis. again I may be wrong. Been going my whole life and heard quite a few stories that sounded different then what you listed.
On another note and not to discredit your brother...but I got pulled over one time on my banshee because my custom led tail light went out wire came un-done while riding. It was a major weekend so they pulled in Sheriffs, local cops etc. The guy was a sheriff and didn't know any of the off road codes or laws. He had them written on his arm with a sharpie. Was not sure what to right on the ticket so I was unsure of my name and address :wink: . Regardless if it is registered for highway use you still need to follow the laws I listed above for off road use. IE flag, etc. If you have any questions I would recommend calling the ranger station for the low down.

rvrpig
11-15-2004, 11:33 PM
yes u need to fallow the laws like flags and stuff..but cant u run a vehicle with a license plate more place in glamis than just a green sticker vehicle?
Having some form of insurance is better than none right...it MIGHT help???